The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
itari
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Tilemap Creator

Hello, everyone! Today I present to you a brand new utility, the Tilemap Creator!

What does it do? Simple, really. Tilemap Creator is as the name suggests--a tilemap creator. Well, really, and editor, too. It can take any tileset, and turn it into a tilemap. If you want, it can even remove duplicated tiles!

Features
- Tilemap Creation
- Tilemap Saving/Loading (GBA 4BPP or 8BPP format)
- Sphere Map Loading
- Tileset "Importing" - turn an image into a tileset and tilemap!
- Tileset Indexing - 16 or 256 colors
- Tileset Palette Exporting
- Tileset Saving - if indexed, saves in a format usable by NSE 2.X (only 16 color)!
- "Area Draw" - just right click and draw to fill an area

Images
Spoiler:
The Updated Interface

"Area Draw" in action!

Download
Version 1.0
Version 1.1
Version 2.0
Version 2.5
Version 3.0 (New Layout)
Version 3.4: Here
*Please note that to work correctly, .NET Framework 4.5 is required.

Source
That's right! Tilemap Creator is now open-source!
Check out the repository on GitHub here!

Yeah, I know my code's messy.

For those who were wondering, this tool was written in C#!

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher

Last edited by itari; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:52 PM. Reason: :|
Old October 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

So, you're saying this'll pretty much rip the mess out of tiles with ease? Does it do insertion as well, or?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old October 12th, 2013, 09:53 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post
So, you're saying this'll pretty much rip the mess out of tiles with ease? Does it do insertion as well, or?
I think it just takes an image splits it into 8x8 pixel squares and removes duplicate squares, so you're left with a tileset.

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:37 AM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
I think it just takes an image splits it into 8x8 pixel squares and removes duplicate squares, so you're left with a tileset.
You can do the same thing with sphere if you follow this tutorial. It would be nice if it had some unique features as well.
Old October 13th, 2013, 05:21 AM
itari
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post
Yep, this just rips up an image into tiles. I made this program because Sphere stopped working on my computer, and I wanted this function.

Right now, that's the only thing it can do, but I think it would be nice if I added some stuff like insertion in the future, so we'll see. Who knows what the future holds?

On another note, I updated the program. Basically, it just speeds up some of the drawing stuff. Enjoy!

Wait!

Okay, I'm stupid. Just so the few people who actually download this know, I messed up a single line in the code that cuts off some of the tiles. So I've removed the download.

Anyway, since I just can't leave this thing as simply a tileset creator, I've decided to go the whole way and change it to a full-blown tilemap editor.

Basically, it now not only rips apart images, it also reconstructs the tilemap from the image!

Here's what it looks like.
Spoiler:

So... I'll just put the download up when I finish it for those that are interested.

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher

Last edited by itari; October 13th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:24 PM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

A nice function would be to specify the borders around the tilemap, because sphere can't do that and just inserts it in the corner.. Also, I haven't yet tested it, but it does support flipped tiles, right? Just to be sure.
Also, I would like it if I could assign a palette to a tile in the tileset, and it gets fully done in the palettemap, not one by one.

Anyways, imo this tool has a great future!

Edit: Just found out sphere doesn't support flipping tiles. If this does, then it'll be a reason for lots of people to use this!
(if you don't understand it: this image, 16 by 16 pixels, gets splitted into four 8 by 8 tiles, while it could be just one tile, flipped horizontally, vertically, and both. I really need this myself, because when I try to edit a 256 colour image in ntme-8BPP mode, it says my sphere tileset has too many tiles.)

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.

Last edited by daniilS; October 14th, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Barry
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Calm
Is this for use with rom hacking? If so, then this is amazing.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Nature: Jolly
Oh noes! Not the .NET 4.5!
(Mono sucks on Linux)

Will we be seeing the source any time soon? I really think that tools need to start open-sourcing more because as soon as the content creator leaves town we're pretty much screwed for updates/ports/bugs/ASM *cough*A-Map*cough*. Plus it allows for people to improve on the code and learn.

Old October 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM
itari
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
Oh noes! Not the .NET 4.5!
(Mono sucks on Linux)

Will we be seeing the source any time soon? I really think that tools need to start open-sourcing more because as soon as the content creator leaves town we're pretty much screwed for updates/ports/bugs/ASM *cough*A-Map*cough*. Plus it allows for people to improve on the code and learn.
I've been considering releasing the source code, or at least parts of it. I definitely agree with you on the value of sharing it.

On the other hand I have some good news! I figured out how to index images, so now the program can index your tileset for you! Awesome!

Old October 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Barry
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Calm
So much more convenient than using Sphere for this. I am patiently waiting a release
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo View Post
I've been considering releasing the source code, or at least parts of it. I definitely agree with you on the value of sharing it.

On the other hand I have some good news! I figured out how to index images, so now the program can index your tileset for you! Awesome!
If you would like, I would be willing to have a look at your code and fix your bug for you. I am also interested to see how you've gone about prioritizing your colors.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM
itari
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
If you would like, I would be willing to have a look at your code and fix your bug for you. I am also interested to see how you've gone about prioritizing your colors.
Well so far there aren't any bugs of note in the program, which is a plus. But I appreciate the offer.

For prioritizing colors, I don't. My indexing is quite simple, I just go off the first 16 colors that I find that are radically different from the previous.

Old October 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Okay, I'm stupid. Just so the few people who actually download this know, I messed up a single line in the code that cuts off some of the tiles. So I've removed the download.

Anyway, since I just can't leave this thing as simply a tileset creator, I've decided to go the whole way and change it to a full-blown tilemap editor.

Basically, it now not only rips apart images, it also reconstructs the tilemap from the image!

Here's what it looks like.
Spoiler:

So... I'll just put the download up when I finish it for those that are interested.
;^; But I need the thing because of reasons.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old October 19th, 2013, 04:38 AM
daniilS

Okay, so I'm making a town map for my hack, and I think this tool would help me a lot if it had two features:
1. Rotated tiles, like I mentioned earlier, but I forgot they don't even work in 8BPP mode.
2. I don't know if this is possible, but still: the original FR town map is 16 colours, but uses three different palettes: water, land&route-towns-the yellow close sign.
My map, however, is in dp style with personal additions, so it has around 30-40 colours, and things like rounded route edges. My question is: would it be possible to let the game automatically split it into 1-16 palettes, like land&water-town-straight route-route with land corner-water route with water corner-etc... so I don't have to do it myself, becuse it would take quite a lot time. I hope you understand.

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

COULD YOU PLS PUT THE DOWNLOAD LINK BACK IN THE THREAD!!

My hack
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Frosty~
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
COULD YOU PLS PUT THE DOWNLOAD LINK BACK IN THE THREAD!!
Well, she said she was going to put the download link back when she finished making it a tile map editor by adding more features to it. She's not done yet i.e. no download link.
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM
itari
Community Supporter

Update!

Okay everyone, I come here today with an new and improved version of Tileset Creator, which I call Tilemap Creator! It had all the awesomeness that was in the original, but now it also creates tilemaps and can even index your image for you! Awesome!

The download can be found on the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayCay98 View Post
Well, she said she was going to put the download link back when she finished making it a tile map editor by adding more features to it. She's not done yet i.e. no download link.
Also, just to clear up any confusion, I am a "he."

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Frosty~
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Update!

Okay everyone, I come here today with an new and improved version of Tileset Creator, which I call Tilemap Creator! It had all the awesomeness that was in the original, but now it also creates tilemaps and can even index your image for you! Awesome!

The download can be found on the first post.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, I am a "he."
Sorry, your avatar picture mislead me to think you are a female. Haha ha
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:38 AM
Rasenshurikenbum
ASM is very cool!

I think it would be nice if the "palette tile editor" had an "select area" function. You just select your area (something like selecting in any photo software) and change every tile in this selection to the one you choose
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM
daniilS

I tried it. Works fine, but still doesn't support horizontal/vertical flip. I will really need this feature when creating more than one townmap for my hack.

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
itari
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasenshurikenbum View Post
I think it would be nice if the "palette tile editor" had an "select area" function. You just select your area (something like selecting in any photo software) and change every tile in this selection to the one you choose
If you mean like filling everything in a selected box, I could possibly do something like that. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
I tried it. Works fine, but still doesn't support horizontal/vertical flip. I will really need this feature when creating more than one townmap for my hack.
Good to know that my program works as intended. I agree that it would be cool if I implemented tile flipping, but it's kinda difficult to do, so it's not a priority.

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM
daniilS

Quote:
If you mean like filling everything in a selected box, I could possibly do something like that. We'll see.

Good to know that my program works as intended. I agree that it would be cool if I implemented tile flipping, but it's kinda difficult to do, so it's not a priority.
Okay, thanks for the reply.
Also, could you please answer my other questions? Specifying borders is mandatory for me, since the map is located in the center, and the two palmap functions would be really helpful.

EDIT: also, the palettemap isn't really clear now. I would suggest something like NTME/NTME+ has.

Last edited by daniilS; October 21st, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Not because I want it, but because I can
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:49 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

I'm going to guess you haven't thought about this ( haven't tested it myself ) but you may want to consider what a tile looks like flipped horizontally and vertically in your tile reduction algorithm. ie, instead of

if(a==b){keep(a);discard(b);}
if(a==b||a.flipHorizontal()==b||a.flipVertical()==b||a.flipHorizontal().flipVertical()==b){keep(a);discard(b);}

It might not be that much of a huge modification in your code logic, but the effects would have substantial benefit. ( I'm going under the assumption that you don't have to write the core aspects of the flipping functions yourself and that you're using some image processing library or other -- even if you did, that code would not be too terribly complicated ).

None the less, I'm very excited to use this tool.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:38 PM
itari
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
I'm going to guess you haven't thought about this ( haven't tested it myself ) but you may want to consider what a tile looks like flipped horizontally and vertically in your tile reduction algorithm. ie, instead of

if(a==b){keep(a);discard(b);}
if(a==b||a.flipHorizontal()==b||a.flipVertical()==b||a.flipHorizontal().flipVertical()==b){keep(a);discard(b);}

It might not be that much of a huge modification in your code logic, but the effects would have substantial benefit. ( I'm going under the assumption that you don't have to write the core aspects of the flipping functions yourself and that you're using some image processing library or other -- even if you did, that code would not be too terribly complicated ).

None the less, I'm very excited to use this tool.
Oh yeah, now I feel stupid. That would be quite easy to implement.

And thanks. The support is always nice.

Update!

Okay, so after getting my head straightened by Full Metal, I have wonderful news! I actually managed to implement X and Y flipping for the tiles, and in a record breaking 2 minutes. I amaze myself sometimes.

Proof:
Spoiler:

So yeah! Expect this, and more, in the next release!

Last edited by itari; October 22nd, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

If you can make this work backwards too, that'd be awesome. Like given an image and a tile map for the image, show me where to place the tiles to "unscramble" the tile map.

More simply, if I select a tile on the original image, show me which tile on the tilemap was used and what transformation to apply to get back the original tile. Ex: If I have a bird picture and a tilemap for it. I can click on the birds peek tile from the original image and it'll highlight which tile is used for the beak and what transformation was applied during the transfer. I'm not sure how clear I'm making myself here :P
You can think of this function as another look up.

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here