• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#20 The End Of Days

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Question Of The Day #20: If Pokemon was cancelled, do you think PC could survive?

I think it's fairly obvious to point out that Pokemon has a very strong following and such a rich culture behind it. It has survived quite a long tenure, as since its origination and founding in 1996 has created games, anime, manga, trading cards, collector items, etc. related to the franchise; with each new installment in the series, it seems like things won't be ending any time soon for this beloved Nintendo franchise. However, let's dabble in the hypothetical and ponder on the idea that Pokemon, after a strong run of 18 years, will now be cancelled. At the end of the year the company will shut down, meaning there will be no more further installments. As this is ultimately a Pokemon site, do you think that PokeCommunity could survive such an ordeal, or do you think that PC has enough diversity to still stand as a site? Do you think it should ultimately reshape it's image and be renamed something else, or should it still stand as PokeCommunity? Would you still come to the site if such an occurrence happened? How do you think the site's culture would change after such an event?

Feel free to discuss all entities to this topic down below.

Last edited:

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I honestly think PC could with stand. Even if say Pokemon Alpha & Omega were the last games to ever come out. Speaking from my point of view people would still progressively play them for 1-2 years at least. Upon completing everything the game has to offer and discussing about it all on that said forums section. PC wouldn't even be close to ending. For instance we still have forum sections where people talk about the Pokemon generations from Red and Blue. So even if Pokemon died out tomorrow discussion on games and Pokemon in general even without new content could go on for years. Even without Pokemon we have other things in our community that could/would keep us afloat.

I don't think PC would have to reshape or rename.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The ROM Hacking community is what would keep it alive, really. But I think maybe a decade after it ended PC would be done as well; at that point the people who grew up with it are old enough to move on and they're not bringing in many new fans.

Years
  • I'd still try and stick around, but maybe I won't be as active as I am right now. Pokemon tends to influence around a little over a third of my posts here. But as Oryx said PC's most popular board is ROM Hacking so that'll likely be what keeps the forums alive even if Pokemon were to die out.

Years
  • Let me have my take on the matter.

While it would be hard to think of conspiracies and speculations, people still like to make topics in the Pokémon Gaming forums, about things from previous generations and the new ones too. And there's still Pokémon Clubs, Trivia and other forums like that. But at the same time, it probably wouldn't last too many years into the future, so I think it won't be the end right away but it would be pretty inevitable.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If PC were still to exist after the franchise gets cancelled, I could imagine this place to itself turn into a general creativity and entertainment community at some point.

There are many people out here who are not exactly interested in Pokémon anymore but are around only because they're a fan of this board (personally, I'd say I'm located somewhere midway), and as long as they're still here and keep themselves up to having the same dedication and whatnot, I'm positive that this forum won't be required to face much consequence, if at all.

Would I like PC to continue its existence? Yes, of course. Lots of members have memories here--whether they be good or not-so-good--and while it's not always possible to cling to something forever, I still believe that it'd be nice if we were all given some chance to keep it lasting longer. Few might disagree, though, and that's perfectly understandable.

Auraluxe

↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠
    Years
  • My opinion is pretty much the same as everyone's here. If The Pokemon Company were shut down, PC wouldn't immediately die. There's so much here to offer already, and romhacking would keep the place open for quite some time. However, do I think PC will last forever? Probably not. Everything ends at some point. But I do hope PC lasts for years and years to come. c:

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • The forum would definitely still thrive even after the franchise came to a close, if it ever did. As many users above mentioned, there's still demand for our ROM hacking section, and the forums for the metal and color (older) generations sill have die hard fans and are still buzzing with activity, not to mention the fact that members are bound to have made friends here, and that would probably be the biggest reason why majority if the existing community would continue to be active. For some people it's not just about Pokemon, it's about the atmosphere and social aspect that works independently of the franchise.

What I think will happen though, is the fact that fewer new members will bother registering. I mean, from the perspective of a potential member - the franchise is dead, I don't have any friends here to warrant enough reason for me to register / stay, so why bother? Eventually the users that will become inactive will be replaced by newer members at a slower rate, and eventually the forums will die down for good. But that would take a long time, if ever.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I get sad even thinking about PC dying ;;

Back