• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

100 Rare Candies Vs. 100 Hours Training

Years
  • When I played Pokemon Online Battle Simulator, it was like a dream for me to just create a pokemon, slam in some fitting moves and natures, adjust level and choose my desired item. Because I have the original cartridge of pokemon (no r4), I can't just spam rare candies and tms. I need to train my pokemon very hard XD And I can use tm only once T.T Now I feel like I have no chance in competitive battle XD

note: I am not complaining or so, I just wanna hear what you guys think about it.... Well okay maybe i am a little jealous how people with r4 or save files etc can just put in anything they want without much time XD ahah but that's it =) Lets keep it friendly =D

I have SS btw

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I find it better training them legit, Rare Candies just takes the whole fun and point out of the game really because you can just power through the whole game within a couple of hours. I'll use them if I pick them up throughout the game, that's fine but I wouldn't spam 100's just to get my team high levelled, I'd rather go through the process of battling.

Years
  • I find it better training them legit, Rare Candies just takes the whole fun and point out of the game really because you can just power through the whole game within a couple of hours. I'll use them if I pick them up throughout the game, that's fine but I wouldn't spam 100's just to get my team high levelled, I'd rather go through the process of battling.

Yeah but if you play competitive or screw up on a pokemon, you kinda wish to have at least reuse the tm... Happened to me so many times XD but i still train them all legit

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd rather just train my Pokemon than use Rare Candies because as Suicune stated, they take the fun out of training. Plus, you don't get EVs when you Rare Candy up your Pokemon.

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Even though I am probably the most impatient person alive and I've (shamefully) done that in the past (as I own an r4 but it doesn't work on my DSI XL, so I got an Action Replay) just don't do it, it spoils the game, was fun at first, being able to 1HKO the whole Elite 4, but then after about three runs I realised I regretted it a bit and only ever do stuff like that if I'm lazy but still want to play or if a Pokémon is too hard to level up.

So, although 100 hours grinding is something I wouldn't even think about, I'd go with that if it's changed to 10 minutes. n.n I'm through with being a cheater. Or partially through with it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Forget 100 Rare Candies, I AR about 900 in there. I hate raising them through battling. No, it doesn't take away the fun, no it doesn't mean I hate my Pokemon, I'm giving them candy for Pete's sake. I just hate having to do so much work for it. I love my Pokemon, and want them to be the best they can at the fastest pace possible.

Years
  • Even though I am probably the most impatient person alive and I've (shamefully) done that in the past (as I own an r4 but it doesn't work on my DSI XL, so I got an Action Replay) just don't do it, it spoils the game, was fun at first, being able to 1HKO the whole Elite 4, but then after about three runs I realised I regretted it a bit and only ever do stuff like that if I'm lazy but still want to play or if a Pokémon is too hard to level up.

So, although 100 hours grinding is something I wouldn't even think about, I'd go with that if it's changed to 10 minutes. n.n I'm through with being a cheater. Or partially through with it.

Ahaha 100 hour is grinding was just exaggerated although i have 264 hours in soul silver.... I got no life XP hahaha XD

Well when I had an R4 I rarely used cheats, but it was fun at times... And I think it'd be useful in competitive battle but not in the in-game playthrough... You can beat trainers easily IF you train them right =)

Years
  • Yeah but if you play competitive or screw up on a pokemon, you kinda wish to have at least reuse the tm... Happened to me so many times XD but i still train them all legit

Just so you know in 5th gen game Pokemon B/W you can re-use TMs over and over again :p(I know you have SS

And yes ofc in PO I can make anything and try them out as I want
    but when I start to make a pokemon in my Black, its kinda like until you reach the result you want,
    You kinda learn more about it's weaknesses,stats etc etc
    Also in Pokemon B/W they put this new "exp.system" that lower level pokemon gain Bonus exp for beating a higher level pokemon and the opposite
    Even tho they took off the vs.seeker o.O

I Also borrowed from a friends his action replay sto pimped my whole team in PPt after I beat the E4 for the first time, I restarted the game -.-
    I still remember playing for days in Pokemon Red to make lvl100 pokemons
    and beat the E4 again and again and again and whenever a pokemon went up to 100, I was so happy xD

Years
  • Just so you know in 5th gen game Pokemon B/W you can re-use TMs over and over again :p(I know you have SS

And yes ofc in PO I can make anything and try them out as I want
    but when I start to make a pokemon in my Black, its kinda like until you reach the result you want,
    You kinda learn more about it's weaknesses,stats etc etc
    Also in Pokemon B/W they put this new "exp.system" that lower level pokemon gain Bonus exp for beating a higher level pokemon and the opposite
    Even tho they took off the vs.seeker o.O

I Also borrowed from a friends his action replay sto pimped my whole team in PPt after I beat the E4 for the first time, I restarted the game -.-
    I still remember playing for days in Pokemon Red to make lvl100 pokemons
    and beat the E4 again and again and again and whenever a pokemon went up to 100, I was so happy xD

ahah yeah I heard about reusing tm again! It's so awesome!! I must buy it XD I also heard that you can Ev train them even on lvl 100... About the new experience point system, i didn't know that.. sounds interesting =)

I remember training my pikachu to level 100 ahah so proud of myself... but it had a horrible moveset XD it was:

thundershock
    thunderbolt
    thunder
    thunderwave

XD

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • Yeah but if you play competitive or screw up on a pokemon, you kinda wish to have at least reuse the tm... Happened to me so many times XD but i still train them all legit

Is this thread about re-usable TMs or levelling up? o.o;;

Anyhow, using R4/AR can be exciting at first, but it soon gets boring and certainly takes the fun out of the game.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well I've always used Rare Candies whenever I had them because it just makes it easier, I really don't care for the "ethical" side to it like oohh its unnatural blah blah cause that's just silly lol, it's just game data.

Years
  • Well I've always used Rare Candies whenever I had them because it just makes it easier, I really don't care for the "ethical" side to it like oohh its unnatural blah blah cause that's just silly lol, it's just game data.

Yep ofcourse we all use our Rare Candies in our pokemon, but If you have like unlimited amount of them then yes its not a game anymore that you enjoy playing....
    It's like (I'm pressing "A" and "A" again and again and I'll watch TV while still pressing "A"....and goes on)
    Ok it would be ok to do it in 1-2Pokemon maybe but...

Years
  • I hardly ever use rare candies for some reason. Most of the time its because I forget I have them, and then I discover I have like 8 but I already beaten the game so I just waste them. But yeah, training is more rewarding then just using the candies.

Guest123_x1

Back when I was a noobie at the games, I would frequently bump up some of my Pokémon by a few levels using Rare Candies. Since I got better and more advanced at it, I almost entirely dropped use of Rare Candy and brought up my team's levels through battling wild Pokémon over and over (especially when I brought up my team for use in Pokémon Stadium), especially after reading that bringing your Pokémon into battles for leveling up was better for stats than just using Rare Candy.

Years
  • Is this thread about re-usable TMs or levelling up? o.o;;

Anyhow, using R4/AR can be exciting at first, but it soon gets boring and certainly takes the fun out of the game.

ahaha It's about using R4 in general... you know spamming rare candies or tm.. things you can't normally do in the real cartridge

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I rarely raise Pokemon to level 100, so neither option really. The few times I have raised them though, I prefer to train them on my own. That's the fun of the game for me, and it's kinda why I don't like having Pokemon on level 100. Cause once they get there, they're just not as fun to use cause there's no room to grow, you know what I mean? And I don't do competitive, so there's just no reason to have them at that level.

Years
  • Yep ofcourse we all use our Rare Candies in our pokemon, but If you have like unlimited amount of them then yes its not a game anymore that you enjoy playing....
    It's like (I'm pressing "A" and "A" again and again and I'll watch TV while still pressing "A"....and goes on)
    Ok it would be ok to do it in 1-2Pokemon maybe but...

ahaha and again and again XD I think the only efficient way to train them the real way, is to use exp share and lucky eggs ( i wish i had one) it'd be cool if they had some kind of system that rewards the one who train the legit way.

Back when I was a noobie at the games, I would frequently bump up some of my Pokémon by a few levels using Rare Candies. Since I got better and more advanced at it, I almost entirely dropped use of Rare Candy and brought up my team's levels through battling wild Pokémon over and over (especially when I brought up my team for use in Pokémon Stadium), especially after reading that bringing your Pokémon into battles for leveling up was better for stats than just using Rare Candy.

oh yeah i remember pokemon stadium... I trained them all just to level 50 so i can use them in the pokemon cup and Gym battles.. but never more... I had two pokemon games and so whenever I used tms I restarted one game and played all the way up till I got it. The practical thing is that you can speed up the time in pokemon stadium

I rarely raise Pokemon to level 100, so neither option really. The few times I have raised them though, I prefer to train them on my own. That's the fun of the game for me, and it's kinda why I don't like having Pokemon on level 100. Cause once they get there, they're just not as fun to use cause there's no room to grow, you know what I mean? And I don't do competitive, so there's just no reason to have them at that level.

Yeah but nowadays, you just need to train them lvl 50 at least... because there are handicaps now which i think is a very good idea

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I used to hoard my Rare Candies for IV testing purposes. Now that I've gotten my team of six together and bred, I hoard them for... well I don't know the reason xD

I have raised teams all the way to level 100 before. In game teams and "competitive" teams alike. In nearly every game. Yes, it's tedious, but somehow once I'm done I feel like I accomplished something worthwhile by raising them all the way to the top.

With that said, I'm not going to turn down the offer of 100 Rare Candies. I'm pretty much okay with raising them either way, actually. Rare Candy if I need to get them up quickly; raising them as normal if I can afford to take my time with the whole process.

Years
  • I used to hoard my Rare Candies for IV testing purposes. Now that I've gotten my team of six together and bred, I hoard them for... well I don't know the reason xD

I have raised teams all the way to level 100 before. In game teams and "competitive" teams alike. In nearly every game. Yes, it's tedious, but somehow once I'm done I feel like I accomplished something worthwhile by raising them all the way to the top.

With that said, I'm not going to turn down the offer of 100 Rare Candies. I'm pretty much okay with raising them either way, actually. Rare Candy if I need to get them up quickly; raising them as normal if I can afford to take my time with the whole process.

ahah it'd be really cool if you could get your pokemon somehow out of the game... so you can be really proud of what you raised... well maybe in 50 years XD

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    Training. Training makes a good Pokemon with good stats. I only use Rare Candy to level up Pokemon I need for my Pokedex. I trained my Blastoise to Lv.100 by battling and now all of his stats above 200. Get another to Lv.100 with Rare Candy and the stats will be worse.

Back