• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do looks matter?

Capris

Banned
Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Probably not exactly what you were expecting.

I like music. But I try not to watch music videos or research artists because, for whatever reason, if I find an artist that isn't my idea of good looking the song to me gets degraded. It's really shallow but it can really ruin it for me so I try to avoid seeing the artist.

Does this apply to you?

I didn't know if this should go in ovp since it sort of fits being a poll, or if it should go in music for obvious reasons so I just stuck it in ovp because I'm already here. Sorry if it's wrong.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hey, that's an interesting topic. I actually do the same in most cases. I don't like to know what the artist looks like. For a good while, I was afraid to know what Kings of Leon looked like. But I mean, I wasn't disappointed when I did find out. I think that if I love the music enough, then I should be okay to know what they look like. Sometimes if they sound weird, I like to go see what they look like. For instance, the band Hypernova made me think of big guys with burly beards and such, but when I looked at their pics on last.fm, they were nothing of the sort. Haha. Just depends for me~!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Most of the time, I'm curious what the artist looks like in a music video, so looks matter to me. If the artist is ugly, then I won't bother watching the video.

E.C.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    it doesn't matter if the artist looks different than i thought they would look like, its still going to be the same music whether the person looks good looking or ugly as hell.

Years
  • I'm kinda with Elite Charizard on this one. If i really like a song then find out what the artist looks like i think "woah he/she is weird" but i still listen to them.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Uh no. The appearance of the artist doesn't really matter to me much. I listen to music, and it's solely the music that I evaluate... but yeah, I mean.. if the artist has good looks, it does influence me a tad bit. But in general, appearances don't matter to me much.

Black Prince

±♠ サヨナラ ♠±
    Years
  • Hell yeah, this is the same for me.
    I have a certain feeling when I listen to music, and when I saw some artists pic', that feeling wasn't the same anymore, though I loved it.
    So I avoid watching clips or pictures. I like picturing my own idea of the artist, and etc...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The fact that I don't know what half the people that I listen to look like, I would say that it doesn't matter to me. I mean, it's not their looks I'm judging in the first place anyways; it's their talent that I'm judging.

If the artist is good looking when I do happen to see an image of the artist, then it's simply a bonus that they're good looking.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
    Years
  • I'm with peaches on this. Don't know what the majority of artists i listen to actually look like, the ones i do wether they are attractive or not it doesn't change my opinion of the music.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't ever care at all what an artist looks like, I'm listening to their music not deciding whether I want to offer them a career in modelling.
    I know what all of my favourite musicians look like, and they just look like normal people. Not exceptionally good looking, not exceptionally revolting. I'm sure anyone that really has a passion for music would not care at all what the artist looks like. I find it funny that celebrities and anyone who holds any fame are subject to such criticism from people that are likely no more exceptional themselves, either in looks or personality.
    "If you're famous, you have to be good looking!"

Image, however, can be pretty important. Fashion, live shows, behaviour, activism, etc. that can influence people a lot and I think it's quite an important aspect of the music world. Those are the things that turn a musician into an icon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • As long as their singing is good and I like their music and lyrics and vocals, what they actually look like is of no concern to me. Heck, I like some of the old '80's artists with the big hair xD

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Moving this to the Culture & Media forum. Sometimes its hard to distinguish what belongs in OVP or in a forum that caters to a specific interest. So I won't hold it against you.

And a cool looking video is pretty much fun to watch a few times and make a few GIFs from. Then I usually forget about them after a while unless I feel like reminiscing about a video one of my favorite artists made.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • the appearance of the musicians don't really matter to me but how they perform their song does

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    "If you're famous, you have to be good looking!"

It probably applies more to actors and I'm just the minority when it comes to music. It does sort of make sense though, nobody is obligated to be famous so we shouldn't be complaining when people expect them to look good.

But I honestly don't know why I am the way I am about the music, it's just a real turn off to find a song and then watch the video and it turning out to be a 40 year old guy or something. Like I said it's shallow but in my mind I imagine something completely different when I'm listening to it so I'd rather keep it that way.

Like the video on my profile, it's a really nice song but I liked it that much less when I went and watched the video. Nobody in the video is even ugly it's just not what I had pictured in my head.

Moving this to the Culture & Media forum. Sometimes its hard to distinguish what belongs in OVP or in a forum that caters to a specific interest. So I won't hold it against you.

And a cool looking video is pretty much fun to watch a few times and make a few GIFs from. Then I usually forget about them after a while unless I feel like reminiscing about a video one of my favorite artists made.

Thanks. :)

And I do watch videos when it's somebody like Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, etcetera. Because I already know what they look like.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I don't think it influences me much, unless it's a band with a female singer with a hot voice who turns out to be really ugly. Then it's ruined.

I was watching live concert performance of Going to Georgia by The Mountain Goats and spent a lot of time laughing because his facial expressions were hilarious. I think his face does look a little awkward, but it doesn't make me think any different of their music.

Years
  • Image, however, can be pretty important. Fashion, live shows, behaviour, activism, etc. that can influence people a lot and I think it's quite an important aspect of the music world. Those are the things that turn a musician into an icon.
    I was going to say something along these lines. If there's an artist I like a lot I'll want to know what their style is because I hope that it will make me like them more for their creativity or whatnot. If they turn out not to have an interesting style then I'm a little disappointed, but it's not something that really affects my music preferences.

That's as far as I'll go though. I try not to learn anything about musicians' real lives and especially not their politics for fear that it will make me not want to listen to their music anymore. Luckily this hasn't happened for me yet.

And I never start out by looking an artist's image and seeing what their music is like. It's got to be the music first.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    It doesn't influence me and it shouldn't influence anyone. Music isn't affected by looks, it's affected by genius and creativity.

Music is an art form, not a beauty contest.

Ayselipera

Yes it does. Whenever I like an artist and I hear their music (this only applies for male artists) I tend to imagine them as extremely good looking. So when I then go to look them up and find out that they are far from good looking it puts a damper on the music when I try listening to it again. I won't hate their music afterwards I just won't be as into it. I tend to not know what any of my favorite artists look like because of that. I just don't bother ever looking them up.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It depends...I have an extreme dislike of Amy Winehouse because she does drugs, and she looks incredibly weird. However, I also don't like her music...but I guess I disliked her before I ever really listened to her music.

But tbh, unless they're a mass-murderer, I don't care too much. People slag off Matt Bellamy for being a "posh rock-star" but I still listen to Muse. And people says that Jared Leto's a (insert nasty words here), but I and those same people still listen to 30 seconds to mars - after all, the music's good, so who cares?

Back