• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    One of the main pessimistic opinions I've found that people have over this game are the designs when it comes to Pokémon. There are only five "released" Pokémon that we can actually see. With that said, there are so many people would there who go around complaining that Pokémon are becoming less and less original and that the people in charge of making them are basically running out of ideas and recycling parts from old Pokémon.

Do you think they're running out of ideas?

Personally, I don't see where they're coming from. I mean, there are only five Pokémon that are being introduced in this generation that are out there yet and so many people are criticizing the fact that they're running out of ideas based on just five things? Seems kind of picky to me. Sure, there are some features in the starters that I can see in other starters. Especially with Tsutaaja; although it's my favorite, it does remind me a lot of Treecko. But to go as far as to criticize the fact that they could be running out of ideas? That's a little too far for me to judge.

What about you?

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I think that there is some fantastic fan art and ideas out there including whats underneath the spoiler of this post. I think that they should take advantage of this and hold competitions for pokemon designs and as an award you get your name in the credits of the game. For much less the fans will do much more, and I think it would really spice up the pokemon selection.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    No, I don't think they are losing Ideas at all. I mean, people say the only Pokemon is Red and Blue, but I think all of them are great. I think the designs for the Pokemon we have seen so far for Generation 5 are awesome! So I think they aren't losing ideas at all.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Well I definitely think that they're going to run out of ideas eventually, if not soon. But from what we've seen so far, I think that they're doing perfectly fine. Of course we're going to come across some Pokemon that resemble one another, but in the real world we come across similar looking things a lot of the times too, right? And just by reading another thread in this section "What animals do you think they'll make?", I can already tell you that Game Freak hasn't come close to making every single kind of animal or thing into a Pokemon. And yeah, we're all going to come across those few guys that we personally say to ourselves, "WTF were they thinking?!" but in the end I think it's going to be fine (for this generation at least).

Translucent

You just gestured to all of me
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    Maye not running out of idea per say, but the pokemon don't really...look like...pokemon anymore. I mean, I don't really see the aspect of pokemon anymore. THey kind of remind me of Digimon and pokemon combined. xD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Nintendo, running out of ideas?

Are we, the fans, running out of ideas?

We can go over to deviantArt and do a quick search on "fakemon" and then we can get a bazillion and a half results of fakemon (poorly drawn or not) based on just as many things. I mean, we have imaginations and clearly so do they. If anything they might even spawn ideas looking off of fan artwork. No, I don't think they're running out of ideas, and I don't think they ever will (until like the eighth generation anyway; and you all know that's going to come eventually ): ).

I think that the five Pokémon that we've seen thus far are pretty imaginative, although Tsutaja does look a bit similar to Treecko and Pokabu reminds me of Spoink. But there are other Pokémon that have been similar and even introduced in the same generation. Plusle and Minun Nidoran and Nidoran Jigglypuff and Clefairy, anyone?

There'll likely be bad seeds in this latest bunch of Pokémon but there are always a few bad designs in every generation. It'll be all good.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Those who say that GameFreak is running out of ideas with Pokémon really leave me confused. If Pokémon was actually running out of ideas, then the franchise itself would not have gotten so far, so quickly. If anything, they're actually putting in more time and thought with their Pokémon now, than they did before. Looking at designs from the 1st and 2nd Generations alone compared to the 3rd and 4th, Pokémon has evolved. They've become more complex in that they're not simply a cat with just a gold coin on it's forehead for example. They've taken other ideas and other forms to change that, which I think has only made each generation grow.

With only five Pokémon actually "revealed" I think it's a little too soon to jump the gun and say that this Generation will be absolute fail. More so, it's probably going to be the most different, yes, but in a creative way. I mean looking at Tsutaaja, it's based as a Grass Snake Pokémon. With legs and arms, we question how it is based on a snake? Well, that's just the creative part of it all and to see what it evolves into is always questionable. So no, I don't think Pokémon is running out of ideas with Black and White. To me, they're just taking another step up and keeping the generation unique to the others.

Years
  • how is it "going too far" to say that they're running out of ideas? going to far would be like actually criticizing the new pokemon and complaining on how ugly/horrible/dumb etc.. they look. or making a complaint to game freak or something hahaha

and yeah in my opinion they're running out of new and fresh ideas. and they are looking less and less like pokemon and more like digimon or machines or something xP

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    To me, they almost certainly started running out of ideas with the generations III and IV. Just look at I and II and see the startling differences between the Pokemon... their designs are so much more alive and feel so much more genuine to what their successors felt like. That said, I did enjoy a lot of new ideas employed in the later games that weren't around for the earlier ones.

But this is about the upcoming generation, not conflicted thoughts about previous ones. Honestly, my expectations have been exceeded by the five pocket monsters we've been presented with. If the standard keeps up, the new generation would easily live up to what generations I and II set in stone.

I think it's too early to properly judge originality as well, so I'll just leave it at that.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • People who honestly think that GF is running out of ideas must be beyond naive. I could argue the very definition of idea here by saying that every pokemon is an idea (yes even Nosepass, someone had to think him up) but I think that'd be a trivial waste of my time. In reality though, the latest Pokemon we've seen are only getting more original and more original. Just because you can see elements of another Pokemon in a Poke doesn't mean it's unoriginal, heck it's realistic. I can find similiarities between a Robin and a Blue Jay; a Duck and a Swan; a beaver, a badger and a bear; that's just the truth of nature, Pokemon really does a splendid job of keeping it's designs fresh. Yes the original generations were simpler and may of us grew up with them but that magic was re-lived in many of these later generation but these Pokemon get hated on for being boring and stupid, go figure. The truth is current generations (generation 5 probably won't be an exception) are based on their few stinkers instead of all the great Pokemon and (far fewer) bad Pokemon combined. That's how the conversations go,

Person 1:"Wow Bibarel is such a terrible design, generation 4 Pokemon suck"
    Person 2:"But what about awesome designs like Drapion, Frosslass, Lucario, Mismagius and Garchomp?"
    Person 1:"Yeah but Bidoof and Bibarel suck, Generation 4 sucks"

Person 1:"I love second generation Pokemon so much, I mean look at Skarmory's design among others!!"
    Person 2:"Yeah but Dunsparce has a stupid, stupid design, so really 2nd generation sucks."
    Person 1:"Are you kidding me? Based off on one Pokemon? How can you say that?"

Exactly the way generations are judged and I really hope Generation V isn't judged that way cause so far it's awesome.

As far as the 5th generation Pokemon, I, thankfully, haven't seen or read that many complaints about them. I think they do well as to show that GF is not running out of ideas and that they can still make Pokemon that every grows and loves. I hope this generation they stay way from evo/pre-evos of past Pokemon and only add a couple as these Pokemon are the only really fair comparision and even then are overly judged on fan bias. Either way Zorua, Zoroark, Mjumaru, Pokabu and Tsutaaja are all a nice breath of fresh air to me. They prove once again that GF is not running out of ideas and that Pokemon is in good hands.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Personally, I think that its impossible to run out of ideas. I think that we may run out of species of animals and start doing random subspecies, but GF can always make ORIGINAL creatures. Ideas are endless.

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    ever since bidoof, ive belived they are out of ideas. bidoof are useless!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Let me put this simpily:
    NO!
    Theres loads of things to explore for ideas... I agree with Dillion_68 ^ Its like, impossable to run out of ideas!

Years
  • i think if people say they're running out of ideas its THEIR opinion. its not like they're trying to force you to believe what they believe so dont try to force them to think like you:)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    ever since bidoof, ive belived they are out of ideas. bidoof are useless!
    Waffle-San already addressed how I would reply to this, but you really shouldn't let one bad Pokémon design affect your opinion on better things to come. After all, Bidoof is just one Pokémon.

Bruno™

Elite Four Member
    Years
  • I actaully love the new designs so far , but you are correct .
    You cannot base an entire Generation off of 5 Pokemon .

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • ever since bidoof, ive belived they are out of ideas. bidoof are useless!

Case in point. >.<
    What Patchisou Yutohru said.

I think for all you people who believe GF is running out of ideas it's really more that you think they aren't putting as much effort in. Which could be true, I don't know, I personally don't think so. It's obvious that GF is putting alot of effort into Generation 5 and I expect that to continue with the Pokemon designs

Years
  • My only problem with the pokemon is that they change the names.

I want Zorua, Zoroark, and those other 3 to keep their names, and lots of others aswell (although things like Froslass are best kept how they are, some would be good as a direct translation. Rukario, anybody?).

Because I started with Emerald, went forwards, then backwards, then forwards again:

Emerald-Ranger-Diamond-LeafGreen-Platinum-SoulSilver

I think most of the designs are good. And, tbh, some designs from Gen I were crappy, and Gen II, and Gen III, and Gen IV.

However, some of the most creative, i.e. Manaphy and Phione which are based on sea slugs and Castform, often get criticised too easily.

Legendaries aren't even getting unimaginative, there's just too many!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back