• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★ Toxic to the Touch ★ Poison Type Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    If it were up to us to change secondary typing of any existing poison-types, which Pokémon would it be?

Oh look, a traditional topic.

Eh, maybe make the snake Pokémon Poison/Ground, but that's about it for me. I could see the Nidos being Poison/Rock, it's not that Farfetch'd.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Don't mean to change the subject, but I just thought of a one hit kill (KO) move that Poison types could get (not many particularly enjoy them, but extra moves, so. . .).

Lethal Gas: The user swathes the foe in a cloak of incredibly toxic fumes, causing the opposing Pokemon to faint. In Triple and Double battles it badly poisons, burns, or paralyzes the adjacent Pokemon (33% chance for each status effect).

It'd probably be an signature move by a new Pokemon, but I thought it unique if it could cause harmful effects in addition to one hit knock outs; thought of it because 'chemical warfare' so, yeah. In addition to being relatively low accuracy (standard 30%) it has those cool effects tacked on. I think it's fair if Poison types finally get their hands on a couple legendaries, don't you?

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    We could also have something more like a poison type version of Perish Song? I don't think that many poisons kill their opponents instantly and there's not many moves like the one mentioned previously. Maybe the user wouldn't even be affected by the turn counter as they're essentially poison types themselves? And if it were to OHKO, perhaps accuracy could also increase if the foe is already poisoned. Not by too much but something like 5% could work. :)

Definitely! Poison types have been around since RBY and yet we already have a couple of million dragon legendaries along with Xerneas. It does seem a little unfair, don't you think? :(

As for signature moves, it really depends on what sort of creature the legendary turns out to be. If Lethal Gas or another OHKO move was used, they could probably pull off an Articuno and couple it with a move like Mind Reader. It's pretty nasty but it'd definitely help make the user stronger. :]

CoffeeDrink

Years
    When you mean poisons that don't kill instantly, are we talking about real poisons or just in game? Because like I said (or meant, you never know with me) Lethal Gas would be modeled after chemical weapons (chlorine, Mustard, Serin, nasty stuff, etc.).

The gas is meant to harm and cripple opponents so they can no longer fight (actual military strategy), you know like tear gas which when inhaled translates to: "stop what you are doing right this very minute you plebeian" so I think it would work in knocking out a Pokemon (incapacitating) in one move quite nicely. We just need a handful of more Poison moves (Belch doesn't count). Poison is getting left in the dust here.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Oh I was sort of following along those lines. My thoughts were that they'd be crippled before fainting in a few turns as opposed to instantly. But then again, I wouldn't have a clue how strong each chemical gas is so I'll go with your idea, haha. :]

Yeah, poison types are definitely getting the cold shoulder in terms of almost everything. No legendary, a lack of moves and it doesn't feel like too many new ones are getting introduced either. But if we were to introduce Lethal Gas, do you think they'd work on a legendary or just common pokemon like Stunky or Koffing that fits the move's general description?

Wicked3DS

Years
    Well we briefly talked about this one briefly, but it's officially our Pokémon of the Week:

Spoiler:

Venusaur! Ashley's favorite frog.

SoulSilver Pokédex: It is able to convert sunlight into energy. As a result, it is more powerful in the summertime.

Summer of Solarbeam!

I like Venusaur, it's probably in my top 3 Grass-types. I mostly like it because it can use Sleep Powder, so it's good for helping to catch Pokémon. It's a pretty good Special Attacker and it's fairly bulky as well, so it's a very balanced Grass-type.

Also: I redesigned the original post so that it matches up with my other clubs. It's much easier to manage now :P

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

Years
    But if we were to introduce Lethal Gas, do you think they'd work on a legendary or just common pokemon like Stunky or Koffing that fits the move's general description?

Sorry about the late reply, but I think it could or perhaps should because the only Pokemon capable of Learning a OHKO in terms of Poison types are Nidoran♂ and Nidorino. There is so many moves that could be created for Poison types! I feel like Belch and Venom Drench (setup moves) harm more than help. There can be moves like:

Exhaust: Power 40/20 PP: Lowers the Accuracy of the target by Two stages.

Particle Dust: Power--/10 PP: Creates a field of hazardous particles that stick to everyone on the field enabling Steel types to become susceptible to Poison type attacks, and healing Poison types for 1/18th of their HP every turn, this effect lasts 5 turns.

Bad Chemistry: Power 30-200?/10 PP: Random effects include Explosion/Selfdestruct, status effects, raising or lowering of stats, confusion or simply fainting. Both the target and the user are susceptible to any of these effects. Basically a souped up present that is fun to use but perhaps none too useful in competitive play.

Chemical Fire: Power 80/10 PP: Badly Burns or Badly Poisons the Target.

Accuracy of the moves are up for debate. Let's see how many we can come up with, yah?

Fun Fact! Nearly 90% of fire-related deaths are due to smoke Poisoning!

On topic: Out of the big G1 'V's (Venasaur, Vileplume, and Victreebel) I've always preferred Victreebell, even more so due to Venasuar's horrid default ability that you may or may not even be able to use, and getting it's hidden ability to offset this is a chore. All three can learn Solar beam, but only Vileplume can truly make use of it with Chlorophyll as it's default ability, and on top of that it has a superior Special Attack stat (Mega Venasaur doesn't count). Also, Pitcher plants and Rafflesia are cooler than the Plant/Dinosaur in my opinion, because you know these things are real to a varying degree.

And did you know that Vileplume is based on an actual plant called the corpse flower? Can't get cooler than that my friend. Corpse Flower, I choose you! See? Pretty creepy.

Side note: getting ready to throw open doors to my exclusive Poison club trading booth. Want a poison type with a certain move set? I can handle that for you. Need one with a hidden ability? I'll try my best. Certain types of PokeBalls you want them in? I can do that too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Venusaur is one of my most favorite grass-types out there, generally.

First and foremost is, I believe it's got some decent credibility due to the Pokémon being one of the starters of Kanto, which is the first region we've ever got to visit in terms of games or anime. As far as latter goes, although Venusaur mightn't have made much appearances as some other Pokémon--Charizard, for example--when it did appear, things were rather memorable, at least from my perspective.

As for former, I believe Venusaur could make an amazing asset to almost anyone's in-game team. I've had it in Y to test its new mega-form out, and it was purely great. It could also stand on its own rather well in the competitive scene; thanks to its more-than-average Special Attack stat, it's able to cause some major harm.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    No problem! I like all the moves - they're creative, can work in-game and help to increase the movepool of poison types. Overall, I'm really impressed! I look forward to whatever you come up with in the future. :)

That's interesting. I would say that they could just expand the number of poison types that can learn OHKO moves but it's also a speciality of the Nido family, really. So I get what you're saying but it'd still be nice to broaden the horizon sometime and throw some OHKO moves to the others.

Honestly though, the corpse flower idea isn't too bad. I thought Vileplume was just an oversized, mushroom this whole time but apparently not! Either way, the flytrap idea is admittedly scarier. Come on, Victreebel would probably snap off hands in a heartbeat. Tell me that isn't scary. :(

On the contrary though, Venusaur's my favourite out of the three. Aside from the fact that it tossed away a normal life to chase its lifelong dream of being a frog in Venusaur: The Frog Within, it's a cool starter. I'll admit that it got tossed to the sidelines until I tried using one in X/Y but it did amazingly well when I finally did. The mega form, attacks, stats, all of it made the game seem like a breeze. I loved using Venusaur and would definitely consider using one again in the future.

I've also come to appreciate its jurassic design. It took me a while to realise it was anywhere near dinosaur-like but I loved its design tenfolds more after I did. Its mega wasn't half bad either. :]

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    I meant to reply to this a while ago but my thing died and I forgot to get back on for a few days. T.T And now I don't remember what I meant to say.....

On topic: Venusaur isn't my favorite but it's still very good. I've only ever used one in Adventure Red Chapter and Y~ And you know various small forgotton games like failed nuzlockescoughcough.....
    My only problem is I misuse the poor things' movesets so I always end up with bad moves. My Y Venusaur needs a better move than Solar Beam and I keep forgetting to change Poisonpowderp for Toxic. >.>

Victreebel out of t thgtee kanto v's. >.>

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

Years
    The Kanto V Grass/Poison-types, never thought about that before. Victreebel is probably my favorite since it has the best design and I find it to be pretty powerful, I used it on a HeartGold playthrough and it was pretty good. Venusaur would be second and Vileplume third.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not sure if I've stated this before (probably have), but I'm indeed a fan of Victreebel, mostly thanks to anime.

If I remember correctly, it was one of Jame's Pokémon throughout the seasons (or was it Jessie's?). Whenever he would send it out, the Pokémon would immediately begin putting its mouth onto his entire head; moments like these, I believe, were certainly interesting. Every now and again, they've definitely made me laugh, and I truly appreciate that.

As far as games go, I'm not sure if I have much of an opinion on Victreebel, sadly, as I haven't used it much. However, I did look over its Dex on Serebii before, and it seemed to have had access to some great moves, such as Solarbeam. Sadly, though, its overall stats isn't that great, which I feel is one thing that might be holding this Pokémon down among players.

Wicked3DS

Years
    First Pokémon of the Week for 2015!

Spoiler:

Vileplume!

Sapphire Pokédex: Vileplume has the world's largest petals. They are used to attract prey that are then doused with toxic spores. Once the prey are immobilized, this Pokémon catches and devours them.

Oh hi there cute little Vileplume *gets eaten*

Seriously, are they talking about Vileplume or Victreebel? (Ironically enough we were talking about them just before this).

I like Vileplume and it has grown on me in the past year or so (I even have a fanfic idea for a girl who uses one as her primary partner), but it's really slow in battle which is why I've been hesitant to use it in game, but it does have a pretty nice design and gets some good moves and good Special Attack and Special Defense.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    Funny enough, I'm doing the Ones that got Away Challenge of Sapphire with a Vileplume. XD

I've only used it in the above mentioned game and a randomized Nuzlocke of Sapphire(file was wiped accidentally :( ) so I can't fully say much about it's newer move sets and such, but she's pretty fun to use in game as a set up for tougher opponents. With Sleeppowder + Sweet Scent you can do anything~ XP
    Happy new year guys!!!!~

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    What's up with these poisonous plants devouring everything? Vileplume's dex entry threw me off when I first read it, haha. :(

I guess I'm just surprised to see a devouring, possibly man-eating plant cover its identity with what looks like a giant mushroom. I love Vileplume, don't get me wrong, but this is one of the bigger 'mind = blown' moments I've come across.

I think it's a really useful pokemon, though. With status, recovery and drains, it can stay healthy yet bring pain to opponents. I don't think its the best offensively but its still decent if you're looking for something rather underrated and easy to use. Also its design is really pretty despite what it actually is! If you can look past that, you've got yourself a pretty great grass/poison type.

How do you guys think Vileplume stands next to the other two grass/poison types of Gen I? I'm actually thinking its the worst out of the three in that its outclassed by better moves or stats. Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Its Sapphire PokéDex entry seems to be rather scary, honestly. Vileplume itself is a rather happy-go-lucky Pokémon, but having it be this dangerous in actuality is rather surprising.

Anyhow, I like Vileplume! I've seen it make a couple of appearances in anime before, and they weren't bad; when it did appear, it had made enough of an impact to keep its awareness balanced, so to speak. Last time I'd seen it in terms of this would be last year, when I was watching an old episode in which Vileplume and Bellossom feud with each other due to jealousy.

When it comes to battling and whatnot, I'm pretty fond of it. Although its stats might not be that great in comparison to some other poison-types--Venusaur, for example--they are still all right. Moves it has access to aren't too bad, either. Thanks to help of this Pokémon, in fact, I was able to score some decent win-streak over at Battle Tower on Emerald version few years back.

Wicked3DS

Years
    I guess I'm just surprised to see a devouring, possibly man-eating plant cover its identity with what looks like a giant mushroom. I love Vileplume, don't get me wrong, but this is one of the bigger 'mind = blown' moments I've come across.

How do you guys think Vileplume stands next to the other two grass/poison types of Gen I? I'm actually thinking its the worst out of the three in that its outclassed by better moves or stats. Thoughts?

Yeah it blew my mind too. I didn't think it had a hand in Victreebel's line of work, I just thought it was a flower.

It's speed holds it back a lot from being as competitive as the others. It has pretty good Special Attack and gets the typical Grass/Poison-type movepool. It also gets Dazzling Gleam as an extra option for Special Attacking. Victreebel's has the added option of being a mixed attacker and gets Leaf Blade, one of my favorite moves. Venusaur has bulk on its side more than the others and is I believe the fastest of the three. So Vileplume would be able to keep up if it didn't have an abysmal 50 speed.

CoffeeDrink

Years
    I put my favorite as Victreebell > Vileplume > Venasaur for the Kanto trio; Amoonguss and Roserade add other types of combos, but I digress.

Vileplume has the capability to wonderfully combo all the effects that sunny weather can provide, more so than Venasaur and even Vileplume at least. But Victribell has the best of the best and is perfect in a Sunny Day. Keep in mind that sunny day can become a Doublade, and hurt you with the fire types, but here is a few nice things to keep in mind when dealing with Victreebell on your team:

The 'Solaris' Build:

Ability: Chlorophyll (don't bother with gluttony)
    Moves: Synthesis, Solar Beam, Growth, Sunny Day

As many of you know, Sunny Day can cause differences in many playing fields, boosting Fire Type moves and a few secondary pieces that come into effect when it's in play. Growth, which normally only boosts Attack and Special Attack one stage each, while under the effects of Sunlight, Growth ups the user's Attack and Special Attack by two stages. This combo itself is lofty enough to stand on it's own freeing up potential in several Special type and Physical type moves, such as Acid Spray, Powerwhip, Gigadrain, Energy Ball and many others.

What the Solaris build can really do is utilize Solarbeam and turn it into a laser cannon of doom with enough sunlight to cut through many different types of Pokemon with ease. The major drawback in this build is that it has little defence against a few types that it has little effect on and opposing weather effects; but the Solaris build is a 'high risk, high reward' and when properly utilized, can be used effectively. Growth can even offset some of the type resistances when used in conjunction with Solarbeam.

Synthesis is just another move that utilizes Sunny Day to the fullest, restoring 2/3 of HP over 1/2 regularly. This is more of a personal preference, and could be subbed for another move without too many repercussions. Acid Spray would be extremely handy here when faced with Flying, Fire, Bug, Dragon or other Grass Types to further offset Solarbeam's ineffectiveness against those types.

Yeah it blew my mind too. I didn't think it had a hand in Victreebel's line of work, I just thought it was a flower.

It's speed holds it back a lot from being as competitive as the others. It has pretty good Special Attack and gets the typical Grass/Poison-type movepool. It also gets Dazzling Gleam as an extra option for Special Attacking. Victreebel's has the added option of being a mixed attacker and gets Leaf Blade, one of my favorite moves. Venusaur has bulk on its side more than the others and is I believe the fastest of the three. So Vileplume would be able to keep up if it didn't have an abysmal 50 speed.

Venasaur is faster than the others (base 80) yes, but isn't much faster than Victreebell (base 70), and falls short when in Sunlight due to Chlorophyll being Victreebell's default ability. While it may not learn moves that are super effective against Venasaur, it's higher Attack stats can utilize Wringout and Slam against Venasaur effectively with a Sunny Day/Growth build without many worries.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    Its Sapphire PokéDex entry seems to be rather scary, honestly

A little of topic but has anyone else noticed that the Silver and Sapphire dexes send to be the creepiest/most violent....? >.>

Not counting the original Red/Blue Creepy Pokes anyways, like Hypno.....
    Jus look up Haunter's dex entries. (hey it's dual poison it's slightly on topic XD)

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Mm, yeah, I'd imagine the same would apply to their remakes. Take a look at Gastly's dex entry in Soulsilver for instance:

"Its thin body is made of gas. Despite lacking substance, it can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation"- from Soul SIlver.

That's pretty disturbing, regardless of whether its a gas or not. Also could you imagine Ghastly trying to envelop Groundon? Seems unrealistic to me. :(

I'd imagine Haunter's would be similar since its Gastly's evolution, haha. But yeah, ghost and poison types tend to have the creepier entries. Another one that's not scary but rather depressing is Grimer's. According to one of its dex entries, not only are Grimers harmful to the environment but any ground they touch is poisoned and will never be able to grow fertile earth again.

I think we should also take a moment to remember what was said in the Vileplume / Victreebel discussions. As natural as carnivorous plants are, Vileplume looks relatively innocent while a huge fly trap isn't exactly fun either. They're also both pretty scary when you consider that they could possibly consume large or normal-sized pokemon.

So I have to ask you guys, what poison dex entries do you find most disturbing/scary?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back