• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Generation

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Syd why did I visit this thread? It makes me sad. /quotes people

I started off with Generation 2, first playing Gold. Then I got Crystal, then R/B/Y, and went on from there.

I want to play B/W cause I think it'll be the best. Though atm favourite though is Generation 2.

In order of likeness: Gen III > Gen I > Gen II > Gen IV > Gen V

Gen 5 last? Whaaat! I hope that's only because you haven't played it.

have no desire to touch gen5. new pokemon look horrible. and 3 legendary trios!? wtf!

There's still a lot more in B/W, like the storyline which seems to be much more advanced from other games, and from what I've seen in screenshots from the scenery so far, it looks amazing.

IN terms of likeness, Gen III > Gen I > Gen V > Gen II

Gen V doesn't deserve to be second last. D:

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • Re: First Generation

I remember my first Pokemon experience, it was 1998. Pokemon was on television and I loved it. Then, I saw Pokemon Red and Blue in a shop and I was like "OMG! Game Boy games of Pokemon!" Because I didn't know the games had come first, I was 7 afterall. Then, I told my mum I really wanted Pokemon on Game Boy, and my sister found out and she really wanted it too. Then my parents kept saying no until we gave up. Then one day, my Dad came home from work and told us to go to the car as we were going to our Gran's, and there lay Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue (with free link cable). We only had one Game Boy to play them on. So arguments happened alot, and she only got to like Vermilion City before giving up. I went on however, and completed my Pokedex in 2002 (including Mew via live event in London).

Pokemon Red was only the game I ever completed the Pokedex in. I've been trying to do the same for SoulSilver, but the determination isn't there. The first generation was my first generation, and I can't play Diamond, Pearl or Platinum, I just have no interest lol.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Forever, I've gotta agree with you on all the anti-anti-Gen V points...how can you say it's rubbish before you've even played it?
    And don't say "I've played the Japanese version" because that doesn't count - Everything's much more enjoyable in your own language.

Sorry that it made you sad :(
    I definitely didn't intend this thread to turn into Gen V bashing, I was simply determining whether or not people loved their first generation or not, and finding out what it was.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • gen 1 pokemon red. i used to have my original save file still on there but last year i decided to erase it to replay it.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Gen 1 with Red, too. I had about 140 Pokémon in the Pokédex but then G&S came out and I stopped playing it. Never been that close to completing the Pokédex as that.

My favorite is Gen 4, though, especially Platinum. So far it had the nicest story and best new Pokémon.

Garde

Fallen Angel
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    I started with Blue, and Yellow from the first gen. That really got me into Pokemon and I've played every gen the day it's come out since. But I have to say Gen I is my least favorite- I was really young when I played it so even though I enjoyed it, 2nd has more nostaliga for me. And 2nd and 3rd were my favorite, and if counting 5th gen, that as well. They're just great in my opinion- more memorable and fun.

andrvitor

Pok�mon Black!!!AIradeAsh
    Years
    • Age 43
    • Seen Aug 22, 2018
    yellow was my first contact with the games, and i want to know there this are finally

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
  • Oh mine was Gen III- Emerald! A bunch of my neighbours at the time were obsessed with Pokemon games and I loved watching them [I had collected the cards when the first Gen came out but never played the games; I was pretty young] so I wanted my own game. My dad took me to Gamestop and I got a used Emerald game that already had an Altaria in the party (and 5 others that didn't catch my eye) and so to this day I still adore Altaria because it looks sweet. But anyway, I played the game until I got to the part with Wallace in Sootopolis City when Kyogre and Groundon are fighting, and where you're supposed to go find Rayquaza. Well when I talked to Wallace, he said I had to go whatever-Tower where Rayquaza was at, and I didn't know how to get to this tower, so I googled like "Pokemon whatever-Tower." Walkthroughs for Ruby and Sapphire came up and I read that you couldn't get to that tower until after the Elite Four or something. But I didn't realize this was only for R/S. So, since I couldn't beat the eight gym without catching Rayquaza, and I couldn't catch Rayquaza without beating the eight gym (allegedly) I put the game down and went out and bought Fire Red. But Emerald was still the most special because it introduced me to the Pokemon games and it's probably one of the only games where I didn't know what was supposed to happen and especially which Pokemon were in what areas and evolved into what. Boy was I excited when I found a Lotad in the beginning of the game, simply because it wasn't anywhere in the first route but then popped up in the second. Those were the days, and this is why I adore the third Gen.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    Generation 1, good old Blue version on Christmas day, got it the same minute I got my first GB. Ended up spending the rest of the day playing it, didn't even pay attention to unwrapping the rest of my gifts. Even played it at night on the ride home, using the headlights of other cars as my "night light" so I could keep playing. Good times, good times.

I liked B/W, but the first 2 Generations still stand as the best in my opinion. It's probably biased because those were the ones I grew up on, I mean memories of playing B/W on work breaks and in between classes aren't as memorable as holding a flashlight under my covers so I could teach Blue who's #1; but hey it is what it is. Generation 5 has a lot to offer, and I thought it did better than Gen 4 and 3, and I'm sure if i was just getting into the games it'd be at the top of my list; but it's a lot harder to change your tastes than to develop a new one.

I can't say I've exactly hated any of the generations... I know most of my friends hated gen 3, but to be honest I really liked it it introduced quite a few things that I really enjoyed and gave me some of my favorite Pokemon. Gen 4 would probably be my least liked Generation just because the game seemed very bland and drab at a lot of points, as well as the new Pokemon not being very interesting for the most part. In the end though I still played D/P/Pt for a good long time with friends so it wasn't like I hated the gen.
    And all the legendary arguments my friend's throw at me about the later generations don't really affect me since what is a "Legendary" Pokemon anyway? If you think about it, we all play Pokemon, so 4+ Red Versions means there's 4 Articuno's up for grab. There's a same chance of seeing an Articuno on my friend's team as there is on mine. I don't use legendaries very often anyway unless I like them, same as common Pokemon; so the label doesn't seem like something to get worked up over.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Syd why did I visit this thread? It makes me sad. /quotes people

I started off with Generation 2, first playing Gold. Then I got Crystal, then R/B/Y, and went on from there.

I want to play B/W cause I think it'll be the best. Though atm favourite though is Generation 2.

Gen 5 last? Whaaat! I hope that's only because you haven't played it.

There's still a lot more in B/W, like the storyline which seems to be much more advanced from other games, and from what I've seen in screenshots from the scenery so far, it looks amazing.

Your opinion might be slightly biased, though, considering you're the Moderator of the B&W board. And if you haven't played it yet you can't really say that it doesn't deserve to be second to last, either. I highly doubt Gen V is going to be better than Gen I, II and III were when I first played them, so therefore it will be at least second to last for me. It's all about personal opinion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    My first game was Silver, and I played it a lot and loved it. But my favorite gen would be Gen III, specifically R/S/E. Ruby was the first game I ever beat, and I just love the feel and the look and the region. The new Pokemon weren't that bad either

Gl!tch

AFK
    Years
  • Generation I. God, I remember being 12 years old and saving up enough money to buy it. Bought Red before I knew what I was doing, and the second I saw blastoise, all I wanted was Blue, haha. Missingno. was the best!

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • Syd why did I visit this thread? It makes me sad. /quotes people

Actually its third to last.

And don't say "I've played the Japanese version" because that doesn't count - Everything's much more enjoyable in your own language.

I also played the pokemon black ROM translated to english, so... That has nothing to do with anything...

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • My first generation is Generation I.
    Both Red and Blue, I played them simulataneously, like a boss, trying to fill up that PokeDex.
    Then Yellow came along and I started that up to and promptly realised, my life as I knew it, no longer existed.
    I was addicted.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • My first Generation was Generation 1 and Yellow Version. One of my friends showed it to me at his house and wanted me to try it. I protested at first, due to me going through my 'anything Japanese is stupid' phase....

Once I started playing it, though, I was hooked. Heck, if it were not for Pokemon, I probably never would have noticed the realm of video gaming outside of Mario games.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my list of games would be.....
    5.Gen. 1(Glitchy and bland)
    4.Gen. 3(Mostly because of R/S/E)
    3.Gen. 2(Still rather fun and nostalgic)
    2.Gen. 4(Brings back nostalgia with better graphics/more additions, not to mention how awesome Sinnoh is)
    1.Gen. 5(Meh. Everyhing I ever wanted in Pokemon. Most new Pokemon are bad though. New York FTW!)

Last edited:

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • My first generation was good old Gen I. I started with Blue, and played through the others more or less in the order they were released.
    However, my favorite generation is Gen II, just because it's much less buggy and seems much better planned than Gen I, as well as having more playtime. I'm sure some of that is nostalgia though.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Generation 1 -Pokemon Red Version

This was the game that started it all for me. I've been a fan of Pokemon since I first got Red Version 13 years ago. Charmander used to be my favorite Starter and Charizard used to be my favorite Pokemon, it still kind of is, but now its tied with Feraligatr xD Generation 1 was great for its time, it was hard enough to where you couldn't just breeze through it, confusing enough(for me anyways)so that I didn't always know what to do. Of course the game got a lot easier once I found out about using the Mew Glitch to catch all the Pokemon or get unlimited Rare Candies/Masterballs, lol. I still have my original Red Version and a Gameboy Color. I love Pokemon Red to this day for its nostalgia, and the fact that there are only 150 Pokemon!

Back