• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] 14 year PC veteran says hi

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    hello :3

i've been on pc for far too long !! and inactive for way too much of that time!!

ive also made a silly amount of comeback posts but im making this post cause, as always, talking to people in VMs or PMs gives me motivation to be here!! atm i'm playing pokemon violet ranked online a bunch, pokemon go constantly (the weather is getting nice so it's a great excuse to get out!! and pikmin bloom hehe) as well as unite every now and then. if anyone wants to add me on switch for unite, s/v, or particularly if anyone wants to add me on go!! (i need friends for so much research ;w;) then please do so!!

anyone can drop me a message or reply to this thread and say hey :>

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Congrats on the name change!

yay!! that was nice to wake up to find haha, thanks for the well wishes :3

Hello & Welcome Back!

What was your team in Violet?

thank you!! always nice to be around here. as for my violet team...

the final one was something like uhh....checks notes

Skeledirge as my starter
    a shiny Glimmora i found in area zero right before the end of the game!!
    Tatsugiri
    Tinkaton
    Kingambit
    Scovillain

at least, these are all the ones with the champion ribbon! since i found s/v's story to generally be extremely easy i didn't really put much effort into a super balanced team, instead just using as many new pokes that i loved as i could - and imo there were some real treats this time around! if there's one thing i really do think pokemon has been nailing lately it's new mons, i think galar had the most consistent crop of new pokemon since gen 4 and paldea has made a great effort too. i'm a sucker for awesome cross-gen evos like kingambit!

Years
  • thank you!! always nice to be around here. as for my violet team...

the final one was something like uhh....checks notes

Skeledirge as my starter
    a shiny Glimmora i found in area zero right before the end of the game!!
    Tatsugiri
    Tinkaton
    Kingambit
    Scovillain

at least, these are all the ones with the champion ribbon! since i found s/v's story to generally be extremely easy i didn't really put much effort into a super balanced team, instead just using as many new pokes that i loved as i could - and imo there were some real treats this time around! if there's one thing i really do think pokemon has been nailing lately it's new mons, i think galar had the most consistent crop of new pokemon since gen 4 and paldea has made a great effort too. i'm a sucker for awesome cross-gen evos like kingambit!

Ah Kingambit... I wanted to use one too, but for a first playthrough in a new region I always avoid type overlap and I already had Meowscarada as my Dark type.
    I intend to put Kingambit and Annihilape on my team on a new playthrough whenever I get Scarlet.
    My own team was Meowscarada, Grafaiai, Flamigo, Espathra, Cetitan and Ceruledge. Grafaiai was underwhelming, but the others all performed well during the playthrough. Kept him around anyway though as I just like the mon and it could still eliminate Fairy types for me =3

Did you beat the gyms/titans/team star bases in their 'recommended' order or did you just set off from Mesagoza and whatever you bump into gets challenged? =P
    Personally I just set out in the Eastern direction and just kept going till I was near the mountain and then did the same on the other side xD

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Ah Kingambit... I wanted to use one too, but for a first playthrough in a new region I always avoid type overlap and I already had Meowscarada as my Dark type.

i used to tend to try to avoid type overlap but since the games have gotten so much easier i've been tending towards just using whatever i want with as much focus on new stuff as possible! kingambit has ended up being a pokemon i trained to 100 + hyper training too, so i'm using it online a little since i just LOVE the chess theming on the bisharp line and am absolutely overjoyed to see it get a cross-gen badass samurai evo (with a cool unique ability too!!)

I intend to put Kingambit and Annihilape on my team on a new playthrough whenever I get Scarlet.
    My own team was Meowscarada, Grafaiai, Flamigo, Espathra, Cetitan and Ceruledge. Grafaiai was underwhelming, but the others all performed well during the playthrough. Kept him around anyway though as I just like the mon and it could still eliminate Fairy types for me =3

i think i was gonna use grafaiai but dropped him cause he was underwhelming lmao, so that definitely tracks!

Did you beat the gyms/titans/team star bases in their 'recommended' order or did you just set off from Mesagoza and whatever you bump into gets challenged? =P

i figured i'd take TPC at their word that this game was truly able to be played in any order, and just set out in a direction basically (though i don't remember exactly where I went). my playthrough went something like:

fight the first gym i encountered, normal first gym experience
    find a second gym, actually a little hard (maybe 5 levels above me)
    find a third gym, about 8 - 10 levels above me and lose a few times
    at this point i start to think OMG no way, not only can you go anywhere it's also actually a hard game! this is awesome!!
    i then immediately proceeded to the fourth gym which is a good 15 levels below me and realise the "go any direction" thing was actually an utter lie. probably the single most disappointing aspect of s/v for me, even worse than the performance and bugs. it wouldn't really have been that hard for them to come up with a levelling algorithm, or even just a few permutations of gym teams to fit your levels a little better rather than them all having static levels. but i suppose that's on me for daring to treat this game like it was open world - i should have known better!

Years
  • i figured i'd take TPC at their word that this game was truly able to be played in any order, and just set out in a direction basically (though i don't remember exactly where I went). my playthrough went something like:

fight the first gym i encountered, normal first gym experience
    find a second gym, actually a little hard (maybe 5 levels above me)
    find a third gym, about 8 - 10 levels above me and lose a few times
    at this point i start to think OMG no way, not only can you go anywhere it's also actually a hard game! this is awesome!!
    i then immediately proceeded to the fourth gym which is a good 15 levels below me and realise the "go any direction" thing was actually an utter lie. probably the single most disappointing aspect of s/v for me, even worse than the performance and bugs. it wouldn't really have been that hard for them to come up with a levelling algorithm, or even just a few permutations of gym teams to fit your levels a little better rather than them all having static levels. but i suppose that's on me for daring to treat this game like it was open world - i should have known better!

The gyms/titans/etc. not scaling to level was indeed disappointing. I ended up rolling into what was apparently the very first gym, the bug one, with a team that was around level 40 iirc.
    My main attraction to the franchise has always been the mons themselves though and there has yet to be a generation that didn't bring any new mons I liked to the table at all.

Speaking of 'new' mons, did you like any of the Paradox Pokemon?
    What about those 'Convergent evolution' Pokemon? aka regional forms, but now they're standalone dex entries

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    The gyms/titans/etc. not scaling to level was indeed disappointing. I ended up rolling into what was apparently the very first gym, the bug one, with a team that was around level 40 iirc.

yeah pretty much my experience too, so underwhelming when i'm sure there are already fangames and romhacks with dynamic scaling but maybe they'll catch up eventually, hell they're this late to the open world party.

My main attraction to the franchise has always been the mons themselves though and there has yet to be a
    generation that didn't bring any new mons I liked to the table at all.

hard agree!! i hate the sentiment some people have that they're "running out of ideas" or that the designs have gotten worse over time. in terms of pokemon i like, on the whole the newer generations have a much higher proportion of designs i love! as i said, gen 8 was my favourite crop in a good while, i don't think there's a mon i don't at least partially like in there, and i love so many of them. gen 4 is a close second, and then i think the immediate nexts would be 5, 6, 7, and 9 in some order - so the recent gens are definitely knocking it out of the part in that department for me!

Speaking of 'new' mons, did you like any of the Paradox Pokemon?

the paradox mons are a bit weird, i do like the "new variations on older mons" thing they keep doing, but i think maybe having this many could be overdoing it a bit. however, i like basically all of the paradox pokemon strictly on design aided by the fact that they are all choosing quite cool mon designs to start with! i think on the whole i prefer the future ones rather than the ancient ones but that might just be bias from playing violet. i love iron valiant specifically.

What about those 'Convergent evolution' Pokemon? aka regional forms, but now they're standalone dex entries
    it's pretty like, nothingy the actual in-game difference between convergent evolution and regional forms.. i guess it's to pad the dex? but i don't mind them, and i actually kind of like the lore technicality of a difference, being that convergent evolution happened simultaneously as opposed to following a mass migration or introduction of pokemon to an area (as adaptation through natural selection)
    wiglett is pretty dumb but i like toedscruel or whatever. i guess we'll just have to see where they go with it since there's so few yet.

Years
  • hello :3

i've been on pc for far too long !! and inactive for way too much of that time!!

ive also made a silly amount of comeback posts but im making this post cause, as always, talking to people in VMs or PMs gives me motivation to be here!! atm i'm playing pokemon violet ranked online a bunch, pokemon go constantly (the weather is getting nice so it's a great excuse to get out!! and pikmin bloom hehe) as well as unite every now and then. if anyone wants to add me on switch for unite, s/v, or particularly if anyone wants to add me on go!! (i need friends for so much research ;w;) then please do so!!

anyone can drop me a message or reply to this thread and say hey :>

Hello Starlightartist, and welcome back to the forums!
    Skeledirge sure rocks! Is the Fire type your favourite ? It is for me! ^^
    Good luck finding new friends to play with on Scarlet / Violet!

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Hello Starlightartist, and welcome back to the forums!
    Skeledirge sure rocks! Is the Fire type your favourite ? It is for me! ^^
    Good luck finding new friends to play with on Scarlet / Violet!

thanks so much! im already enjoying being back :3

i don't know if i really have a favourite type, when i was a kid i remember ice & dragon were my 2 faves (and i distinctly recall being let down when we finally got that dual-type but it was kyurem so i couldn't use it in the story!)

fire definitely has a lot of cool mons though, and out of the starters this time skeledirge is for sure my favourite final evo. meowscarada is okay i guess, kinda just underwhelming to me. quequaval has a cool design but i was SO convinced quaxly was wearing a beret and was gonna be a pirate duck who evolved to be on a boat or something really awesome that the direction in the end REALLY let me down. i rarely choose a fire starter but skeledirge really nailed it for me, not to mention the signature move being literally unfairly good.

Years
  • thanks so much! im already enjoying being back :3

i don't know if i really have a favourite type, when i was a kid i remember ice & dragon were my 2 faves (and i distinctly recall being let down when we finally got that dual-type but it was kyurem so i couldn't use it in the story!)

fire definitely has a lot of cool mons though, and out of the starters this time skeledirge is for sure my favourite final evo. meowscarada is okay i guess, kinda just underwhelming to me. quequaval has a cool design but i was SO convinced quaxly was wearing a beret and was gonna be a pirate duck who evolved to be on a boat or something really awesome that the direction in the end REALLY let me down. i rarely choose a fire starter but skeledirge really nailed it for me, not to mention the signature move being literally unfairly good.

If I played Scarlet / Violet, I certainly would pick Skeledirge. I have always been attracted by the reptilian looking starters, dragons, snakes, lizards, ... Sadly, Feraligatr is not so good in special attack, and with practically all Water moves being Special... Serperior, though, with with its defense and speed, Leaf Storm and the Contrary Ability...
    What about you ? Is the way pokémon look one of your main criterias to pick them ?

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    If I played Scarlet / Violet, I certainly would pick Skeledirge. I have always been attracted by the reptilian looking starters, dragons, snakes, lizards, ... Sadly, Feraligatr is not so good in special attack, and with practically all Water moves being Special... Serperior, though, with with its defense and speed, Leaf Storm and the Contrary Ability...

i love serperior! i really hope one of the DLCs will bring him back to s/v because i have a shiny one from GO i'd like to be able to use! contrary and leaf storm is a lot of fun :)
    What about you ? Is the way pokémon look one of your main criterias to pick them ?
    the way pokémon look is one of my main factors in how much i like them! strong mons with stupid designs are rarely something i really like, and i get annoyed when mons with designs i love aren't viable or cause too much type overlap or something!

Back