• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2009 Influenza A (H1N1) Outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
    Scary stuff. I better move to Madagascar before they close their ports...
    I remember watching stuff like this on TV when I was younger, scarred me sleepless for like a month.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    Oh, joy.
    I live in South-Central Texas.

Today is prom day for my high school and the district said that nobody could take guests from a certain other high school because one of their students got the swine flu.

I'm a little nervous, seeing as how that high school is 38 minutes away from my house...

Nemaru

nah
    Years
    I hope this doesn't end up like that movie "Outbreak".

We get rid of it, it comes back in a few years and wipes out a chunk of the population, sends the country into an insane pandemic, and we all would perish. We would have survived if it was exactly like Outbreak, but since there's no host, there's not anitbodies for it, hence why we will all die. Sounds like fun, no? =)
    If it looks like a pandemic is on the horizon this is what we do: The rich kids should buy out the grocery stores and barricade them. Connect the grocery store to the hospital and barricade that too, then everyone who's not infected go inside and we would all live happily ever after. But first you need to rob Gamestop, EB Games, Office Depot, Best Buy and Matress King so we don't die of boredom and have a place to sleep. Have your minions take over the electric company stations so we will have electricity and running water. Then we need to go to Home Depot and buy a crapload of exercising things so we stay in shape, yardsticks to discipline people, and silverware. And some bathroom/kitchen appliances. Then we would survive. Maybe. Kind of. Kthxbye.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
    There've been reports that people in Scotland have come back from Mexico with flu-like symptoms, but no confirmations of it being Swine Flu.

Apparently, the UK and France are the best countries in terms of being prepared for things like this though. o_o;

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Oh my God. It's the Stand all over again.

Considering the overall health of the people of Mexico, I feel that this won't be nearly as dangerous as other diseases that we've seen. However, I think that if we put our guard down it could become a huge problem.

Now they've got a report of it in Ohio... shows you how planes can spread disease...

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    10 people have tested positive in New Zealand for Swine Flu after coming back from a trip in Mexico City. who the hell goes to mexico city for a class trip?!

I'm not exactly worried ( due to me being 500k at least away from them), but it's bit..unnerving.

Years
    Who the hell goes to mexico city for a class trip?!
    Anyone who's aware that it's an excellent one, having lots of historical sites and being a prime example of the folklore of our country.

I agree with the person who said this is a media exaggeration. Yes, stuff was suspended in the capital, but only because it *could* become worse like any other easily contagious disease if measures aren't taken.

The numbers aren't overly alarming yet. Of course the few deaths are regretted, but take into account the majority of them were very young or very old people, and about the half were isolated cases in a few different states where there hasn't been a significant spread reported.

People, don't be so paranoid. It's incredible that people outside of Mexico are the ones who show the most exaggerated concern about it. Here people are being significantly more calm, maybe because we actually know what's going on, as opposed to a great amount of foreign/internet media.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I live about a seven hour's drive from the Mexico/California border. In a college dorm. This will be interesting. Maybe.

Solana

World Traveler
    Years
    This virus doesn't target very young/very old people but young healthy adults. That's why they are making a link to the 1918 pandemic where 100 million people died. The numbers are not alarming yet but remember, this is a virus. Viruses mutate until they have a very high kill rate. It's already known that the US cases are much more mild then the Mexico cases. The thing is, when this thing spreads, and it's doing pretty good, anything could happen and it looks like it's highly contagious.

People, don't be so paranoid. It's incredible that people outside of Mexico are the ones who show the most exaggerated concern about it. Here people are being significantly more calm, maybe because we actually know what's going on, as opposed to a great amount of foreign/internet media.

Do you know what's going on? Tell me. Even the WHO has no single idea what this virus is and what it can do. Look what it has reached in 3 days.

And the media isn't overrating this. The WHO said this has pandemic potential and looking at the timeline shows they are absolutely right.

I don't see anyone who's acting paranoid here. Just concerned people and that's normal in this situation.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I am so damn glad I don't eat pig meat whatsoever.

Well, we can only hope that this just ends like the Bird Flu did back a few years ago - scaring the crap out of everyone but not actually mounting to anything beyond about 100 deaths (when it could easily be 10,000,000).

Can't get it from eating pig, the virus dies when exposed to 70degrees Celsius.

Years
    O_o
    OMG! When the churches in Mexico close. It means this is big. My AP Bio teacher started saying this is big also. I didn't really pay attention to it until now. Yes I've heard the CDC announcement but eh. This is America. Too bad I live in Los Angeles since we have very close ties to the Mexican community. Also I was planning to post this up earlier but I'd been trying to ween myself off the PC/Web. XD
    I'm keeping a close eye on this. Even SARS was a scare. But remember the government tries to keep this in wraps since they don't want mass panic. But when they start sending out alerts. IT'S SERIOUS Buissiness. D:
    I hope for the best since we already have SO MANY PROBLEMS. (Remeber how President Obama was swept into power? Crappy Economy? Healthcare System? Education System? Climate Change? Foreign Affairs?)

Is the World Ready? (Why yes it is. XD)

Experts are adamant, the world has never been better prepared for a flu pandemic.
    History tells us that there are global epidemics every 30 to 50 years.
    And with the last one happening in the late 1960s, governments across the world have been on alert for the past decade.
    That moment could now be here with the World Health Organization describing the outbreak of swine flu as a major concern.
    Governments across the world have been revising and making new plans since the re-emergence of bird flu six years ago in south east Asia.
    Nearly 150 countries are now known to have drawn up contingency plans covering everything from the response of health services to travel restrictions and international co-operation.
    In 2007, the International Health Regulations came into place compelling all 194 member states to respond to a "public health emergency of international concern".

Last edited:

DragonBackpack

of the shattered sun
    Years
    mexico

wow i was in mexico on holiday not long ago... im such a paranoid person about everything aswell... im pretty lucky. but besides i live in the UK so its all good atm.. hopee everything will pass soon though for the mexicans

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    Ah, lovely.

I think it's a bit overhyped in the media right now. Yes, it's something to be concerned about, but really, the media doesn't need to blow it up as much as they have. They're just doing it because they don't have anything else to talk about (Noth Korea will launch a missle and you'll stop hearing about this).

Reminds me of the staf infection outbreak last year. Nothing really happend.

Then again, I'm in massachusets, so maybe my attitude is from the fact noone around me has it. I'll worry more when someone around me gets it.

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
    Ah, lovely.

I think it's a bit overhyped in the media right now. Yes, it's something to be concerned about, but really, the media doesn't need to blow it up as much as they have. They're just doing it because they don't have anything else to talk about (Noth Korea will launch a missle and you'll stop hearing about this).

Reminds me of the staf infection outbreak last year. Nothing really happend.

Then again, I'm in massachusets, so maybe my attitude is from the fact noone around me has it. I'll worry more when someone around me gets it.
    There have been cases in New York.

I live in Maine, but I am honestly seriously concerned. Yes, I admit I am VERY PARANOID, but I am seeing this as a legit threat. Seeing the numbers from the Hong Kong flu of '68 (1 mil) and the Spanish flu of '18 (1.5 mil) I am very scared for all meatpuppets everywhere.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    Well, in the state of Baja California, where I live, there hasn't been any cases of Swine Flu hitting someone, so I'm lucky I'm not taking any risks. But in some others, like Monterrey, yeah, they've suspended stuff, like school, work, and all. I am a bit worried about what's going on over there, since all of my family lives there, and so far, they're ok. I hope they take all necessary precautions...

Years
    Do you know what's going on? Tell me. Even the WHO has no single idea what this virus is and what it can do. Look what it has reached in 3 days.

And the media isn't overrating this. The WHO said this has pandemic potential and looking at the timeline shows they are absolutely right.

I don't see anyone who's acting paranoid here. Just concerned people and that's normal in this situation.

I just find it funny that many people's got their facts wrong (post above this one) and how some react as if this was already a pandemic. Yes, we've got to take care and take preventive measures. An hour ago, I was evacuated from my school, like every other student in the country, until we resume classes on May 7th. That doesn't mean there is a single confirmed case in my state, suffice to say, the biggest state in the country. It also doesn't mean I can wander around and pretend nothing is happening. I am concerned about this.

Yes, it has pandemic potential. But the media will always take advantage of these situations even if they're of such nature. I may have worded it wrong, but people don't need to be misleaded by statements like premature comparisons to past pandemics (post #14); it's not only PC where I see people getting their facts wrong, reciting outrageous death tolls, and expecting even worse.

I get my facts from two relatives, both doctors, one here and one in the south, on one of the areas of greater alarm as of now. Sadly, there are a lot of infected people, but from the totals estimated by the media, roughly the half has been confirmed to actually have it.

And I base my opinion on the fact that I'm currently studying communications and media, as well. Sadly, many times that is how it works.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back