• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • My #1 hope for Fairy is that they release some guys that are not just wimpy and pink.

They could do a lot with the Fairy type, including some pretty sinister monsters.
    Wimpy? We don't even know the stats of these new fairy Pokémon...so we can't call them wimpy.
    Thus far the only Gen VI fairy to not be pink is Xerneas and he looks tough.

I'm hoping the cutesy fairies are strong just to see people's reactions...

Years
  • Wimpy? We don't even know the stats of these new fairy Pokémon...so we can't call them wimpy.
    Thus far the only Gen VI fairy to not be pink is Xerneas and he looks tough.

I'm hoping the cutesy fairies are strong just to see people's reactions...

Xerneas shows a real example that not all Fairy-types have to be cutesy and small and pink. There's actually a lot of interesting stuff this type is based around, and given the unusual fairy-like creatures in mythology I could definitely see some interesting type combinations made with Fairy as well.

The effect of the addition of the fairy type will depend on the stats of the members of the new types.
    I believe dragonite may remain a popular pokemon in the competitive metagame despite having another quadruple type disadvantage, as well as having a STAB type that is useless on fairy type pokemon. It has relatively high stats, a large movepool, and, if dreamworld abilities are not terminated, multiscale. It will probably have at least one attack that will be very/supereffective against fairies. Its stats, ability, and stat-boosting moves may enable it to survive at least one fairy attack and give it a chance to use a very/supereffective move on the fairy pokemon. It may also be able to out-speed a few fairy types. Having access to both substitute and roost will also be a huge asset.
    Suffice to say, I would expect to see more choice-scarfed dragonites in the metagame in order for them to gain the upper-hand on any fairy-typed foe they may face.

If the existing Hidden Abilities are removed with this game, I could definitely see some Pokemon that tend to rely on them, like Dragonite, either having to adopt new movesets and strategies or in worst case scenarios, drop down to a tier they were present in before the said hidden ability became available. Fairy-types could see Dragonite running Choice Band sets, and if Multiscale gets removed from availability it would definitely may have to run Substitute and/or Roost.

I am still hoping we get the full details of the type matchups for Fairy.

Years
  • At this point knowing what we know Gardevoir is the third strongest Fairy Pokémon if Xerneas is 680 like the other mascots (well the majority), and if Sylveon has 525 bst, in terms of bst total that is. Hopefully there'll be others.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    fairy types are pretty much assumed to be the best counter to dragons using outrage etc., being able to switch in while they're locked relatively unharmed. based off the information we have so far (virtually none) you'd have to assume the most useful fairy is one that has higher def and can threaten a dragon with fairy stab or something.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    If Fairy is resistant to Dragon, they would've better chances to survive Outrage and counter it...

well yeah, that's the main point of adding the new type. the most useful fairy, as i said, would be one that can safely switch into an outrage while taking minimal damage, and threatening the dragon enough for it to switch out. a defensive typing doesn't necessarily imply it can take an attack its type is strong against.

pridekitty

A Kitty
    Years
  • I think fairy types are good. I can just imagine Flabebe using Tickle or something on a Hydreigon and the Hydreigon faints. That would hilarious.

Years
  • I think we can pretty much confirm that Flabebe has more evolution stages, according to the trailer released a few hours ago its HP base stat is at 35...I know a lot of Pokemon do tend to have low base stats i.e. Dusknoir, but not fully evolved Pokemon.

Also, if (I'm 100% sure this will happen but some people may say otherwise) Sylveon were to continue the eeveelutions base stat distribution, this is what I think it'll turn out to be:

Sylveon Base Stats:
    Hp : 130
    Atk : 65
    Def : 65/60
    Sp Atk : 95
    Sp Def : 110
    Speed : 60/65
    Total : 525

I definitely think it's HP will be 130 as Fairy-like Pokemon tend to have high HP i.e. Azumarill, Jigglypuff, Blissey, Alomomola, Cresselia, Musharna. The rest I pretty much based on Blissey but I think it could be like this. ( I chose Sp. Def > Sp. Atk because it makes more sense and it would have the same stats as Vaporeon if it was like that).

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I think we can pretty much confirm that Flabebe has more evolution stages, according to the trailer released a few hours ago its HP base stat is at 35...I know a lot of Pokemon do tend to have low base stats i.e. Dusknoir, but not fully evolved Pokemon.
    Luvdisc has 43 base HP, and has no evolutions. Given how much they're advertising Flabebe as being the smallest pokemon--which Joltik did not receive despite claiming that title from Diglett when it was released--it's possible that they're intentionally going to leave it weak.

Years
  • Luvdisc has 43 base HP, and has no evolutions. Given how much they're advertising Flabebe as being the smallest pokemon--which Joltik did not receive despite claiming that title from Diglett when it was released--it's possible that they're intentionally going to leave it weak.

Despite this, I think they should make an evolution line for Flabebe. It looks like one of the more interesting Fairy-types out there although I may not even consider wanting to use it if it's given Luvdisc-like stats or any other terrible stat spread. I could easily see it being one of those "novelty Pokemon" mainly to showcase the fact that each one it has different flowers.

I guess the reason Joltik wasn't shown a lot after Black and White's release was due to being one of the several remaining Unova Pokemon they wanted to reveal after game release. Its evo Galvantula was one of those revealed before release though.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I see Flabebe as this generation's gimmick so I don't really expect any use from it.

Still hoping to see less Disneyfied Fairies and more Brother's Grimm Fairies.

Years
  • I found out that the "winged" fairies can be traced be traced back to the 1800's as I saw a picture of a painting of one dating from that era. So maybe Pokemon will have one eventually.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Is anyone else NOT hyped for the Fairy-type at all?

Out of all the revealed Fairy Pokémon, the only one I found interesting is Xerneas, and that's a legendary. The rest are all tiny, cute, pinky, girly creatures that in my head wouldn't be able to kill Dragons at all. Probably only Sylveon (who will have high BST since it's an Eeveelution) and Gardevoir (who we know is a strong Pokémon) seem capable of bringing a Dragon to its knees. The rest... They all look weak and, frankly, feeble things I could blow away with a slap. I never really had a type I liked the least, as all types had some pretty interesting Pokémon, but Fairy is probably going to become just that for me. These Pokémon simply aren't my style. I never liked stuff like Clefairy and Chansey, so these new Fairy Pokémon are quite unappealing to me, even though the idea of a type that beats Dragon is quite interesting.

If the likes of Swirlix start beating up stuff like Dratini I'm afraid to say Pokémon has jumped the shark. Hopefully they evolve into something cool, although these kinds of Pokémon rarely become cool when they evolve.

That's assuming the power creep continues. It's pretty much a given seeing as it happens with each and every generation, but there are those that firmly believe that this generation might be promising in terms of more defensive Pokemon, rather than offensive. That said, I'm kind of siding with those people, also. I'm hoping Fairy is more of a defensive type than an offensive-type so it can resist dragons better. Heck, I don't mind if Fairy was made to tank ****, it makes it all the better, really.

I'm pretty sure Blissey will be retconned as Fairy-type. That being said, any physical-based Dragon would murder Blissey regardless of which type it was...

To effectively stop Dragons, a Fairy Pokémon would need very high Defense and/or HP. So far, none of the Pokémon shown seem to fit those criteria. They all look quite frail and weak to me. Even if it evolves, I can't picture Spritzee killing Garchomp or something like that.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I honestly don't think it's 'right' to judge the new type to that extent yet. We've only seen about a handful of new Fairy-type Pokemon, and even though I agree that they all look rather weak and frail, that doesn't mean they can't evolve into something a bit more menacing or impressive. I'm sure there are other designs that will look a bit more impressive with greater stats.

Regardless though, I don't think their designs should really factor into whether or not they're able to beat down on a Dragon. It's all about their stats and capabilities, at least in the games that is. I personally just think that there's too much unknown about this new type to think that they aren't very impressive. Once we get a better look at what they can do, then I'll judge their effectiveness. Right now, I'm just excited to see a new type and have it mix up the meta-game a bit.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm really enthusiastic about a new type, it has been over ten years since the last introduction of new types. I'll definitely be using a Fairy type during my first play through on X which will solidify my opinion on the Fairy type, but for now I'm pretty psyched!

Years
  • This was just a weird experience when I first heard about it. I was in one of those groups of people who didn't want a new type. It's just one of those things you don't want to happen for no particular reason, and when it happens you just let it go.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
    Years
  • I wanted new types. However I wanted them to be light and sound. Light because of dark type, and Sound because of all the Sound based moves. Fairy is okay. I'm still very glad that I picked Y though.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Still hoping to see less Disneyfied Fairies and more Brother's Grimm Fairies.
    I've heard a lot of people saying how the new "fae" type had a lot of potential of the type of mythical creatures it could represent. The reason why I never had my hopes set high to expect anything besides "Disneyfied" fairies is because Gamefreak has already shown what they consider fairies to be. Yes, the egg group won't be the same as the new type, but the fact that the girly and feminine Gardevoir was shown as an example of this didn't make me expect anything else.

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • Potential Fairy Types

So this is too big to be a thread post and it sparks a discussion of its own. To me, Fairy types are Pokémon that are helpful, mythical creatures (minotaur, kraken, god, etc), and actually resemble Fairies/pixies/goblins. So what Pokémon do I reckon could get Fairy type? I have two categories for this. Ones that have their type replaced and ones that gain the type.
    So yeah, here's my list of evolutionary lines that I think will become Fairy.

Re-typed
    -Clefairy
    -Jigglypuff
    -Chansey
    -Togepi
    -Dunsparce
    -Snubbull
    -Azurill (Marill will become Water/Fairy)
    -Buneary
    -Audino

Gain Fairy type
    -Vulpix
    -Tauros (I want it to evolve into a Fairy/Ground minotaur)
    -Snorlax
    -Mareep
    -Bellossom
    -Sudowoodo
    -Sunkern
    -Misdreavus
    -Wobbuffet
    -Miltank
    -Skitty
    -Volbeat
    -Illumise
    -Milotic