Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old August 17th, 2013 (04:49 AM).
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Recently I have been playing Yu-Gi-Oh and what everyones been saying about what fairies look were correct. I have been troubled bout how this type would look compared to others since i have been thinking them to be small winged creatures and the like, but once I got to see how yugioh has shown them, some, if not most, appear to be magical beings(magi or human) with healing or holy powers. It made me more comfortable about the new type and slowly got me to accepting them.
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old August 17th, 2013 (07:17 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Seems like at least Reshiram doesn't need to worry about the Fairy type as it's not very effective against Fire.
Old August 17th, 2013 (07:29 AM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum Tier, CS

Nature: Quiet
I feel like I'm possible the only one in this thread to not expect Fairy to have a huge amount of both strengths and weaknesses. Knowing that their purpose is to be super-effective against dragons, they'll probably be strong to/weak against a few things, and that'd probably really be it

Old August 17th, 2013 (08:30 AM).

Well, since the Pokebeach leaker has never once been wrong yet, I think we need to start with those predictions. That means...

Fairy is weak to:
Poison
Steel

Fairy is immune to Dragon

Fairy attacks are not very effective on:
Fire
Psychic

Fairy attacks are super-effective on:
Dragon
Fighting
Dark
Old August 17th, 2013 (08:46 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
I feel like I'm possible the only one in this thread to not expect Fairy to have a huge amount of both strengths and weaknesses. Knowing that their purpose is to be super-effective against dragons, they'll probably be strong to/weak against a few things, and that'd probably really be it
I also expect it to be neutral to and against the majority of the types.
Old August 20th, 2013 (02:23 AM).
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Scrafty is one of my most favorite species, especially for its typing, I'm already sad that Fairy is probably super-effective to Dark. If it ends up super-effective to both Dark and Fighting... I... I... I just don't want to think about it... ;_;
Old August 20th, 2013 (03:37 AM).

Quote originally posted by ANinyMouse:
Fairy is immune to Dragon
I sure as hell hope not!

I'm comfortable with the idea of fairies being a new type, and with them being super effective on dragons. However, the fairy type being completely immune to dragon attacks make absolutely no sense. Dragons were designed to be highly powerful, with high offensive stats and being able to tear mere pokemon to shreds, however they're also a glass cannon, with nearly every one having 4x weaknesses to many common types and often able to be destroyed in one critical/super effective hit. Dragons are supposed to be hyper-offensive and not care about the repercussions of their actions. Steel made sense, as it's neither a biological entity or able to be destroyed easily, and often used to restrain and shackle dragons in mythology.

But fairies being outright immune to dragons... come on man. That just comes off as plain and simple uncreative, as a mere way to balance the typing without any creative flair. I was comfortable with the idea of fairies able to take down a dragon, but dragon type attacks still should've done neutral damage to fairy. There's a certain cosmic influence in many of the fairy type designs, almost as if they've escaped from elsewhere to take refuge and prosper on the pokemon planet (earth maybe?). Then there's attacks like Draco Meteor, which being space oriented, only make sense to be ridiculously powerful on the fairies who have to come to escape it.

Maybe i'll get over it, maybe I need a bit of an explanation, but I don't think i'm ready yet for dragons to get nerf'd as hard as they are...

Currently looking for:
-Competitive shiny and HA pokemon
-Assault Vest
-Ability Capsule
-Tyranitarite

FC: 1993-8587-9003
PM me first
Old August 20th, 2013 (04:41 AM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by TheSneakyTruth:
I sure as hell hope not!

I'm comfortable with the idea of fairies being a new type, and with them being super effective on dragons. However, the fairy type being completely immune to dragon attacks make absolutely no sense. Dragons were designed to be highly powerful, with high offensive stats and being able to tear mere pokemon to shreds, however they're also a glass cannon, with nearly every one having 4x weaknesses to many common types and often able to be destroyed in one critical/super effective hit. Dragons are supposed to be hyper-offensive and not care about the repercussions of their actions. Steel made sense, as it's neither a biological entity or able to be destroyed easily, and often used to restrain and shackle dragons in mythology.

But fairies being outright immune to dragons... come on man. That just comes off as plain and simple uncreative, as a mere way to balance the typing without any creative flair. I was comfortable with the idea of fairies able to take down a dragon, but dragon type attacks still should've done neutral damage to fairy. There's a certain cosmic influence in many of the fairy type designs, almost as if they've escaped from elsewhere to take refuge and prosper on the pokemon planet (earth maybe?). Then there's attacks like Draco Meteor, which being space oriented, only make sense to be ridiculously powerful on the fairies who have to come to escape it.

Maybe i'll get over it, maybe I need a bit of an explanation, but I don't think i'm ready yet for dragons to get nerf'd as hard as they are...
Dragons are NOT glass cannons and certainly don't have lots of weaknesses. Most are 4x weak to Ice but Pokémon like Dragonite, Garchomp, etc. are quite bulky and able to dish out a lot of damage still. Giving them one more weakness is fine, but, considering most of the new Fairies are quite weak, I expect the only way they become relevant is by being immune to Dragon since a Pokémon like Garchomp is not easily taken down even with super effective hits.

Also no reason why Fairy should be super effective against Dark. Guess they're trying to give Spiritomb a weakness. However this pisses me off since Pokémon like Tyranitar and Weavile already have way too many weaknesses.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old August 20th, 2013 (12:29 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
Dragons are NOT glass cannons and certainly don't have lots of weaknesses. Most are 4x weak to Ice but Pokémon like Dragonite, Garchomp, etc. are quite bulky and able to dish out a lot of damage still. Giving them one more weakness is fine, but, considering most of the new Fairies are quite weak, I expect the only way they become relevant is by being immune to Dragon since a Pokémon like Garchomp is not easily taken down even with super effective hits.

Also no reason why Fairy should be super effective against Dark. Guess they're trying to give Spiritomb a weakness. However this pisses me off since Pokémon like Tyranitar and Weavile already have way too many weaknesses.
May not effect Spiritomb if they do the same thing they did with bug and make Ghost resistant against Fairy Type. Keep in mind the only 5 types we know of that have been stated to be effected are

Strong against:
Dragon
Dark
Ice

Resisted by:
Fire

Weak to:
Poison

So far with official resources this is all we know. I agree with you that majority of the Fairies so far aren't that strong with exception to 2, Gardevoir and Xerneas. Azumarill and Mawile have Potential but only if they get Physical Fairy Attacks to go along with their Huge Power benefit. If not, then they may not even be much of a threat. Mawile already loses out to the Fire inclusion since Fairy is resisted by Fire types and Fire types are SE vs Steel Types. Marill would have to rely on its Water vs Fire types since its Fairy Attacks would be pretty useless.

Flying is either Neutral or Weak since Salamence was shown getting one shotted. So Flying has two potential areas and we already did the math for Hydreigon to find out Dark was weak to Fairy Types.

So far the only reason they were made was to balance Dragon types, but it seems as if they are unbalancing other types in the process. Ice and Dark are more brittle while Fire and Poison seem to be moving up. Good thing for those two as Poison isn't used all that much, not that they'll be used more, but Poison Attacks may see more use. Ice and Dark may fall to a decline with their new weaknesses.
Old August 20th, 2013 (12:32 PM).
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Altough I love the Fairy type and don't quite like Dragon pokes, except Kingdra, Flygon & Hydreigon, I don't want to see Fairy type totally immune to Dragon, being resistant to it would be more than enough!
I don't like how Fairy is rumoured to be super-effective to Dark, many Dark pokes have plenty of weaknesses.
Fire type is rumoured to be resistant to Fairy... Come on!!! Fire is one of my favorite types, but it is already quite powerful offensively, and is already resistant to 5 Types: Fire, Grass, Ice, Bug & Steel, not to mention its immunity to Burn status.
Old August 20th, 2013 (06:01 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum Tier, CS

People are bringing up Weavile as some sort of example as to why Fairy shouldn't be super-effective against dark, but I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that Weavile can just pack a slot w/Poison Jab (less effective since it would have no STAB, but it could be an option regardless for coverage reasons, especially if Fairies move into the UU tier, in which I can definitely see plenty of them there as well as OU), so I don't see the huge problem, especially if Fairies are the kind of types that arent going to have much bulk to them. Of course, this is mere conjecture (obviously), but I really don't see Fairies as the kind of Pokemon that could be bulky, but that's just me. I'd like to see a Fairy-type wall once that's released, if something like that comes into fruition.

I do agree however, that fairies are putting quite a bit of pressure on the aforementioned weavile as well as Tyranitar, which might make the latter fall slightly in usage (and make people use Hippowdon, instead, as their lead SS starter), but I don't think it would have such a detrimental effect on dark types? Forgive me, since I don't have an extreme knowledge of the OU metagame (I haven't played it in months), but dark-types, aside from Tyranitar and Hydreigon, are relatively uncommon in the first place. I feel that this would be more applicable in the Ubers metagame, where Fairy would have considerable pressure on Pokemon such as Darkrai and Arceus-Dark and force them to switch out (as well as be quite a good check to Zekrom as well as Giratina, Arceus-Dragon, Rayquaza and fellow Uber Dragons), whereas Pokemon such as Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Poison as well as Iron Head Excadrill (I suppose this would exist), and Jirachi, etc exist to drive out said Fairies.

I hope this post made sense, but yeah ^^; That's how I foresee things going.

Old August 20th, 2013 (08:26 PM).

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
People are bringing up Weavile as some sort of example as to why Fairy shouldn't be super-effective against dark, but I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that Weavile can just pack a slot w/Poison Jab (less effective since it would have no STAB, but it could be an option regardless for coverage reasons, especially if Fairies move into the UU tier, in which I can definitely see plenty of them there as well as OU), so I don't see the huge problem, especially if Fairies are the kind of types that arent going to have much bulk to them. Of course, this is mere conjecture (obviously), but I really don't see Fairies as the kind of Pokemon that could be bulky, but that's just me. I'd like to see a Fairy-type wall once that's released, if something like that comes into fruition.

I do agree however, that fairies are putting quite a bit of pressure on the aforementioned weavile as well as Tyranitar, which might make the latter fall slightly in usage (and make people use Hippowdon, instead, as their lead SS starter), but I don't think it would have such a detrimental effect on dark types? Forgive me, since I don't have an extreme knowledge of the OU metagame (I haven't played it in months), but dark-types, aside from Tyranitar and Hydreigon, are relatively uncommon in the first place. I feel that this would be more applicable in the Ubers metagame, where Fairy would have considerable pressure on Pokemon such as Darkrai and Arceus-Dark and force them to switch out (as well as be quite a good check to Zekrom as well as Giratina, Arceus-Dragon, Rayquaza and fellow Uber Dragons), whereas Pokemon such as Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Poison as well as Iron Head Excadrill (I suppose this would exist), and Jirachi, etc exist to drive out said Fairies.

I hope this post made sense, but yeah ; That's how I foresee things going.
Only part I disagree with is Fairies going that high. We may have Azumarill there, but I don't see any real tactics changing for it. It needs Huge Power to survive and with a majority of Fairy attacks being special based, based on appearance, Azumarill won't be carrying as many in favor for Ice attacks vs Dragons.

In terms of Bulky, we have Azumarill, Sylveon seems to be fairly bulky in health, and Mawile, though Sylveon and Mawile I'd be surprised to see high usage in even in UU. I expect both to star a lot in NU, but not much usage out of that. I can't see either being able to do much in Uber at all, not as kay defenses. They may be pinch hitters here and there for a quick attempted kill, but nothing major in terms of use.

Gardevoir...don't see her moving much. Maybe up to the next teir but she's still fairly frail physically She'd have better use of her Fairy attacks though.
Old August 20th, 2013 (09:09 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum Tier, CS

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Only part I disagree with is Fairies going that high. We may have Azumarill there, but I don't see any real tactics changing for it. It needs Huge Power to survive and with a majority of Fairy attacks being special based, based on appearance, Azumarill won't be carrying as many in favor for Ice attacks vs Dragons.

In terms of Bulky, we have Azumarill, Sylveon seems to be fairly bulky in health, and Mawile, though Sylveon and Mawile I'd be surprised to see high usage in even in UU. I expect both to star a lot in NU, but not much usage out of that. I can't see either being able to do much in Uber at all, not as kay defenses. They may be pinch hitters here and there for a quick attempted kill, but nothing major in terms of use.

Gardevoir...don't see her moving much. Maybe up to the next teir but she's still fairly frail physically She'd have better use of her Fairy attacks though.
I can say with a whole lot of confidence that Azumarill is a monster to play against. As someone that has a UU team with Azu (as well as faced a fair amount of teams with it), I have high expectations that, if there is a physical Fairy Priority, that Azu is most likely going to be OU at that point. Reason being is that Dragon-types run rampant in that tier. Kyu-B, Salamence, Latias/Latios, you name it. However, I do agree with you that a physical fairy move is pretty much a must for Azu to make it in OU I believe, and I'm hoping that it's priority physical if anything. It would make for an excellent check for aforementioned dragons, since it has the bulk to more or less take a lot of things thrown at it.

Also, currently, UU is pretty much rampant full of Fire/Fighting types. When you ladder UU, you're most likely going to either see a Darmanitan or a Heracross (or both) on a team, and the former might put some pressure on Mawile, if the rumors are true that Fire resists fairy-type attacks. Intimidate doesn't really help much when an HJK from Mienshao or a Flare Blitz from Scarf Darmanitan could potentially KO you regardless. I feel that Mawile's biggest downfall is it's speed, so unless it gains some new physical fairy priority like our friend Azumarill, I wouldn't be surprised to see it used much outside of making Trick Room teams more lethal.

Also eevee evolutions, aside from Umbreon and Espeon, have hardly become relevant (I hear even Vaporeon isn't that useful anymore like it once was in OU). I'm only saying this because Sylveon would have some big shoes to fill if it wants to become as useful as the former two. So far, the Cute Charm ability isn't really helping it's case, but we'll see, I suppose.

Also agreeing with Gardevoir. She'll remain NU because being pursuit bait is not fun at all in the slightest.

Old August 20th, 2013 (09:30 PM).
Silver Tier

If Gardevoir and Azumarill gain Megas, together with their new typing they're likely to rise in the tiers.

I really hope that Glow Punch is a Fairy move...
Old August 20th, 2013 (10:05 PM).

Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
If Gardevoir and Azumarill gain Megas, together with their new typing they're likely to rise in the tiers.

I really hope that Glow Punch is a Fairy move...
A mega won't exactly mean it'll get a boost needed to move up in tiers though. Mega Mawile now has the same crutch that Azumarill is currently under and even still she only gets a boost in Defense and Special Defense. We don't know if any of her stats lower because of this boost either. When there is a stat change with the Forms, majority of them are shifted to different formats. Rotom and Kyurem are the only two that just gain benefits from these, but both have special cases where as Rotom needs special outside items to absorb and Kyurem fuses and takes on power from Zekrom and Reshiram.

Mega Evolution is pretty close to Giratina's form change where a hold item is needed, this is based on the information we currently have. Giratina has a stat shift that takes from some to give to the others. This can still be true for the Mega Evolutions. Mawile can lose speed, attack, Special attack or even HP when it goes into its Mega Form to make up for the bonus in Defense and Special Defense. If it takes from Attack this can be to balance out Huge Power though it still makes the potential a lot lower. Same can be said for the other confirmed Megas. Their stat boost can come at the cost of a stat lowering as well.

So even with Mega Forms, there isn't much to rely on a successful tier jump for any of the re-speced Fairy Types.
Old August 20th, 2013 (10:09 PM).
Golden Shadow

Nature: Mild
I dislike the Fairy type, it's far too mainstream and it's super effective against my precious dragon types? ;c Oh my, Pokemon you have crossed the line. q_q
Old August 21st, 2013 (01:15 PM). Edited August 21st, 2013 by Superfox.

Quote originally posted by KinKage:
I dislike the Fairy type, it's far too mainstream and it's super effective against my precious dragon types? ;c Oh my, Pokemon you have crossed the line. q_q
Define mainstream, because, to be honest, I believe that the choice of Fairy to be the new type is kind of...off the beaten path. I would have expected Light or something else before I would have expected Fairy.

While I like the new Fairy type (although I'd probably be happy with any new type), I have to say I'm ready for them to introduce some Fairy types that aren't so...cutesy. (Mega) Mawile, Gardevoir, and Xerneas are the only Fairy Pokémon introduced so far that demonstrate that fairies don't have to be these tiny, cute, silly looking things. And only one of those is a new Pokémon.

I'm sure the evolved forms of Swirlix, Spritzee, and Flabébé will look a bit more serious, but I kind of want to see them now, just so I can make sure.

My Friend Safari type is Flying, with Fearow and Swanna.
Old August 21st, 2013 (01:26 PM).

Nature: Lax
I personally am not sure about the fairy type yet, I am a little mad they made marill and mawile into fairies but if the type is good to the most part I guess it's fine right?
Old August 21st, 2013 (01:37 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum Tier, CS

I guess my advice to people who are on the fence about fairy type: Don't knock it until you try it. Sure, so far (aside from Xerneas), it seems that a lot of people aren't really taken aback by the fairy types introduced so far, and were expecting something more...apt-looking to switch into a dragon attack, but I personally think we'll have cooler looking fairy-types as time comes, really. At least, I hope.

Old August 21st, 2013 (01:38 PM).
we're beautiful now ♪
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I'm looking forward to see (if any) which other past generation Pokémon that are getting the Fairy Type treatment, I'm mainly hoping for Finneon & Lumineon but I'm not sure whether it will happen just yet idk ;;
Old August 21st, 2013 (02:06 PM).
Golden Shadow

Nature: Mild
Well, I'm thinking that Pokemon is trying to serve more of the girl fanbase, (well maybe gay guys too (no offense)) So they can get an even bigger fanbase for more money, I'm not too fond of these pink pony pokemons if you know what I mean.
Old August 21st, 2013 (03:31 PM).
Moderator, BSCS

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Suicune™:
I'm looking forward to see (if any) which other past generation Pokémon that are getting the Fairy Type treatment, I'm mainly hoping for Finneon & Lumineon but I'm not sure whether it will happen just yet idk ;;

I could actually see those two gaining the fairy type, but it's kind of hard to explain why. Personally, I'd like to see my favorite Pokemon, Castform gain it. I could also see the Chimecho line possibly picking up this type as well, although this is mostly wishful thinking~!
Old August 21st, 2013 (03:32 PM).

Nature: Adamant
(well maybe gay guys too (no offense))\
Offense quite well taken. :T

I'm not looking forward to fairies so far. Dragon is my favorite type, and it seems that supposedly Fairy will have some weird and somewhat uncommon weaknesses, in that both of the above-listed types are primarily defensive. It might be nice to see them have a bit more of offensive power, but when fairies are taking out dragons with full immunity to them, a more readily available weakness may feel more balanced.

I guess it may be unnecessary, though, since it seems that Fairy so far is more of a secondary type. I just hope they don't have too many powerful mono-typed Fairy Pokemon.
Old August 21st, 2013 (04:28 PM). Edited August 21st, 2013 by Superfox.

Quote originally posted by Naikado:
Offense quite well taken. :T

I'm not looking forward to fairies so far. Dragon is my favorite type, and it seems that supposedly Fairy will have some weird and somewhat uncommon weaknesses, in that both of the above-listed types are primarily defensive. It might be nice to see them have a bit more of offensive power, but when fairies are taking out dragons with full immunity to them, a more readily available weakness may feel more balanced.

I guess it may be unnecessary, though, since it seems that Fairy so far is more of a secondary type. I just hope they don't have too many powerful mono-typed Fairy Pokemon.
Poison is the eighth most common type, and its really not that hard to get one early on in a game: a good amount of the Bug or Grass type Pokémon encountered early in the game are or evolve into secondary Poison types. Steel is also not that hard to get.

Well, I'm thinking that Pokemon is trying to serve more of the girl fanbase, (well maybe gay guys too (no offense)) So they can get an even bigger fanbase for more money, I'm not too fond of these pink pony pokemons if you know what I mean.
That's assuming that Fairy types will simply be these "pink ponies" as you put it. Does Xerneas look like it fits that description? Does Mawile/Mega Mawile? That also assumes that all girls/gay guys are into that stuff, but that's another matter entirely.

And, if you look into the lore, you can see that fairies can actually be pretty bad ass sometimes. They come in all shapes and sizes. Trolls, gnomes, goblins, leprachauns, imps, banshees, etc. are all types of fairies. And, fairies, according to some legends, are able to counter or defeat Dragons. So, it kind of makes sense to have them be strong against Dragon types.
Old September 11th, 2013 (04:34 AM). Edited September 21st, 2013 by Hikamaru.
I just want to go home.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
OK time for a well-deserved bump because the new type chart has been revealed!

Going by what this image shows, here's the Fairy-type matchups:

Super-effective on Dark, Dragon and Fighting
Not very effective on Fire, Poison and Steel
Weak to Poison and Steel
Resistant to Bug, Dark and Fighting
Immune to Dragon

So were you expecting these matchups? At least it confirms that Pangoro, as well as the Scraggy and Deino evolution lines have a 4x weakness to Fairy, while Sableye and Spiritomb finally have a true weakness. But still, wasn't expecting Fairy to be resistant to Bug though. Everything else I did see coming.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)