• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Big Bang 2016 [Collaboration between FF&W and A&D]

Bay

Years
PokéCommunity Big Bang 2016
Fanfiction & Writing and Art & Design Collaboration

The event and its purpose

Hello, and welcome to a joint event collaboration between the Fanfiction and Writing and Art and Design sections , the PokeCommunity Big Bang!

If you don't know what a Big Bang is, it's an event in various sites, like Tumblr and Livejournal/Dreamwidth, where writers and artists collaborated together on a project. Usually the norm would be over 10,000 words and several art pieces, but because this is the first time we're doing this we'll be doing this low key. The purpose of this challenge is to bring the writers and artists of PokeCommunity together and have them work one another to create fantastic Pokemon fanworks!

To get an example of how this works, check out this Pokemon Big Bang from Dreamwidth a few years go.

What are the requirements and sign up for writer?

For writers, the requirement is a new piece of Pokémon work that is over 3,000 words minimum and fits with this event's theme. You can go over the word limit if the story calls for it and chaptered, but do keep in mind this is supposed to be a shorter challenge compared to other Big Bangs. Near the end of the challenge, you are to post your story in a separate thread in the Fanfiction and Writing section.

To sign up, post in the Fanfiction and Writing's version of this thread and the following info:

Username
What will your story will be about (optional)

What are the requirements and sign up for artists?

For artists, graphic or traditional/digital artists are welcome. For traditional/digital artists, you are required to do at least two art pieces. Doesn't necessary have to be fully colored, but at least a full sketch. For graphic artists, at least two graphic edits. Near the end of the challenge, you can post your art in your art gallery thread if you have one already.

To sign up, post in the Art and Design's version of this thread and the following info:

Username
Graphic, Traditional, or Digital
Any particular preferences you're willing to work/not work (characters, ships, specific games, etc)

Theme?

Some Big Bangs have a theme, and for this event we got one. In celebration for the upcoming Pokémon Sun and Moon games, the theme will be...

An Island Adventure!.

How you interpret this is up to you.

How is the overall sign up, claiming, turning in stories/art will work?

Sign ups start for both artists and writer on September 5th and ends on October 16th. When sign up ends, writers are to PM the mods Bay Alexison, Fairy, and Nina their partial rough drafts (stories need to be at least 70 percent/ more than halfway done) and summaries of their stories. The art mods will then post the summaries of those stories and artists will respond with their top three choices. From there on, artists and writers will be matched and start collaborating with one another.

Final drafts for both parties are due late November, in that case more information on how to turn your work in and posting will be provided the closer we hit the deadline.

Can I sign up as both an artist and writer?

If you're a writer and want to do art also, you can as long as it's someone else's story and not yours. With artists, if you want to write also then that's fine but you'll have to do art for another story. As mentioned, the purpose of this event is the collaboration between the writers and artists.

Do keep in mind though if you're signing up for both you might have your hands fool and probably burn out, especially with this event running when many folks in the forums are getting back in school/jobs/etc , and the upcoming holidays. So yeah, do prepare double the responsibility if you want to do both.

What if I can't make to the deadline?

We're aware that real life happens, so if that's the case let the mods know as soon as possible and we'll do our best to accommodate you with an alternative extension/deadline. If under dire circumstances you need to drop out, do let us know too so we can do proper arrangements.

My artist dropped out. What happens now?

If you're the author and your artist dropped, let us know as soon as possible and we'll see about assigning you a pinch hitter. Pinch hitters are reserved artists who will take the place of the original artist if they are unable to finish. For pinch hitters, there will be signs ups soon (more info below).

Worse case scenario you are allowed to post your story without the accompanying art, but we'll do our best to prevent that from happening.

My author dropped out. What happens now?

Unlike artists, there will be no pinch hitters for authors. Writers are required to submit a rough draft that's close to finished before the artist claims takes place. The schedule below is meant to prevent that from happening, but there is a chance it will happen.

If you're the artist finding yourself in this situation, you may choose to post your work without the accompanying story or drop out as well.

Speaking of pinch hitters…

If you're an artist and missed the first phase of the sign ups, you're in luck. While missing the first phase of the sign ups will lock you out for first claims mid October, there will be sign ups for pinch hitters so you'll still get a chance to do some art for a story. We'll have a list of the initial artists and the pinch hitters, and those initial artists that dropped out we'll contact the pinch hitters to see who is available first to take over.

I'm a writer and I need a beta/someone to look over my work. Where can I find one?

(Beta list link here)

PokeCommunity's Fanfic Section used to have a beta service, but it's no longer in use. However, for the purpose of this challenge we'll have a list of the available betas and a separate sign up for that in the Fanfiction and Writing section very soon.

Schedule?

9/5/16- Sign ups for both artists and writers begin
10/16/16- Sign ups for both artists and writers closed. Partial rough drafts due.
10/17/16- Summaries of stories will be posted in the Art and Design section. Claiming begins
10/24/16- Claiming of summaries end. Artists and writers will be informed of their matchups within a few days or sooner. We'll also have sign-ups for pinch-hitters soon.
11/20/16- Final drafts and art due.
11/21/16 towards 11/28/16- Posting period

This is the initial schedule, though it is subject to change.

More questions?

If you any other concerns, ask away in this thread

(css layout by Achromatic)​

Last edited:

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Ooh, dang, I have absolutely no ideas for that theme, but I'm sure I'll be able to think of something. I'm in!

Years
Username Aisu
What will your story will be about (optional) An old village's ritual's monotony is broken by a particularly grouchy spirit

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Heyyy quick question. If I were to do some sort of choose-your-own-adventure type thing would it be okay if I use inklewriter?

Oh, a choose your own adventure story would be fun. Because of the nature of this type of story, I'll allow you to link your adventure story here if you decide to use that site. Usually this type of thing might be better suited for maybe Game Development, but because you'll be using that story for the Big Bang and I'm assuming this won't be like a full blown visual novel I think this should be fine. With that out of the way, do make sure all of the material is at least 3,000 words.

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
Username : PercyX
Story plot : N ( Black series) gets lost and finds himself stuck at a deserted Island ...
He is frustrated and confused and doesnt know anything , and with a sudden gust he finds himself being followed by a shadow ...
What would happen to him ?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Fun!

Username: adventure
Story: i don't know yet. Will update this post when I've got a plan!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Username: TrashyVerse

Story Title: Hoenn.

Summary: After the attack on Lumiose Steven and Alain spend some time in Hoenn, just the two of them. Alain knew that if the attack never happened, if Lysandre never faked his death, he wouldn't have ever been able to come back here. But instead of remorse, he feels something else. Can Steven help him get past that?

Pairings: Steven/Alain, Mentions of Past-Lysandre/Augustine Sycamore, Augustine/Meyer (mentions)

Note: I always thought of Hoenn as the tropical region before Alola, so I'll be having them spend time on one of Steven's Islands. Since, he is the Elite Four, and the son of the dude who owns the one thing in (forget Steven's dad's name is it just Mr. Stone or President Stone?) I can imagine Steven being filthy rich.

Art: I have an idea for someone who can get me art. But if I can't get it on time it's really no big deal for me. I wouldn't be drawing it, I'd get a commission from this lovely person who I love getting work done for my past works that i have posted here

http://skydrew.deviantart.com/

If that's alright with you all? They'd be totally credited of course, like they've always been. This also takes place in my Poke-Crossed Series. Alain & Steven are an established couple, Ash has been crowned champion of my AU, Meyer & Augustine are a couple, and after the attack on Lumiose (Team Flare Arc in XYZ pretty much which I'm writing about and have Part 1 posted on this site) everyone's just kinda like 'now what?'. Feel free to check out my drabbles & oneshots if you want to.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Art: I have an idea for someone who can get me art. But if I can't get it on time it's really no big deal for me. I wouldn't be drawing it, I'd get a commission from this lovely person who I love getting work done for my past works that i have posted here

http://skydrew.deviantart.com/

If that's alright with you all? They'd be totally credited of course, like they've always been. This also takes place in my Poke-Crossed Series. Alain & Steven are an established couple, Ash has been crowned champion of my AU, Meyer & Augustine are a couple, and after the attack on Lumiose (Team Flare Arc in XYZ pretty much which I'm writing about and have Part 1 posted on this site) everyone's just kinda like 'now what?'. Feel free to check out my drabbles & oneshots if you want to.

Well the purpose of this Big Bang is to have PokeCommunity writers and artists to join and work together, so I highly prefer if they join the forums and sign up for the Big Bang themselves. If they aren't willing to join the forums or they can't be able to work with you the art mods will still put your story up for claims if you manage to turn in a large portion of your rough draft before the due date. Hope this answers your concern.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Well the purpose of this Big Bang is to have PokeCommunity writers and artists to join and work together, so I highly prefer if they join the forums and sign up for the Big Bang themselves. If they aren't willing to join the forums or they can't be able to work with you the art mods will still put your story up for claims if you manage to turn in a large portion of your rough draft before the due date. Hope this answers your concern.

Yeah i didn't read that part, I don't mind that. When do I need to post my rough draft?

Edit: Nevermind. I read it. Sorry xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I am pulling out before it closes o: I can't promise I'll have energy to work on this, so I want to avoid disappointing anybody!

Bay

Years
I am pulling out before it closes o: I can't promise I'll have energy to work on this, so I want to avoid disappointing anybody!

Aw, sorry to hear that. If you change your mind, do let me know. Otherwise, hopefully you'll come to read some of the Big Bang stories once they're posted in late November. =)

While I'm still here, writers you still have about around two weeks, October 16, left until partial drafts (and sign ups if you haven't done so) are due! Reminder when turning in the drafts, you send them to me, Fairy, and Nina through PMs and then we'll go ahead with matching up the artists and writers.

Bay

Years
Double posting to say the writers that signed up have about two days (Oct. 16) to PM their partial rough drafts to me, Fairy, and Nina! If you want, you guys can PM the partial drafts to us now.

Bay

Years
Any chance of an extension on this? A week would be nice.

With partial drafts, your story doesn't need to be finished just a bit over halfway done so artists have something to go by. However, we only have one story turned in to us so far. If no one else turns in their drafts and/or the other writers here want an extension, though, then I can discuss with the art mods to do an extension (and also an extra week for artists to sign up).

Bay

Years
Okay, so after talking with the art mods, we decide to give the writers an extra week until they can turn in their drafts! So yeah, the new due date for the drafts will be October 23rd. Besides only having two stories being sent (thanks Aisu and Bardothren for turning them in) , this gives the art mods the chance to gather more artists to sign up.

With that out of the way, art claims will start after October 23rd instead.

Bay

Years
Thanks, I'll get to it! And sorry about the delay.
Don't worry about it. Looking forward to when you turn yours in.

It's like, every time I rush to finish something on time is when the deadline is extended, oh wow
Haha, sorry. There are a few reasons for the extension. Besides not enough people turning in the drafts, the art mods and I are a bit pre-occupied with other obligations so this should give both us and the participants some breathing room.

Back