• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

¿Do you played Pokémon thought a emulator or real hardware for the first time?

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
Years
  • Unfortunately for me, i never played Pokémon in a real hardware. Mainly because where i live, the price for Switch game is high, so i only play thought a emulator of GBA. I want to hear if anybody passed for that moment where only played Pokémon thought a emulator by another reason; like a story or whatever explaining the complainces or why you couldn't afford for a Pokémon game or console

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If via an emulator is how you have to play it, then that's how you have to play it. Unless you're some rich bastard, the cost of just about everything the world over is fucking absurd. Save money where you can, and nobody owes corporations a fucking thing.

But to get to the last bit: some people do play Pokemon via emulators and such because they offer certain desirable QoL features, or if you expand into the world of fan games/ROM Hacks, because to some they feel that they offer superior story/gameplay/etc.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I played through Gen 3-Gen 6 for the first time on real hardware, but eventually switched to emulation because it's so much more convenient for me. Every other Pokemon game I've played has been emulated.

(I also technically tried to play Gold for the first time on real hardware, but the battery didn't actually work and I couldn't save the game. The emulated version worked just fine though.)

Years
    • Seen today
    I guess both since my preferred methods for playing Generation 1 and 2 are the 3DS virtual console. This is emulation on real hardware.

Currently have physical copies of Platinum, White, Sword, and Ultra Sun. I have digital versions of both Gen 9 games.

If I crave to play the others it will likely have to be through pure emulation. Hopefully some day Gen 3 will be more accessible.

Years
  • I first played on real hardware and the vast majority of my playtime is on real carts. Although I have dipped my toes into emulation for things like messing around with cheat codes and glitches in Gens 1-4.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • I guess both since my preferred methods for playing Generation 1 and 2 are the 3DS virtual console. This is emulation on real hardware.

Currently have physical copies of Platinum, White, Sword, and Ultra Sun. I have digital versions of both Gen 9 games.

If I crave to play the others it will likely have to be through pure emulation. Hopefully some day Gen 3 will be more accessible.

Now than you are saying, gen 3 is complicated to play nowdays. There are such events like catching Deoxys than aren't accesible wihout the use of glitches or cheat codes. It's a shame :(

Years
  • Other than trying out Uranium once, and getting bored with it before even reaching the first gym, I've only ever played official Pokemon games on Nintendo hardware, which other than my GameBoy and N64 are all still functional too... last time I checked anyway lol
    I don't recall ever using an emulator.

Years
  • Emulators broke my Mac laptop in the mid 2000's. Now that technology is better in the early 2020's, is it worth trying on my basic Chromebook laptop? Other games other than Pokemon too?

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • Emulators broke my Mac laptop in the mid 2000's. Now that technology is better in the early 2020's, is it worth trying on my basic Chromebook laptop? Other games other than Pokemon too?

I mean, i think it's safe try out some emulators on an basic chromebook laptop. Maybe you can try emulating A DS or even PSX (with the correct configurations), or more basics like SNES or MAME (arcade games). Obviously, you need to do your own research, but i give you a good idea of what you can emulate

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    When I first like brought gold it was actually an hardware and nowadays, gaming laptop can perform better playing games thru emulation and newer consoles and games tends to be pricey so I don't want spend money if both brokes and lose a safe so I resort to playing on emulator all the way.

Years
  • On my GBC back in 1998 or so. I've played every game on real hardware since the beginning personally, I just love being able to loaf around in bed playing on my handhelds lol.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • First played Red on GBC and have stuck with hardware ever since. I've used emulators to play some PS1 games for the first time (Digimon World and Monster Rancher) as well as to replay old GC games (Pikmin and Metroid Prime).

VaatiRulesets

Check my custom rulesets on my signature ^^ [PC Vi
    Days
    • Seen Nov 11, 2023
    I've played all the Gen 3 games + Diamond on hardware. Stopped playing Pokémon, then played on Pokémon Showdown. I missed the rpg aspect of Pokémon so I returned to the main line games but decided to play on emulators, way more convinient for everything (specially for challenges). If I cared for shinies or living dex, I would return to hardware, but it's not the case as of now.

Dax-MASters

Most popular on Pokégram!
    Days
  • Unfortunately for me, i never played Pokémon in a real hardware. Mainly because where i live, the price for Switch game is high, so i only play thought a emulator of GBA. I want to hear if anybody passed for that moment where only played Pokémon thought a emulator by another reason; like a story or whatever explaining the complainces or why you couldn't afford for a Pokémon game or console

I've never played on realhardware i don't think i'm going to anytime soon. I mean i would love to but.........you should know why.

I actually started my pokemon journey this year when i say a friend playing pokemon ruby on an emulator and since then i got hooked! .
    I played pokemon emerald and decided to try other games. Right now i'm on Black 2 and Y since i decided to play a pokemon game for each region. Well, thats my story, Dax out!

Days
    • they/them
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Original hardware at first (starting with the Game Boy), but now I use emulators since I mainly play romhacks these days.

I did play some 3DS hacks on real hardware though since I have CFW.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i always try to play on original hardware if possible, just because that's how i prefer it. and with as much hardware as i have, i gotta make use of it! lol i play on emulators when i stream games pre-switch though, just because i don't have a good way to record my older consoles. i only have a capture card that works with my switch. and then i play some rom hacks on emulator as well.

Days
    • Seen Jan 20, 2024
    I play using Yuzu or Ryujinx emulator since I no longer have nintendo switch after I sold mine some time ago.
    Going to buy me a used nintendo switch on 12th December.

Back