• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Rogue

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Pokemon Emerald Rogue V1.3.2 - The Regional Update

Ever wondered what Pokemon might look like as a Roguelike?
Pokemon Emerald Rogue is my take on it!

How does it work?
When you go on an adventure all routes, encounters and items will be procedurally chosen based on your progress into a run
After a certain number of routes you will encounter a random gym leader who will have a procedurally chosen team of their assigned type; as you progress further into a run gym leaders and other trainers will start using more difficult setups for their pokemon.
If you can make it all the way to the champion and defeat them, then you will have completed the run!

Once you complete or wipe out of a run you will go back to a hub area where you can buy permanent items and catch new "starter" Pokemon to use in the next run
As you progress further into the run, you will unlock more buildings/NPCs in this hub area to use for preparing the next run

How long does a run take?
It can vary based on how thorough you are being, but in my testing a complete run usually takes between 3-4 hours of in game time.
The is a quick save options (REST in the menu) which lets you put the game down mid run and return however be warned this does not allow save scumming

📽 Videos
Spoiler:

📷 Photos
Spoiler:

✨ Features
For the latest features/patch-nodes, always refer to the Discord #patch-notes channel!

Spoiler:

💾 Download
Latest: PokemonEmeraldRogue v1.3.2
For info on how to apply patches search on Youtube or follow steps here https://www.pokemoncoders.com/apply-ips-ups-patch-play-rom-hack/
If you have any issue with patching, please check the FAQ channel on the Discord server linked below

📰 Versions
Expanded (EX)
This is the recommended version
This version contains modern improvements e.g. new battle items, abilities, fairy type, physical/special split etc.
(This is based on RH-Hideout's Emerald Expansion *Many thanks to all involved ❤)

Vanilla
Just standard Pokemon Emerald battle mechanics with no changes other than those mentioned in Subtle Changes from base game

💬 Discord
For notifications on new releases as well as a good place to bug report and request features join the Discord!
https://discord.gg/XGyB9gTb8E

Last edited:

AstroBreak

Tinkerer
Years
Looks like a very refreshing take on a rom hack. The config options and customisation are nice to have, too; just started a run so let's see how it goes

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Dec 4, 2022
just started playing this hack, beat the second gym leader, and found a shiny machop in the desert. what's the shiny odds in this hack?

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Dec 4, 2022
i also got the party wipe bug, all i did was catch an aron and replace my sneasel with it, though it did evolve after i caught it so that might be it?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I think I'm experiencing some type of bug with the Exp?
I seemingly very quickly reached the initial Level 15 cap for my starter + a Bulbasaur I caught.
After those 2 had hit the cap, ended up in a new area by going through a cave/base spot and found a Houndour at Level 7 and caught it... Immediately after that I encountered and defeated a Mankey at Lvl 5 using my starter. I then noticed Houndour was now at Level 12 after just that ONE battle. The very next wild encounter was a Sandshrew Lvl 7. I defeated it with my starter as well. Houndour then hit Level 15.

So 2 wild encounters and suddenly Houndour is at Level 15.
I'm guessing since my starter + Bulbasaur were at their cap that the Exp they would have naturally earned rolled over to Houndour?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Not a bug. The exp is suppose to be super fast so there is no need to grinding

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jul 31, 2023
I finished a run on vanilla then tried the ex and whaaat you can actually play with pokemon up to gen 8 that's so sick

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Appreciate the response on the Exp. Good to know.

I did just find something else that surely is a bug. The BGM music stopped playing after a short of chain of events occured that I'll explain. The sound effects are still working however.

I found 2 items next to each other, 3x Lure and 3x SwiftFeathers (in that order), I immediately paused after the SwiftFeathers so I could use them on Staryu, which I did. Once I came out of the menu I realized the music had stopped at some point after I paused to use the items. Picking up the items, pausing, and using them I was attempting to do as quick as possible, but something in that chair broke the BGM.

EDIT: About a minute after this, I found 2 more items next to each other, the BGM restored itself after collecting those items.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
There isn't a discord yet. Tbh I've got too much else on my plate atm 😅
I might consider setting one up at some point later down the line though

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Created an account just to say how much fun this romhack is!!! I think my only feedback so far is that I wish there was some kind of indication as to how close I am to entering a gym leader room or a town/healing spot room, would make it a bit easier to prepare. Looking very much forward to future updates to this, and definitely would love to join the discord whenever that is made/available!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
Found an oversight, where if you fight a trainer and they are in front of the exit they can just block the exit and softlocke you, I've already seen it happen a few times.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I've setup a discord now with the link in the main post :)
It should be a convenient place to keep up to date on any new patches

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
That's bad! I thought I got all of those. Which routes does this happen on? If you can give me screenshots of the route (even without the trainer there) that should be fine

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 24, 2022
EWHjb3Y

Really enjoying the hack, always hoped someone would make something like this. The only problem I've encountered so far is wrong ability display. I was trying to switch out with Baltoy against a Wobbuffet, and it displayed Baltoy's ability as the limiting factor, not Wobbuffet's (picrel). Definitely the best gameplay hack I've played in the past 4 years though, great work and can't wait to see what comes next!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Yep! Although you have to have a run which gots 8 badges before they start to appear

Years
Honestly this is the best romhack I've played since Gaia came out. Surprisingly addicting because how fast-paced it is and each battles feels stressful even if I do get overleveled. Overall I really think this has alot of potential to blow out other challenge romhacks with adding more small details and some unique additions.

I have got cool ideas but some majorly additions I would like to see like:
* adding totem-style challenge boss battles (or strong uncapturable mon randomly appear if player stays on a floor for long time)
* removing nurse and instead PP's are healed after every battle (and Max PP is reduced)
* more variety routes from other gens would been really nice. I think hoenn itself has other routes you could add like combining routes (like route 101-103), team hideouts and some long water route which player will use boat to travel that can land only on specific tiles.

One odd bug I have found about when mons evolve, then they dont learn their move at their respective level (for example: my torchic evolved at level 16 but didnt learnt double kick. Same for mudkip and other as well. )

Back