• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
I'm thinking the Jigglypuff and Clefairy lines, Dunsparce, the Azurill line, etc. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the previous purely Normal typed Pokemon will pick up Fairy as a secondary type.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Both Jigglypuff and Azurill lines have been confirmed. There should be a good amount to become fairy. Depends on what GF wants to do though.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Both Jigglypuff and Azurill lines have been confirmed. There should be a good amount to become fairy. Depends on what GF wants to do though.

Both the lines haven't been confirmed. Only one member from each is confirmed, by association we can go with the evolved form as well, but there is nothing that says that the babies are Fairy Type.

Years
Yeah, Volbeat and Illumise being Fairy would make sense not to mention that it will make those junk Bugs more useful.
Which moves you think may become of the Fairy type? Imo: Charm, Wish, Nature Power, Sing, Relic Song, ...

Swift!!! I was always confused with swift, like I thought it didn't fit normal type, and the closest type I could find to fit it was Psychic, but Swift being Fairy would be perfect!

Other moves hmm...probably Attract, Captivate, Perish Song(Wasn't there a story of mermaids singing to pirates luring them to their deaths? Mermaids are...kind of fairy-ish...), Refresh, Moonlight ( maybe Morning Sun too? ) Tickle, maybe Trump Card?

I really only see them changing a few moves into Fairy and introducing a bunch. I'd probably say Swift, Moonlight, Wish, Attract+Charm+Captivate and Sing will be reclassed and that's it..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Swift!!! I was always confused with swift, like I thought it didn't fit normal type, and the closest type I could find to fit it was Psychic, but Swift being Fairy would be perfect!

Other moves hmm...probably Attract, Captivate, Perish Song(Wasn't there a story of mermaids singing to pirates luring them to their deaths? Mermaids are...kind of fairy-ish...), Refresh, Moonlight ( maybe Morning Sun too? ) Tickle, maybe Trump Card?

I really only see them changing a few moves into Fairy and introducing a bunch. I'd probably say Swift, Moonlight, Wish, Attract+Charm+Captivate and Sing will be reclassed and that's it..
Actually in the original version it was the Sirens, bird like woman who lead naval man (pirates, sea merchants, etc.) to their doom. Their voices in some versions are said to have had the secrets of the universe. Would be nice if there was a Pokémon based on them, or a Harpy.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Sing, Attract, Charm, Captivate, Swift, Double Slap, Sweet Kiss, Sweet Scent, Helping Hand and Heal Bell.

Those are just 10 normal attacks that I saw. There is probably a lot more that could be used. Those are just some I could see. Maybe not Double Slap.

Also, another pokemon that could be part fairy would be Chimecho as a Psy/Fairy.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Moves that should definitely be Fairy type are; Charm, Captivate, Sweet Kiss, Lovely Kiss and Wish. Others don't seem to have that 'Fairy' quality to them... I mean moves like Sing could be fairy but they can't change every normal move to Fairy but I think that a fair few will be. I think a lot of Normal types will be changed and Pokemon that have Normal as a dual type simply because I think Normal was meant to be a 'placeholder' of sorts for a Fairy type.

I think Eevee could possibly get the type, Clefairy's line obviously will; as will Jigglypuff's. I think Miltank, Psyduck, Golduck, Poliwag, Poliwhirl and Politoed could possibly get it, too.

Vulpix and Ninetales, too, maybe?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Moves that should definitely be Fairy type are; Charm, Captivate, Sweet Kiss, Lovely Kiss and Wish. Others don't seem to have that 'Fairy' quality to them... I mean moves like Sing could be fairy but they can't change every normal move to Fairy but I think that a fair few will be. I think a lot of Normal types will be changed and Pokemon that have Normal as a dual type simply because I think Normal was meant to be a 'placeholder' of sorts for a Fairy type.

I think Eevee could possibly get the type, Clefairy's line obviously will; as will Jigglypuff's. I think Miltank, Psyduck, Golduck, Poliwag, Poliwhirl and Politoed could possibly get it, too.

Vulpix and Ninetales, too, maybe?

Normal was never a placeholder for anything and still exists. Eevee has a Fairy Type evolution and the main site still has it as Normal so it didn't change.

I'm not really seeing any old moves changing, most mentioned are fairly normal in pretty much every aspect of their being. Moonlight, sure I can see that changing, but why was Morning Sun never fire? I don't see one changing and not the other. None of the attacks really seem out of place as normal attacks. Sure they may need to retype some or else we'll get 15+ fairy attacks this gen to balance things out.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Normal was never a placeholder for anything and still exists. Eevee has a Fairy Type evolution and the main site still has it as Normal so it didn't change.

I meant that if Fairy type was around at the start then a lot of Normal type moves and Pokemon would be Fairy type. Placeholder may have been the wrong word to use but I can't think of the word rn. :( Hopefully you understand, lmao.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years

I'm not really seeing any old moves changing, most mentioned are fairly normal in pretty much every aspect of their being. Moonlight, sure I can see that changing, but why was Morning Sun never fire? I don't see one changing and not the other. None of the attacks really seem out of place as normal attacks. Sure they may need to retype some or else we'll get 15+ fairy attacks this gen to balance things out.
There's also a chance they may not add many. Dark and Steel didn't get much moves during their introduction, and gen III mostly introduced none attack moves such as memento and Iron Defense. Steel as of Generation V has around 15 moves...so I imagine Fairy would have less than that for it's first generation.

Years
Some ideas for fairy type moves:

- Magic Powder: 25% (each) to poison, burn, freeze or put the opponent to sleep. Accuracy = 60. PP = 10.
- Fairy Wind: 10% chance to raise all of the user's stats. Pwr = 75, Acc = 100, PP = 5, Type = Special.

Spoiler:

- Swift should be changed to Fairy Type.
- Star Kick: Fairy version of Double Kick. Pwr = 50, Acc = 80, PP = 10, Type = Physical (direct).

Spoiler:

- Star Punch: 10% chance to lower the foe's attack by one stage. Pwr = 90, Acc = 100, PP = 10, Type = Physical (direct).
- Star Drop: Fairy version of Draco Meteor. Pwr = 140, Acc = 90, PP = 5, Type = Special.
- Starburst: Fairy version of Fire Blast except it has a 10% chance to lower the foe's attack by one stage. Pwr = 120, Acc = 80, PP = 5, Type = Special.

... A lot of the inspiration came from Swift =P ...

- Rainbow Beam: 10% chance to confuse the foe. Pwr = 95, Acc = 100, PP = 10, Type = Special.

There's a lot they could do with Fairy moves to be honest.

Also, I think:

- They should be weak to Poison and Steel.
- They should do no damage to Normal types. (if "normal" people don't believe in ghosts, they shouldn't believe in fairies either.)
- They should be super effective against Dragon and Dark types.
- They should be resistant to Dragon moves or immune?
- They should be resisted by Steel and maybe also Poison types.

These are mainly for balancing purposes (they don't have to make sense. Bug on Psychic and Dark didn't :/)

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I don't really think any existing moves will be changed to the Fairy type. I don't know any moves that need to be changed, and I didn't think changing Bite to the Dark type was necessary...

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
Years
Fairy type is going to benefit the competitive battling community in a big way. Dragon types are a staple on every team nowadays, as their power and bulk are unmatched. Now, I see fairies becoming staples as well as the most reliable dragon counters, beating even Ice types that would take down their own dragon team-mates. I can see where people that think it will negatively effect the competitive scene are coming from, but I still think it won't be a bad thing at all.

I think it wasn't 'needed', per say, but I think a little spice was a smart decision. This generation is obviously a new chapter in the book of Pokemon with ditching the spriting art-style and now this new type release, and to me it's very positive. Changing things up will bring new spark to veteran Pokemon gamers and attract newer people to the franchise. The game would've been alright without it, but like I mentioned before, I think it will only benefit this gen.

Actually, I don't like the name fairy that much. The term is used in lots of other games and activities similar to it, such as Yu-gi-oh! and the connotation of fairy didn't work too well with Pokemon, imo. Light type would have been a better fit just because of the way pokemon types have been laid out. Had dark types been named demon type or something of that sort, fairy would be a much easier choice to understand. Anyway, the name doesn't matter at all in the long run, haha.

I love the strengths Fairies currently possess. Being able to hit dragons hard as well as ice types will make it an extremely popular competitive type choice and obviously be valuable in game as well. The rumored weaknesses are understandable and work for me. Poison is an underrated and mostly ignored type except for when it's paired with grass or another type, but now it becomes a counter to the dragon slayer, which means more people will consider poison types for their team. Steel is already a popular type for their natural bulk and enormous list of resistances, but I actually like that they'll be super-effective against Fairy, just because when it comes to using steel-type moves for super-effective damage... It's not that common.

A number of pokemon will be thrown into this typing, and some of them are blatanly obvious (i.e. Clefairy line), but the reveal of Marill being a fairy type hints that there will be some unexpected fairies in the game as well. It'll be interesting to see which pokemon they decide to convert.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Actually, I don't like the name fairy that much. The term is used in lots of other games and activities similar to it, such as Yu-gi-oh! and the connotation of fairy didn't work too well with Pokemon, imo. Light type would have been a better fit just because of the way pokemon types have been laid out. Had dark types been named demon type or something of that sort, fairy would be a much easier choice to understand. Anyway, the name doesn't matter at all in the long run, haha.

I wouldn't mind to have the Light Type instead of Fairy but like I've said before, the Electric Type is already classified as Light.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I meant that if Fairy type was around at the start then a lot of Normal type moves and Pokemon would be Fairy type. Placeholder may have been the wrong word to use but I can't think of the word rn. :( Hopefully you understand, lmao.

You mean that Normal was used for lack of a more appropriate typing?

I can see that, there's definitely two kinds of normal types. The cutesy/magical looking ones (Jigglypuff, Audino) and the average animal looking ones. (Zigzagoon, Ursaring)

Looking at it that way you could say they had the Fairy type in mind right from the start.

Last edited:
Years
Actually in the original version it was the Sirens, bird like woman who lead naval man (pirates, sea merchants, etc.) to their doom. Their voices in some versions are said to have had the secrets of the universe. Would be nice if there was a Pokémon based on them, or a Harpy.
Wait really? I remember the crew putting ear wax on their ears as they sailed so they wouldn't hear the mermaids...but I might be wrong haha. I really want a "pixie" Pokemon, but I'm unsure of how they'd do it without making it too human-like.
Also, another pokemon that could be part fairy would be Chimecho as a Psy/Fairy.
I feel like we're going to get heaps of Psychic/Fairy Pokemon..
I wouldn't mind to have the Light Type instead of Fairy but like I've said before, the Electric Type is already classified as Light.
Wait wasn't it Psychic? Because Light x Dark ?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I hope there will be enough moves for Fairy, also it seems most people want Fairie to have lot of weaknesses to make other types more powerful.

Off-Topic: That new theme hurt my eyes good thing I can change it.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I like the idea of a fairy type, but not that they're super effective against dragons. Can you imagine a tiny little Clefairy or Jigglypuff destroying a Hydreigon or Dragonite? It just doesn't seem right. I'd think that fairy types would be super effective against dark types or ghost types, but not dragon types.

Back