• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icycatelf

Alex
Years
There's was a rumor that purple ladybugs with fifteen spots existed, and that they could only be found in Hawaii. That's not entirely true though. The Fifteen-Spotted Lady Beetle may appear purple, albeit very subtly, but it's actually found mainly in the eastern US. This ladybug comes in two color forms: a light form and a dark form. It was once believed that the beetle darkened with maturity, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Shiny Dottler's periwinkle hue is practically identical to the Fifteen-Spotted Lady Beetle. Could it and Shiny Orbeetle be connected to this species?

Dichrorampha bittana, Doubleday's Baileya Moth, Eastern Beebalm (a member of the mint family), Fifteen-Spotted Lady Beetle (lighter form), Fifteen-Spotted Lady Beetle (darker form), Mottled Prominent, Push Pin Slime Mold, Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar, late instar Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar (aka Shiny Caterpie), and Yellow Wave Moth

Attachments

• doubledays_baileya.jpg
    doubledays_baileya.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2
  • dichrorampha_bittana.jpg
    dichrorampha_bittana.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1
  • fifteenspotted_lady_beetle2.jpg
    fifteenspotted_lady_beetle2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2
  • eastern_beebalm.jpg
    eastern_beebalm.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2
  • fifteenspotted_lady_beetle.jpg
    fifteenspotted_lady_beetle.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
  • mottled_prominent.jpg
    mottled_prominent.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2
  • push_pin_slime_mold.jpg
    push_pin_slime_mold.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2
  • spicebush_swallowtail_caterpillar.jpg
    spicebush_swallowtail_caterpillar.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2
  • spicebush_swallowtail_caterpillar2.jpg
    spicebush_swallowtail_caterpillar2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2
  • yellow_wave.jpg
    yellow_wave.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
Name: Lavender
The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Spidops
The plant you will raise: Hibiscus
Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Spiders

Lavender

Years
Look at this cut lil guy! :fufu:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-20230802-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230802-WA0000.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 79

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Look at this cut lil guy! :fufu:
Spoiler:
Very cute!

I unfortunately didn't do much mothing this past moth week on account of family stuff, but I did spot this newbie, a White-Striped Black, before bed one night. (I've really gotta clean off that vinyl siding...)

sAIZRl8.jpg

Was also visited by another Tuliptree Silkmoth a couple nights ago and took the opportunity to get a better pic. Isn't he handsome?

Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Some recent caterpillars: a Saddled Prominent, a Tuliptree Silkworm, an Imperial Moth caterpillar (brown form, 3rd instar), a more colorful example of the Calico Paint, and a better pic of the Powdered Dagger Moth caterpillar.

Been hoping to find some new sphingid cats in particular but I haven't even seen any repeats yet.

Attachments

• imperialcat_brown.jpg
    imperialcat_brown.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 7
  • powdererd_dagger_cat.jpg
    powdererd_dagger_cat.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 6
  • calico_paint.jpg
    calico_paint.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 6
  • tuliptree_silkworm.jpg
    tuliptree_silkworm.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
  • saddled_prominent.jpg
    saddled_prominent.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
Years
Some recent caterpillars: a Saddled Prominent, a Tuliptree Silkworm, an Imperial Moth caterpillar (brown form, 3rd instar), a more colorful example of the Calico Paint, and a better pic of the Powdered Dagger Moth caterpillar.

Been hoping to find some new sphingid cats in particular but I haven't even seen any repeats yet.

These are phenomenal photographs! Your talent is undeniable! Gosh, the caterpillars are all so adorable!!

Lavender

Years

Caterpillars are the cutest things :3

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Some more older pics, including a flat-faced longhorn beetle (Aegomorphus quadrigibbus), some Allegheny Monkeyflowers, an itsy bitsy Black Locust Leafminer Moth, the Common Bird's Nest Fungus, Leconte's Haploa, a Masked Birch Caterpillar, Scarlet Beebalm, a Smaller Sand "Cricket" (technically a grasshopper), some Tuliptree Scale Insects, and a Variable Dancer.

I think it's neat when something has different common names depending on its life stage. The Masked Birch Caterpillar, for example, becomes the Arched Hooktip. It's like Pokémon!

Still hoping for a mole cricket Pokémon someday. I could totally see it evolving from a sand cricket aka pygmy mole cricket.

Attachments

• aegomorphus_quadrigibbus.jpg
    aegomorphus_quadrigibbus.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
  • allegheny_monkeyflower.jpg
    allegheny_monkeyflower.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
  • scarlet_beebalm.jpg
    scarlet_beebalm.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2
  • black_locust_leafminer_moth.jpg
    black_locust_leafminer_moth.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
  • common_birds_nest_fungus.jpg
    common_birds_nest_fungus.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 3
  • variable_dancer.jpg
    variable_dancer.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • tuliptree_scale_insect.jpg
    tuliptree_scale_insect.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2
  • smaller_sand_cricket.jpg
    smaller_sand_cricket.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
  • lecontes_haploa.jpg
    lecontes_haploa.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3
  • masked_birch_caterpillar.jpg
    masked_birch_caterpillar.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Lavender

Years
Ant mimicking jumping spider of some sort
Spoiler:

Dunno what this is, but it's cool.
Spoiler:

Such a cute lil guy!
Spoiler:

Attachments

• DSC00832.JPG
    DSC00832.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00919.JPG
    DSC00919.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC01002 (1).JPG
    DSC01002 (1).JPG
    719.1 KB · Views: 20

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I love the ant-mimicking spiders! Found a couple species for the first time myself this year. Posted one back in May, though it's not quite as convincing as the other which is similar to if not the same as yours: the Slender Ant-Mimic Jumping Spider. Didn't even realize it wasn't an ant until after I got the pic.

Attachments

• slender_antmimic_jumper.jpg
    slender_antmimic_jumper.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4

Lavender

Years
Found a really old swallowtail moth. somehow it still flies!

Spoiler:

Attachments

• 20231018_073912.jpg
    20231018_073912.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231018_074420.jpg
    20231018_074420.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Found a really old swallowtail moth. somehow it still flies!

Spoiler:

It's amazing how little of their wings moths require to fly. I've seen some with practically non-existent wings still putting up a good fight!

Fantastic moth! I believe swallowtail moths are what inspired Venomoth. (The closest relatives we have in my area are the scoopwings.)

Years
I saw a short that interested me about why the silverback gorilla beats his chest. The sound of each individual gorilla's chest tells other gorillas quite a bit about them. It's more than just an intimidation tactic, it's more like their identity card.

Adding a video about orangutans too showcasing why they are so intelligent.

Lavender

Years
Thought I'd show you guys the spider spidops is based on! It's called an ogre faced spider or a net casting spider, it's really unique, I love how it hunts with its homemade net!
960_IMG_1176.jpg

net-casting-spider-PT-gardenguests-612.jpg

Here is spidops for comparison!
918.png

Years
I can see the resemblance! That's pretty neat. I always like discovering that a pokemon is inspired by wildlife I didn't know about.

I have come with something nature-related of my own that I think will give good vibes to anyone who watches. It's one of sweetest moments in the animal kingdom, a romantic one. This is a graceful swan mating dance captured on camera, and performed to an inspiring musical accompaniment!

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
A wild Burmy (Sandy Cloak) appeared!

hNkRzxu.jpg

Appears to be one of the lichen bagworms (genus Dahlica), which may attach plant bits, insect remains, and/or sand to their mobile shelters. Siederia walshella (formerly Dahlica walshella) is another possibility.

More old photos attached: a cosmet moth (Cosmopterix teligera), the eastern red damselfly, the everlasting tebenna, an ichneumonid wasp (Lymeon orbus), the red-necked peanutworm moth, the rice stink bug, a song sparrow's nest of eggs, the double-toothed prominent caterpillar aka "Stegosaurus" (could this be related to Slither Wing?), and a feather-legged fly (Trichopoda plumipes). I believe that's everything I've got now!

Attachments

• Lymeon_orbus.jpg
    Lymeon_orbus.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • trichopoda_plumipes.jpg
    trichopoda_plumipes.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
  • stegosaurus.jpg
    stegosaurus.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
  • song_sparrow_nest.jpg
    song_sparrow_nest.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rice_stink_bug.jpg
    rice_stink_bug.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rednecked_peanutworm_moth.jpg
    rednecked_peanutworm_moth.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • everlasting_tebenna.jpg
    everlasting_tebenna.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
  • eastern_red_damsel.jpg
    eastern_red_damsel.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
  • cosmopterix_teligera.jpg
    cosmopterix_teligera.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Years
As the weather is warming I am excited to see the return of all the bug pokemon icycatelf has spotted on safari. Thank you for taking us on walk through nature. You really bring it to life with your photographs.

Anyone want to welcome spring by celebrating the gorgeous and clever hummingbird?

As a bonus I have a most unique pheasant, the Temmimick Tragopan pheasant, in an impressive mating display!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
That is WILD!

Have you ever seen the Golden Pheasant? Real-life phoenix. *_*

- - -

Found a new mushroom the other day: Chromosera cyanophylla. When young, they have gold caps and pink/lilac gills and stalks. They eventually turn yellow and finally white, apparently. Sometimes the caps may turn pink/lilac. I've been keeping an eye on them for any interesting changes.

I'm also starting to see moths again so hopefully I'll get some new ones before long. In the meantime, I did snap some more pics of the Bluish Spring Moth and Grapevine Epimenis.

Attachments

• chromosera_cyanophylla_a.jpg
    chromosera_cyanophylla_a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
  • chromosera_cyanophylla_b.jpg
    chromosera_cyanophylla_b.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
  • bsm1.png
    bsm1.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 2
  • bsm2.png
    bsm2.png