• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

13 Hangs Himself Over A Nintedo Wii

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Exactly, that's why I suggested some kind of mental retardation or something to trigger this much amount of aggression, and tragically death.

'Mental retardation' was not at all what I was referring to. That's just offensive, ignorant crap. You don't have to be retarded to be driven to suicide. :\

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    'Mental retardation' was not at all what I was referring to. That's just offensive, ignorant crap. You don't have to be retarded to be driven to suicide. :\

Offensive? Hardly. Did you know there are many levels of mental retardation, from simple Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, to anxiety disorders, they all fall into the realm of mental health issues. Retardation is a broad aspect but has many traits such as;

• Have trouble speaking.
    • Find it hard to remember things.
    • Have trouble understanding social rules.
    • Have trouble discerning cause and effect.
    • Have trouble solving problems.
    • Have trouble thinking logically.
    • Persistence of infantile behavior.

All can lead to serious issues mentally or depression etc. in which is the leading factor of suicide. So next time, try and be a little more open minded?

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Everyone these days need sympathy. We all undergo lots and lots of stress everyday. Suicides aren't as rare as they are in the past

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Tragic, simply tragic. It's really all I can say. The sister must be feeling pretty guilty. But to be completely honest, why would he do that? He could have just hooked up the Wii later, right?

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    I don't believe that there was anything wrong the boy. His mind probably became so boggled over his Wii that he couldn't think straight and did this to himself over something so trivial. The episode of Casualty could have influenced him (it did include something about a young person that had hung themselves).

This article says that he was described as a "'sensitive boy with a fantastic imagination' who enjoyed writing stories and poems, one of which had been published." He also enjoyed submitting his poems in contests. It also mentions that he has always had a bad temper and threw tantrums before when he was younger. Maybe as he became older this temper progressed and lead him to his fate. Either way, this is rather depressing to hear.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    Tragic, simply tragic. It's really all I can say. The sister must be feeling pretty guilty.

No doubt she would, even though I'd encourage her to not feel so much so. It was never her fault, that he took it to far.

But to be completely honest, why would he do that? He could have just hooked up the Wii later, right?

You're right, he could have, which could have prevented his whole death, but he acted on impulses.

Gunn said:
    I don't believe that there was anything wrong the boy. His mind probably became so boggled over his Wii that he couldn't think straight and did this to himself over something so trivial.

And you'd class this as normal behavior?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    No I never mentioned that at all. And if it seemed like it was implied, I didn't mean to.

Sorry. I wasn't implying you meant that, but simply was asking if you thought so? Because in my opinion this is abnormal for a child, there are some underlining issues here.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Eh, maybe I'm forgetting about his age here then. I mean, kids do a lot of things and I guess what most of us think is "abnormal" for a child depends on severity of their doings--in this case, suicide. It just doesn't happen to be convincing enough to lead me to believe he was retarded, well, and knowing other things about him too.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    Eh, maybe I'm forgetting about his age here then. I mean, kids do a lot of things and I guess what most of us think is "abnormal" for a child depends on severity of their doings--in this case, suicide. It just doesn't happen to be convincing enough to lead me to believe he was retarded, well, and knowing other things about him too.

True, but as I stated before there are levels of retardation, as that is a word that a large variety of illness's could fall under. I guess with each generation of new youths, they are going to be influenced by the latest technology and soon become quite reliant upon it. Not like we already are. XD

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Yeeeaaaah, you're right, but its not like someone who forgets where they placed there car keys all the time is retarded (using one of your examples above). :B Well, maybe we just happen to be moving along so fast that we can't adapt quickly enough to these high-tech-whatchamacallit-gizmos.

Tenbinza

Master of the Mighty Harisen!
    Years
    well; lets face it, people are IDIOTS these days ==

You wanna hang yourself over a bloody Wii, well, your fault, you buy your kid a Wii and he hangs himself over the Wii, you should have known it was coming. If your kid is that obsessed with video games... then why are you buying him a WHOLE CONSOLE?

Well, it could happen if were any other console. Besides, the kid might have had mental problems (or not). Getting worked up over a death because of a "Family friendly" console and calling someone stupid because parents don't have the knowledge to know that any incident involving not being able to play said console could lead to suicide is insensitive to both the family of the victim and anyone who gives sympathy to said family. Anyone who says if either the parents or the child were stupid really need a reality check.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    This is tragic, don't get me wrong. But any kid who hangs himself because his sister is occupying the television was bound to kill himself sooner or later -_-;;

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Offensive? Hardly. Did you know their is many levels of mental retardation, from simple Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, to anxiety disorders, they all fall into the realm of mental health issues. Retardation is a broad aspect but has many traits such as;

• Have trouble speaking
    • Find it hard to remember things
    • Have trouble understanding social rules
    • Have trouble discerning cause and effect
    • Have trouble solving problems
    • Have trouble thinking logically.
    • Persistence of infantile behavior.

All can lead to serious issues mentally or depression etc. in which is the leading factor of suicide. So next time, try and be a little more open minded.

Except... I know all this?

Because I have a learning disability?

But I certainly wouldn't call mental health issues mental retardation. It implies people with psychological issues are developmentally behind in some way, which isn't necessarily true at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Except... I know all this?

Because I have a learning disability?

But I certainly wouldn't call mental health issues mental retardation. It implies people with psychological issues are developmentally behind in some way, which isn't necessarily true at all.
    Yeah that get's my ire, too :\
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
    –verb (used without object)
    2. to be delayed.

Well sorry. There's nothing slowed, halted or delayed in the progress of my mental well-being; despite the fact I'm diagnosed

• Borderline Personality Disorder
    • Narcissistic Personality Disorder
    • ADHD/ODD
    • Gender Identity Disorder / Dysphoria
    • Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    And generally disassociative, to boot. This doesn't make me 'retarded'; it doesn't imply my brain has a 'delayed development' or is somehow behind the eight ball, and it doesn't mean I'm any sort of idiot or lesser person than anyone else. For Gavin to presume to call me a 'mental retard' is both shallow, misinformed and generally moronic.

As for this kid, it's tragic that he died; but the media really has sensationalized this one far worse than usual. Reminds me of the kid in the UK who got killed, and they blamed Manhunt..even though it was the kid who got killed that owned the game, not the kid who killed him..go figure.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    Except... I know all this? Because I have a learning disability? But I certainly wouldn't call mental health issues mental retardation. It implies people with psychological issues are developmentally behind in some way, which isn't necessarily true at all.

Why is it that whenever people mention a word such as 'retard', they assume the worst of it? Mental illnesses are medical conditions that disrupt a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others, and daily functioning etc.

Now wouldn't it be possible that you could characterize these traits into forms of sub-average intellectual functioning? In which basically is retardation at it's lowest. Bear in mind that I'm not at all talking about mental retardation that appears physically, but simply lacking abilities to socialize properly or abnormal character disorders. Wouldn't you classify this as the mind lacking in these parts of the brain? Similar to that of retardation?

Sawaa said:
    And generally disassociative, to boot. This doesn't make me 'retarded'; it doesn't imply my brain has a 'delayed development' or is somehow behind the eight ball, and it doesn't mean I'm any sort of idiot or lesser person than anyone else. For Gavin to presume to call me a 'mental retard' is both shallow, misinformed and generally moronic.

For you to infer such a statement is quite uncivilized. Yes I used that word, but in no means to offend, and certainly I'm not degrading you in anyway of using that word? Why should you see it as a shallow statement? I have a lung disability, known as Cystic Fibrosis, yet my lungs are not "let back", but it's been known to be labeled as retardation of the lungs, or for diabetics, retardation of the pancreas? So the severity of the word has been overlooked. Once again sorry if I caused you any inconveniences?

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
    I just finished reading through all the posts in this thread; and I have to say that I agree with Gavin. 13 year olds do have some amount of sense, and it's definitely abnormal for a child of that age to hang himself just because he wasn't allowed to use his Wii when he wanted to. I'm 14 now, and my birthday was May 20th. Heck, I'd been managing a whole game project when I was 13; which is less than a month ago. And I definitely know that I can think straight.
    There are a lot of 13 year old friends I have. And none of them behave like this. You can't blame it on his age. I could understand if the kid was 7 or 8, but I think that he, being 13, should've been fairly mature enough to know that he could plug in his Wii later. That leaves us with two factors for him committing suicide or "accidentally killing himself" which I don't see as possible; seeing the method used and what happened before the event occured:
    a) The kid had family/school/life issues and vented it out because of a trivial matter.
    b) He had some sort of a mental disease.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Not to be mean, but there's a very strong chance that he might have had a mental problem? o_o; Maybe he had a hard life, and the Wii was all he had, so when he saw his sister watching TV.. "Life just isn't fair!" And decided that if he couldn't have much at all in life he didn't want anything to do with it? o.o

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    A hell of a way to die, if you ask me. But we really don't know enough (no realy article) to make sarcastic or "zomg i thnk im funni!!11!" comments. The kid could have been depressed for a while and that was the last straw. I guess we'll never know since the poor kid is dead. D':

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    i didnt think a tie would be strong enough to hold body weight these days

I was thinking the same thing. For something like this to work, he must have known what he was doing, so I doubt it was an accident. This is a tragedy but I'd probably feel more sorry for the family if there is a good reason behind the death. Parents need to keep a closer eye on their kids.

Back