The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

This is something I've been working on for a while now. It's a fairly simple Fire Red hack- I've mostly left Kanto alone as it's a perfectly serviceable region. The game uses a custom regional dex containing 150 mons from all five gens and edits various minor things. It aims to be moderately difficult- not a cakewalk, but not much nastier than say Platinum.

I don't really have much to say though, so I'll let the screenshots speak for me:

With regards to features: Like I said, it's just Kanto with a different 150 mons. I've played around with moves and movepools, and most of the trainers have different teams due to the roster being completely different, but otherwise it's pretty standard fare.

And some errata:

Gym Levels:
Spoiler:
Brock: 14, 15
Surge: 21, 23, 23
Misty*: 27, 28, 28
Giovanni I: 32, 33, 33, 34, 33
Erika: 36, 35, 36, 37
Koga: 43, 42, 43, 44, 45
Giovanni II: 46, 48, 47, 48, 49
Sabrina: 48, 49, 50, 49, 52
Blaine: 54, 55, 55, 55, 56
Giovanni III: 57, 58, 58, 58, 59, 60

Elite 4:
Lorelei: 62, 62, 62, 63, 63
Bruno: 63, 63, 63, 64, 64
Agatha: 64, 64, 64, 65, 65
Lance: 65, 65, 66, 66, 66, 67
Champion: 68, 68, 68, 68, 69, 70

Unknown Dungeon: 71, 72, 72, 73, 73, 73

Elite 4 Rematches**:
Lorelei: 75, 75, 75, 75, 76, 76
Bruno: 76, 76, 76, 76, 77, 77
Agatha: 77, 77, 77, 77, 78, 78
Lance: 78, 78, 78, 79, 79, 79
Champion: 80, 80, 80, 81, 81, 82

*Misty and Surge have switched gyms.
**The E4 use their rematch teams after you finish the Unknown Dungeon, which opens after beating the E4 the first time. They are also significantly harder than anything else in the hack.

Evolution Changes:
Spoiler:
Togepi -> Togetic at level 21.
Togetic -> Togekiss at level 33.
Happiny -> Chansey at level 15.
Chansey -> Blissey at level 38.
Petilil -> Lilligant using Leaf Stone.
Cottonee -> Whimsicott using Leaf Stone.
Yanma -> Yanmega at level 33.
Onix -> Steelix at level 34.
Gurdurr -> Conkeldurr at level 42.
Riolu -> Lucario at level 30.
Gligar -> Gliscor at level 35.
Mantyke -> Mantine at level 28.
Magneton -> Magnezone at level 45.
Kadabra -> Alakazam at level 37.
Boldore -> Gigalith at level 38.
Snorunt -> Froslass at level 42.
Murkrow -> Honchkrow at level 37.
Haunter -> Gengar at level 38.
Dusclops -> Dusknoir at level 49.
Sneasel -> Weavile at level 45.
Scyther -> Scizor using Moon Stone.
Slowpoke -> Slowbro or Slowking at level 37 depending on personality.
Electabuzz -> Electivire at level 46.
Magmar -> Magmortar at level 46
Rhydon -> Rhyperior at level 49.
Deino -> Zweilous at level 30.
Zweilous -> Hydreigon at level 55.
Larvesta -> Volcarona at level 52.

Misc. Notes:
Spoiler:
- This hack uses the Physical/Special split. You can tell which moves are physical and which are special in the status screen.
- The intended order for midgame is Rocket Hideout -> Celadon Gym -> Pokemon Tower -> Fuchsia Gym -> Fighting Dojo -> Silph Co. -> Saffron Gym -> Seafoam Islands -> Cinnabar Island.
- Access to the Sevii Islands has been removed.
- The move relearner has moved to Cinnabar Island's Pokemon Center. You do not have to pay him anything for his services.
- The NPC blocking the path to Route 3 before fighting Brock has moved to Mt. Moon's entrance.
- The starter triangle is skewed towards Blaziken- however the rival ditches their starter before it matters, so don't let that influence your decision.
- The rival has a nasty surprise on his team in the second Route 22 battle. It is something that you can have at this point (unless you picked Snivy, in which case you can get it in 10 minutes), so don't be *too* resentful.
- There is usually no penalty for using evolution stones early- this is so you don't have to stress over evolving at the right level.
- Many leaders now use different types.
- Cottonee and Petilil evolve by Leaf Stone instead of Sun Stone.
- All trade and happiness evolutions have been replaced with level evolutions.
- There is a store at Indigo Plateau which sells almost all TMs- don't be afraid to use them. (The one TM it doesn't sell can be purchased in Cerulean Cave.)
- There is an NPC in Vermillion who gives you one evolutionary stone- the rest can be bought in the Department store. (Moon Stones are only purchase-able in post-game, and Sun Stones are unavailable).
- Explosion and SelfDestruct no longer half defense.
- Metal Claw and Steel Wing now occasionally lower the foe's Defense and Attack, respectively.
- Shadow Punch has been buffed to 90 BP.

Credits:
Spoiler:
Wiznatts, Charliemew2, and evilnook53 for early beta testing and feedback
Wiznatts, Charliemew2, Tailes, Ingrid, Chaos Rush, and marciocjr for pokemon sprites
Wiznatts and Ploaj for menu sprites
Agastya for being a butt and wanting to be in the credits fifteen times playtesting and finding a bunch of bugs
Advance Series
Darthatron's BW2 Repel System port
UNLZ
A-Map
XSE
YAPE
Move Editor
Pokemon Cry Import Tool and Pokecry
Sappy
PGE for confirming that my tutor hex editing worked
HxD for being the most powerful tool in a hacker's arsenal
The various guides, tutorials, and discussion here on Pokecommunity- in particular Darthatron's Physical/Special icon hack and "Previously on your quest..." removal hack, Hackmew's Running indoors hack and ASM tutorial, and Jambo51's research on Battle Scripts and his vital pointers to the animation script table.

There exists another version of this with sprites borrowed from Vega- I have removed them from this one as I do not have explicit permission to use them.

And finally, the download link for v1.16b is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zc...Hackv1.16b.zip

Please have fun. Criticism and feedback are welcome, both positive and negative.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split

Last edited by DoesntKnowHowToPlay; September 27th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:51 AM
wilso
Grass Master

Nature: Hardy
love hacks like this btw snivy as starter o.O awesome
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:08 AM
meboli
Unhatched Egg

Old October 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

It's complete and playable. I reserve the right to fix things later but the game is essentially done.

Physical/Special Split
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
this does look interesting. And it's complete?! Yeah...I'll try it.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out...dude...Coil on a Furret was ingenious. LOL Shoulda thought of that myself. Hm, other than that...you prolly shoulda picked a better name for this hack. :p

Last edited by The Grubby Pup; October 7th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Projectwolfie
I play for keeps!

Oh hey, YAFRH is in PC!

I've been following your hack for a little while, it's head-over-heels compared to a good few of the minor hacks I've played and some hacks that are even more customized. Definitely nice to see it here.

Last edited by Projectwolfie; October 7th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Volcanix769
Known as the Quilava Guy!

Nature: Careful
I'm playing now, and I am amazed by how you set this game. The moves that you did is very good when you did the P/S Class Split and I'll try to do the challenge! But will you change the FR/LG sprites of the trainers? I know that this is still FR/LG, but I wonder on what you think of them. EDIT: Why does Lillipup have Lick?

Last edited by Volcanix769; October 7th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Gameplay-wise, Lick is there because it's an egg move in vanilla that isn't terribly threatening early, while providing a useful paralysis chance. Flavor-wise, Lillipup has Lick because it's a dog. They tend to do that. :V

And I don't think I'll be replacing the trainer sprites anytime soon- they're fairly minor, already functional, and in my opinion look better than most of the shrunk-down sprites I've seen. I also still need to replace a bunch of Pokemon sprites before I even start with the trainers...

As for the name- I think it works, and I wanted to break from the usual Pokemon Word formula most hacks use.

Physical/Special Split
Old October 11th, 2012, 02:39 AM
HeroesAndCons

My favourite feature is the Physical / Special split XD Nice job, although the gyms can be kind of... well... REALLY difficult (even Brock was a challenge) =/ Still, it;s great fun, and I LOVE that you put in Hydreigon and Volcarona, my 2 fav 5th gen pokemon. XD
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Saltsas

man you have done a wonderful job!You deserve much more credit for this :D I have started it and have been playing for 2 hours non-stop :D As HeroesAndCons said the gym leaders were difficult but it's more like a challenge like this ;) good luck if you continue this!
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:14 PM
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

Nature: Calm
end game seems short considering you have removed sevii islands, but the difficulty seems nice

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM
HeroesAndCons

I need to ask: where is Deino? I want Hydreigon before I fight the E4, I'm in Victory Road at the moment and still haven't found it =(

also, I love the hack, the only real complaint I have is:
Spoiler:
I don;t like Legendaries being used by the rival or e4, they should only use normal pokemon IMO.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Deino is easiest to catch as a rare encounter in the Cinnabar Mansion, though you can also try looking in the Safari Zone if you're feeling lucky.

Spoiler:
The rival specifically gets a legendary because he's supposed to be on par with the player- plenty of players have no qualms about using them, so why should he? It's more fitting with his character that he *would* go for one, I feel. They're also only 600 BST- closer to Dragonite than the horribly destructive beasts they are in the main games.

Nobody else uses legendaries until the Elite 4 rematch, where I gave more focus to making it challenging than flavor- with regards to those, keep in mind that even Game Freak has no qualms about giving legendaries to late-game super-bosses.

With regards to postgame- yes, it is a bit short. It's mainly there since some people complained that the main game was too easy.

Physical/Special Split

Last edited by DoesntKnowHowToPlay; October 12th, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:39 AM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
I've been juggling this and B/W2...And man, brock caught me offguard with those fighting type. I'm sorry, I just had to put that out.

Man, dat battle was just criminal...I caught a Petili and everything. :x Gettin' Work Up after the battle was cool tho. Inside Mt. Moon now and caught a Riolu.
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Why hasn't this thread had more replies? This hack is amazing! n______n I didn't know 4/5th Gen mechanics could be put into a 3rd Gen game? And the new moves and abilities JUST WOW. <3

I hope you can create something like this on Emerald, now that would be amazingly amazing. icba with words today.

There is a small, tiny minuscule bug I noticed. Well, not so much a bug but a graphic error. The sign showing that a Pokemon's move is a special one has a few pixel errors, not huge but I thought I'd just report it. n_n
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Bix Nood

Sh*t, you're amazing. I'm Quiver Dancing like hell.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Saltsas

well I actually won the league for 1st time(after trying 15 times xD ) and i have to say that it is awesome.The league for second time after the cerulean cave is seriously unbeatable.I have some questions though *Spoiler Alert* don't read the rest: Regigigas and Darkrai aren't in the pokedex? And are they and Genesect obtainable? Thanks :D
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Agastya
Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.

Nature: Quiet
The most difficult part about the rematch is creating a team that can handle the Champion while still being able to beat the other Elites without any hassle, but a team that can do that shouldn't have too much trouble. Then again, I haven't beaten it since an older version where the Champion team was pretty lame, so..
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Saltsas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agastya View Post
The most difficult part about the rematch is creating a team that can handle the Champion while still being able to beat the other Elites without any hassle, but a team that can do that shouldn't have too much trouble. Then again, I haven't beaten it since an older version where the Champion team was pretty lame, so..
The rematch champion in this version is like unbeatable My team consists of Golurk, Alakazam, Lucario, Weavile, Giratina(cuz of the level.I don't like legendaries in my team) and a Larvesta which i'm training with exp share.I reached champion once and defeated like 3 of his pokemon but it's too difficult
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Domo Genesis
This is Beautiful, This is Art

Nature: Hasty
Just beat the Elite Four for the first time, and I can honestly say that this Hack is great.
But question...where can I find a Skorupi(if it's possible)?
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

Nature: Quiet
is it for Fire Red v1.0 or v1.1
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Quote:
There is a small, tiny minuscule bug I noticed. Well, not so much a bug but a graphic error. The sign showing that a Pokemon's move is a special one has a few pixel errors, not huge but I thought I'd just report it. n_n
I've been aware of it, but thanks for bringing it back up again.

Quote:
*** and *** aren't in the pokedex? And are they and *** obtainable?
The Elite 4 rematches use mons outside the dex- these are not obtainable by the player. Anything that shows up in the Pokedex can be found somewhere- if you look in your Key Items you should see something related to #151. With regards to the rematch being horrifically difficult- it's kinda meant to be. Experiment with your team- it's possible to beat it underleveled, even without EVs. Your team in particular has a glaring weakness to Ghost/Dark + Fighting coverage.

Quote:
But question...where can I find a Skorupi(if it's possible)?
The Skorupi line isn't in.

Quote:
is it for Fire Red v1.0 or v1.1

Physical/Special Split
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Saltsas

cool man thanks a lot I have a Volcarona and it's stats in comparison to Larvesta's are very different Larvesta's higher stat was attack and ev training special attack was very difficult.I haven't played any gen 5 games so I don't know if it's normal that way but felt like writing it :D
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Larvesta having more physical attack than Volcarona is normal.

Have an update y'all

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Fixed " eah! I got a bite here!"
Tweaked a couple encounter tables.
Fixed Crunch's description.
Made the route 23 grass avoidable.
Fixed a couple erroneous dex descriptions
Removed footprints.
Moved around a couple of the Nidoran and Yanma line's moves.
Fixed various PP amounts.
Gave Bide +1 priority.
Fixed the special icon.
Fixed transparency issues on Gyarados, Nidoqueen, Yanma, and Corsola sprites.

Physical/Special Split
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:22 AM
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

Nature: Calm
looks like someone is a touhou fan here.

and as usual (for many hacks this one included), enemymons with base stats higher than arceus. time for toxic and stall to win again.

and argh my fav 5th gen excadrill is not in here. and yet you have stuff like sentret/furret included. I know from ur sig its prob ur favorite mon but still =/

Last edited by manutdrule; October 18th, 2012 at 03:32 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links