Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio
Reload this Page FireRed hack: Mirage Of Tales: A-New-Age-DEAD.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2013 (03:25 PM). Edited October 20th, 2014 by avaramoon.
Author Of Tales

Nature: Brave
This hack has been cancelled. It won't be getting updated anymore, so please, please do not report any more bugs, as they won't be fixed.

What the game used to be:

BEGINNING STORY:

Set in the region of Avlar, the player's story is a sad one. You are an orphaned young boy or girl and have had to pretty much bring yourself up over the years. Your rival is a bully who has picked on you for being poor all the way through Pokémon School. Finally, it's the day of your final exam, which will allow you to travel on adventures and finally become financially stable. Your teacher Avara (yep, me) sees the potential in you and you have always been top of the class, so she gives you a job with her straight after you pass your Exam. There's been a brand new Pokémon discovery and she wants you to look after this special new Pokémon and help her unfold its mystery! But as always, there will be obstacles in your path.

So off you'll go, into your new life with your new Career, which you get to choose for yourself! You're free to do exactly as you please and make a name and reputation for yourself. It's finally your time.

CAREERS:

The main feature of my hack is that you can choose your own career once you graduate from school. Each career will give you a different storyline and different sidequests - which all lead to the same fundamental events. You can take up as many Careers and Side-Careers as you want; the only ones you cannot do at the same time as one another are the Seeker and Crime careers. So, depending on the Career you choose, you'll experience the game's story completely differently!

The following four are the "main" Careers, which will have the largest direct impact on storyline;

The Trainer Career
The simplest way to play the game, without taking any extra Careers, you will be a Pokémon Trainer by default. You'll have no boss to answer to and no HQ to report back to - a lone Trainer trying to make a name for themselves. If you'd like to play the game the way you'd play a normal Pokémon game, this is the Career you want!

The Research Career
Join Avlar's Research team and become a Pokémon Researcher! You'll be doing various missions like field work, collecting Pokémon and evolving them for rewards and progression. Do you have what it takes to work your way up to become a Pokémon Professor?

The Seeker Career
Is finding rare Pokémon your favourite thing? If so, the Seeker Career is for you. You'll join Avlar's famed Society For Seekers (referred to as the SFS for short), and you'll become a member of a powerful team of famous trainers! The main goals of the Seekers are to find as many rare and legendary Pokémon as they can to further their prestigious reputation and to uphold honour and peace in the region. Your boss will be Aries, and you'll be reporting to the secret SFS Base for all your work.

The Crime Career
Have you always wanted to play on the side of the bad guys? Now you can! A strange new criminal gang have recently arrived in Avlar and gathered many members. The Gang Leader is Loxar, a ruthless fighter but kind to his staff, along with his daughter Jenelle, who is equally merciless but has a much darker motive... As a member of Loxar's Gang, you'll have all kinds of fun mugging people, stealing Pokémon and causing trouble for the Police.

In the second half of the game, there will be a further two Side-Careers introduced that you can take, no matter what your main Career is. These won't interfere with your main Career(s) or Alignment - these are purely for fun! These side-careers are as follows

The Breeder Career
Introduced later in the game, the Breeder Career is very easy to get into. As an official member of the Pokemon Breeding Organisation, you'll have open access to the 'Day Care System', enabling you to breed your Pokemon for eggs. You can progress in the career by breeding certain kinds of Baby Pokemon until you become an Expert Breeder!

The Gym Leader Career
Aspiring Gym Leaders can take up the 'Gym Leader Challenge' at any time as an optional side-quest. The Gym Leader Challenge in Avlar is ruled by the prestigious PokeMinistry, the same government behind the Avlar Championship Tournament. Any player who gains all eight References from the defending Gym Leaders is eligible to apply to become a Gym Leader themselves!
The Gym Leader's job is basic to begin with - you will first take over Clifftop Town Gym, the first in the official order, and progress until you become the eighth and most powerful Gym Leader in the region!

FEATURES:

Four separate storylines.

Explore the new region of Avlar!

Custom Trainer Sprites!

Licenses replace Badges.

My 'Reputation' System depends on References available to gain from main characters.

SOME de-capitalization where I see fit.

Your own Personality Alignment!

NO "evil team" stuff... It's been done to death and for me my least favourite game aspect. Some people are good, some people are evil! You can choose who you associate with.

The Physical/Special Split, thanks to DoesntKnowHowToPlay.

Item prices have been raised and trainers give you less money.

As well as money and all that stuff, you can earn Fame by gaining References from high-status trainers who've battled you and doing other things...

A barrage of new characters, including several challenging rivals!

New Gym Leaders, however the Gym Leader Challenge is now optional. Leaders will give you their References if you win and battling them or not wont affect the storyline.

Badges have been replaced by Licenses which allow you to do different things in the game.

"Licences" for HM moves SURF, CUT and FLY are obtainable through buildings called Registry Offices scattered aroud the region.

Pokemon that were previously only able to evolve through trading or through day/night now evolve in different ways.

PLENTY of small sidequests to keep you busy.

As well as Pokemon Centres and Marts, most towns now also have Community Centres!

Pokemon-dependant events!

Gender-dependant events! (these events differ VERY slightly)

Item-dependant events!

4th, 5th and 6th Generation Pokémon!
And finally, ASM!

BACKGROUND:

My game was inspired by a book I read once where the storyline would change depending on which page you turned! So, I guess I could say that there is no real storyline - but several separate ones which all lead to the same big fundamental events. Also inspired by how the original games seemed to have NO regulation whatsoever, I've tried to make it more relatable to the real world, with Licenses, References, police control (including some corrupt authorities!) and crime.

Im also heavily influenced by class-based RPGs and I want to be the first person to incorporate this feature into a Pokémon hack to the best of my ability!

If you want to concentrate on only one aspect or one end goal (such as the Gym Leaders and Tournament) and leave the other things, you can! But obviously to get the most out of the game I would say take every opportunity you'll get in Avlar, you never know where you might end up!

There will be lots of optional events and choices which will alter your storyline slightly as the game goes on. I want to try and make it a long game to complete with quite a raised difficulty level compared to the original games.

Trust me when I say, you could play this game all the way through, then re-start with different choices and you'll have a COMPLETELY different experience! =D

PERSONALITY ALIGNMENT

This is yet another factor which will affect your game experience. There are three Personality Alignments which are determined based on your choices; Good, Bad and Neutral.
In-game, your Alignment is a hidden value determined by your actions to create your character's "Personality", or how other NPC characters will view your character.

At the beginning of each game, your Alignment Value (let's call it "AV" for now) will be 0.

Going with a "Good" action during a quest will add +1 point to your AV, and doing a "Bad" action will subtract -1 point to your AV.
Alignment and Career are NOT the same thing, in fact they are completely unrelated apart from a possible one-off AV point when you first join your selected Career, to make up for how NPCs will see the organisation your character is part of. The only Careers affected by this are the Seeker and Gang Member - with when joining the Seekers you will receive +1 AV Point and if you go down the Gang Member route you will lose -1 AV Point. The Researcher and ordinary Trainer Careers will not give any AV Points, nor do the Side-Careers of Breeder and Gym Leader.

There are a mix of typically 'Good' and 'Bad' assignments you can do for each career no matter what it is that will further influence your personal Alignment.

The game's characters are not just split into goodies and baddies. It's up to you to make your own decisions to see what your Alignment will turn out to be. The combinations of Careers and Alignments are extremely varied, and there is at LEAST one unique side-quest for each Career/Alignment pairing!
For every possible character combination you could have, click the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Possible Combos:

Trainer/Neutral
Trainer/Good
Trainer/Bad
Trainer/Seeker/Neutral
Trainer/Seeker/Good
Trainer/Seeker/Bad
Trainer/Crime/Neutral
Trainer/Crime/Good

Trainer/Crime/Bad

Trainer/Researcher/Neutral
Trainer/Researcher/Good
Trainer/Researcher/Bad
Trainer/Seeker/Researcher/Neutral
Trainer/Seeker/Researcher/Good
Trainer/Seeker/Researcher/Bad
Trainer/Crime/Researcher/Neutral
Trainer/Crime/Researcher/Good
Trainer/Crime/Researcher/Bad

The Personality Alignments are Affected by Careers as follows:

Trainer (default) Career - Neutral Alignment (no points)

Seeker Career - +1 point towards Good Alignment

Crime Career - +1 point towards Bad Alignment

Researcher Career - Neutral Alignment (no points)

As you can see, the default career of Trainer is Neutral. If you choose not to join either the SFS or Gang, you'll be a Neutralist. For the SFS/Crime careers, you'll be given at least one mission or task which will enhance that career's Alignment, (A bad mission for the gang and a good mission for Seekers), but after that it will be completely mixed and you'll have to choose what to do.

Will you be a Criminal with a good heart, a tyrannical Seeker, a level-headed Researcher? The possibilities are endless.

OK I will stop rambling and get on with the screenies, since that's what everyone really wants to see!

SCREENSHOTS:

FAQ/TIPS:

I wanted to include this section just in case people might miss these things/not notice them in-game. Don't read if you don't want to know! =)

Spoiler:
Choice-dependant events
Spoiler:

These are points in the game where you have to make a choice; depending on what you decide, the events that follow will differ dramatically. These are only examples and not a full list.

1. After getting the Pokedex at Sogen Gardens and battling with your best friend Kiana, you can be a rebel and break the law or you can refuse to be led astray and carry on as normal. Saying either Yes or No to Kiana at this point will give you completely different turns, just do what you would actually do in that situation xD Whichever option you choose will result in you getting an egg. There are 5 different possibilities of an egg you will get depending on your previous choices. This choice also affects your Personality Alignment.

2. After gaining your Professional Trainer's License, you'll be told to meet Avara and Atenza at the Lethean City Hotel, but Tristan will tell you he's off to Iron Hollow to check something mysterious out. It's up to you where you go first!
The idea is kind of like following real time; e.g. doing Event B before Event A will make Event C happen. Doing Event A before Event B will give you a different version of Event C. Get it?

3. Towards the part of the game where you have to go to Grey Lord's Manor, you'll be told info and rumours about LORD GREY's character by NPCs - some of which is good things, some bad. You have the option to think about this info and decide for yourself whether he deserves to be punished or spared. The truth about him will come out in the end, and depending on whether you forced LORD GREY to battle or not will have an effect on your Personality Alignment.

FAQ:

Where is the SFS Base?
The secret Seeker base is located on the Eastern side of Bora Bridge, North of Havabora Beach, concealed from a narrow hidden path in the trees.

How do I start the Research career?
Visit Herman in the Pokémon Lab with 6 Pokémon. Then do all the missions for the random aides you see everywhere, it's fun!

Do I have to take the Crime, Researcher or Seeker career? Can't I just keep being a Trainer?
Of course you don't, if you don't want to! Just decline all offers when parties ask you to join.

How do I start the Crime career?
Both parties will ask you to join at the same time. Choose this over joining the SFS.

How do I start the Seeker career?

Both parties will ask you to join at the same time. Choose this over joining Loxar's gang.

Why is the first Gym Leader so hard?
The Gym Leaders in this game are OPTIONAL. Just think of it as a Pokémon training, fame building, not-really-necessary sidequest. Unless you want to be a Leader, then just come back to it later =)

What Pokémon do I need to get the SURF/CUT/FLY Licenses?

For Surf; Gyarados, Whiscash, Quagsire or Feraligatr

For Fly; Unfezant, Fearow, Noctowl, Skarmory.

For Cut; Nidorino, Nidorina, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Raticate, Scyther, Sandslash.

During the Science Centre story arc, the genetically modified Absol ran off and I can't find it. Where is it?
Hint: In a route not too far away from where it was being kept...

POKEMON TYPING CHANGES:

I have edited the types of some Pokémon to help them fit in better with the story/locations (in my opinion), and edited the stats/moves of a few weaker ones to make them more useful. Details of type changes can be found here. I like the new typings, but if anyone really hates them leave a comment explaining why and I might change them if there's a lot of dislike for a certain Pokémon's new type/s.

Spoiler:
Hoothoot & Noctowl - Dark/Flying

Ariados - Poison/Dark

Piplup & Prinplup - Ice

Empoleon - Ice/Steel

Sudowoodo - Rock/Grass

CREDITS:

Everything in this hack - scripting, mapping, fakemon, trainer sprites, storyline and events, was all done by myself apart from the following:

• chrunch for taking the time to help me with my sprite inserting problem even though he's tied up with Pokémon Cyan. He is the entire reason 4th/5th/6th gen Pokémon are in the game.
  • The tiles I used were created by Fangking Omega, Mateo, Zein, WesleyFG, Pyro and others whose names I am still looking for!
  • joexv for inserting tiles and helping me learn how to do it.
  • Nex for bug fixing OWs and maps.
  • TheGameBringer42 for thinking up a way better name for the game than I could have!
  • dhogan, and MrRetroRenaissance who will both be doing a Let's Play! on their YouTube Channels!
  • CHARIZ_1995 - Go-to guy. Credited deservingly for helping me identify problems, with ideas and generally just being there to listen to me ramble on and bounce ideas around. He's responsible for the way you can obtain Leftovers in-game (it was his idea)
  • Ksiazek Bartlomiej for Kalos Sprites
  • DoesntKnowHowToPlay for Physical/Special split
  • Jambo51's tutorial which helped me understand how to make evolving without the National Dex work.
  • Karatekid552 for helping me to understand how ASM and inserting routines works.
  • HackMew, for his Taking Pokémon Away ASM routine.
  • Every single person who has commented, downloaded the (hilariously awful)Pre-Alpha, beta tested and criticised and helped me identify things I need to fix.
The creators of the tools I used; A-Map, XSE, TM Editor Pro, Pokedex Order Editor, IconEd, A-Text, OW Editor and probably more I've forgotten... Some of the tiles in this game were also created by me, including the inside-corners for the grassy mountains and basic mountains, the mountain surface tile and Porygon statues (which I'm really proud of!) and the grass-topped cave opening. The rest of the tiles used were taken from Whack-A-Hack's public tilesets (mountain/rock edges, grassy rock edges and trees). I will try and find the names of the creators of all the public tiles I used and post here in due time!

___________________________________________________________________________________

(NOTE: Please read the following sections properly! Any comments with questions or bug reports regarding anything that has already been mentioned in the following sections will not be answered. Not to be unhelpful, but for my own sanity. Thanks! =P Also, when reporting bugs/glitches, please be polite in doing so. I am still new to hacking and am still learning. )

KNOWN BUGS:
  • The Pokedex is glitchy and unorganized at the moment due to my messing with the wrong Pokedex Order Editor way back when I started. This will be fixed slowly but surely.
  • No 4th/5th/6th gen Pokémon cries have been inserted yet.
  • Gym Leader Anja will battle you twice, but if you lose to her a second time you will still have her Reference.
  • Some menu icon sprites may appear glitchy as they are still being edited.
  • The Running Shoes fail to work in some areas, particularly at the beginning of the game for a reason unknown to me. I try to make up for this by giving you a bike at the beginning!
  • Scripts involving the checking of coins and money may malfunction at times, removing the wrong amount from you or not at all in occasional cases.
  • If you play the game in super-speed it can cause some of the more complicated scripts to malfunction, so please try not to super-speed during important events.
  • There is always a chance I may have forgotten to remove an old script or trainer, please let me know with a comment if you see any!
BANNERS:

Show your support for MOT:ANAD with these awesome banners created by Xanathos! Thanks again! =D

____________________________________________________________________________________

IPS Download Link:

has been removed.

- AvaraMoon
Old September 21st, 2013 (11:41 PM).
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
whoa, the ideas for this game sound so fantastic, I'm literally sitting here with my jaw open just thinking about it. I have a feeling that this game isn't going to come out for a while (due to the many routes one can take while playing), but it will be a good one. I wish you good luck on completing this game.
Old September 21st, 2013 (11:47 PM).
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
The idea is really interesting.
As I can see in the screenshots. The game looks good so far.
I like the way you map, but It's like a little less-life, sort of.
Oh well, another FireRed hack. People hack FireRed for easy
reasons, still I love 3rd gen better. Anyways, keep that up.
I'll be looking forward for the complete progress of the game.
Old September 22nd, 2013 (06:00 AM).
Author Of Tales

Thank you so much, i really appreciate the feedback.

How could I improve the maps?

Does anyone know if the name Fire Agate is taken by another hack? I've searched but can't find one.
Old September 22nd, 2013 (07:18 AM).
Silver Tier

Do you need a beta tester? This game sounds awesome

FC:1521-4183-4396
In game name:Kylee(Y) Kyle(OR)
Old September 22nd, 2013 (12:58 PM).

Yeah this is one of the best ideas I've seen for a hack. Really can't wait to see an alpha or a beta. this is like some next level pokemon stuff, keep it up :D

Plus I'd be happy to be a beta tester as well
Old September 22nd, 2013 (01:49 PM).
Priestess

Quote originally posted by avaramoon:
Thank you so much, i really appreciate the feedback.

How could I improve the maps?

Does anyone know if the name Fire Agate is taken by another hack? I've searched but can't find one.
No one has taken that name yet.
Old September 22nd, 2013 (10:37 PM).
Lurker Extraordinaire

The idea is a promising one. It will be interesting to see whether or not your vision bears satisfactory fruit (for you as well as us).

Good luck with this project.
Old September 23rd, 2013 (11:02 PM).

wow this hack is really look amazing :O
the story up to the player :o
this really new , hope you didn't stop in halfway cause i think it need much work to do

for the title maybe Pokemon : My Dream
since is up to player what career it want to be
wish you luck to finish this hack
Old September 24th, 2013 (12:05 AM).

Can't wait to see this rom in action

Cheers.
Old September 24th, 2013 (12:11 AM).

Nature: Quiet
Wow, the story sounds great. I am happy to be a beta tester if you need any.
Old September 24th, 2013 (06:23 PM).
Master Of the Arcana
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
This sounds like this is gonna be quite awesome with the different decisions that one can make. For a name what about Pokemon:Mirage Of Tales or Pokemon: Book Of Dreams or something another. Heh anyways, im looking forward to the game hope you finish this project. If you need a beta tester I would gladly lend assistance so anyways good luck.

"Life is just the same old thing done over and over again. Those who excel in life are just ordinary people who do ordinary things better than everyone else."

Old September 25th, 2013 (07:36 AM).
Author Of Tales

Ooh, I like mirage of tales. Thank you! It's going well so far, but at the moment I only have events that can go one or two ways, and I'm trying to make them go more ways in newer scripts if that makes sense haha
Old September 26th, 2013 (10:02 PM).
Rawr

Nature: Naive
I have a feeling that this is gonna be a really awesome hack Good Luck on making this hack! :D

Old September 27th, 2013 (10:23 PM).
Kik: spazzyda59

I like the mapping it's simple yet elegant and the storyline seems good ! best of luck
Old October 17th, 2013 (06:20 PM).
Master Of the Arcana
Silver Tier

Hmm is progress still going on for this hack as it has a lot of potential. I hope it doesn't end up being scrapped or something it would be waste. If not I can't wait until you have something to show for your effort.

"Life is just the same old thing done over and over again. Those who excel in life are just ordinary people who do ordinary things better than everyone else."

Old October 18th, 2013 (08:21 AM).

According to me story is very good
Old October 18th, 2013 (12:41 PM).
Dragon Master

Nature: Calm
Seems different but i it like cant wait to check it out and al so good job on your first hack
Old October 19th, 2013 (06:56 AM).
Author Of Tales

Working on it as we speak! =) I am planning to release an alpha soon. Not a short alpha though, I only want to have like 1 alpha release 1 beta release then the final release rather than having 37636 betas.

Alpha will go up to the 5th Gym (if you want to do the gyms) or if youre not interested in doing the gyms the alpha will stop after an area called Verlume Villas.

Hope to have a release nxt week once its perfect and I add a few more trainers in =)
Old October 19th, 2013 (09:40 PM).
Great Pokémon Reject

I wonder if I can create multiple saves for all of the different routes :p

DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA. (more banners soon to come... maybe) (hoping that Lilac comes back) DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA.
You joined for ROM Hacking, didn't you, PokeReject?
Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon. Why yes, yes I did. Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon.

Old October 22nd, 2013 (04:43 AM).

I love this hack idea, will definitely play once the alpha is out.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 22nd, 2013 (05:16 AM).
Wataru's Dragon Protege

Nature: Sassy
This sounds awesome I hope I can be a tester for the rom and play it when you get it launched!

Pokemon X FC: 3668-9199-6474
Old October 22nd, 2013 (07:44 PM).
Elite Saiyan

I will keep an eye on this one. Great concept. I hope it will turn out well. I hope you won't drop a great hack as the others did.

Vegetto: "Kakarrot and Vegeta have been combined, so I guess that makes me Vegetto."

Old October 23rd, 2013 (07:39 AM).
Author Of Tales

You can create multiple saves, but the storylines all do lead to the same events in the end. You're able to do all the careers to a certain extent, so just because you do one of them doesn't mean you wont be able to do others, if that makes sense.
Old October 23rd, 2013 (02:32 PM).
Great Pokémon Reject

Quote originally posted by avaramoon:
You can create multiple saves, but the storylines all do lead to the same events in the end. You're able to do all the careers to a certain extent, so just because you do one of them doesn't mean you wont be able to do others, if that makes sense.
so, one has the potential to do all 3 jobs? that is so epic
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links