• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

Ayselipera

China made their ceremonies so serious which is fine and all, but it just gave me a tense feeling. Canada's was loud, stupid, and funny. Once I saw the giant inflatable beavers I was like, "This is the BEST closing ceremony ever!" Overall I thought Canada was a great host. They made Canada seem like such a fun and beautiful place. I'll definitely have to go visit sometime~

* I'm happy that NBC stopped covering once Avril Lavigne and Nickelback took the stage. That would have ruined all my enjoyment.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Lmao, I didn't really enjoy the musical choices (the only cliché we were missing was Céline Dion...) but the rest of it was great.

The opening ceremony was... weird. But the closing ceremony was just so Canadian. It perfectly captured our sense of humour and how we think our stereotypes are hilarious and joke about them all the time. xD; I didn't like the person who presented it, but I did like the monologue on "sorry" near the beginning. The speech bubble with one of our Gold Medalists going "SORRY! I'll get it bronzed!" made me laugh out loud.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    "It perfectly captured our sense of humour and how we think our stereotypes are hilarious and joke about them all the time. xD;"

However, the rest of the world outside of Canada doesn't get the joke. While great for us Canadians watching, everywhere else, particularly our neighbours to the south, see it as just everything they mistakenly think Canada is; a cultural presentation instead of humour. A confirmation of stereotypes. I'm sure there was a "lol giant inflatable beaver wut" moment everywhere regardless, but I don't think seeing it as a joke was universal.

It would have been good if Céline Dion had been there. Annoying, but talented. Easily recognizable and loved throughout the world.

Cherrim

Years
    "It perfectly captured our sense of humour and how we think our stereotypes are hilarious and joke about them all the time. xD;"

However, the rest of the world outside of Canada doesn't get the joke. While great for us Canadians watching, everywhere else, particularly our neighbours to the south, see it as just everything they mistakenly think Canada is; a cultural presentation instead of humour. A confirmation of stereotypes. I'm sure there was a "lol giant inflatable beaver wut" moment everywhere regardless, but I don't think seeing it as a joke was universal.

It would have been good if Céline Dion had been there. Annoying, but talented. Easily recognizable and loved throughout the world.
    Then that is their problem. :( I immensely preferred the closing ceremony, even if Canada is the only one to really "get" it over the opening ceremony which was... well, a little pretentious. Impressive, for sure, but I honestly didn't get a sense of "Canada" from anything but the part meant to represent the Maritimes.

Besides, if they fully believe that's what we are rather than stereotypes, that's fine by me! We needed to reinforce that after Vancouver shattered every country's Canadian ideals with its severe lack of snow. :(

Also I only know one person worldwide who likes Celine Dion... there's a reason we exported her to Vegas and won't take her back. D:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I hated our opening ceremonies. Like you, I "didn't get a sense of "Canada" from anything but the part meant to represent the Maritime". Although whale-floor and the forest were neat to look at.

I really disliked the opening ceremonies. Very nature-focues. Very native. Canada's got great metropolitan cities - like Vancouver! - and that wasn't touched upon at all.

From the closing... I disliked O'Hara. She fell totally flat. And most of the music because it didn't look like anyone there was moving around and having fun.

"Also I only know one person worldwide who likes Celine Dion... there's a reason we exported her to Vegas and won't take her back. D:"
    I said she was annoying XD But, there's also a reason she's one of the most successful artists out there.

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
    I really enjoyed the closing ceremonies because it shows how well the organizers have been able to adapt to messy situations. I thought the resurrection of the broken fourth pillar was awesome. And Catriana got her chance too; that was fabulous.

A huge part of the closing ceremonies was about Canadians making fun of themselves in a very comical way, and I especially enjoyed Buble's climatic swing performance on The Maple Leaf. There were a few things that irked me:
    - John Furlong's horribly noticeable accent when trying to making French announcements
    - no Celine Dion (actually, Celine never said that she would sing due to her concerns on pregnancy timing)
    - the ceremony ended rather abruptly; I really wanted something that brought everyone together with a final feel-good song or something epic; instead, the ceremonies end right after k-os's dance tracks

I think overall though that the outcome for the Games couldn't have been better. For us at least. :p

Cherrim

Years
    There were a few things that irked me:
    - John Furlong's horribly noticeable accent when trying to making French announcements
    fffffffffff I'd already blocked that traumatic speech from my memory. D: James Moore's (?) speech at the Opening Ceremony was just as bad. It made me wince every time he tried to say a French word. Like, he doesn't even get an A for Effort. I literally wish he would've had someone step up and say the French lines in his speech for them, or just not include them at all. (At least after both of them, the IOC President stepped up and spoke perfect French to make it a little better. xD)

reyzn

Years
    I was all for getting Canadian musicians to play in the closing ceremonies.. but Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan?
    Seriously?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I was all for getting Canadian musicians to play in the closing ceremonies.. but Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan?
    Seriously?

I know... we have tons of talented artists. :\

I guess they just went with the most easily recognizable ones...

Cherrim

Years
    My friends and I were joking about how they probably just chose people who were recognizable so we could do the typical Canadian "hey, you know this awesome person/thing? Yeah? DID YOU KNOW THEY ORIGINATED IN CANADA?? :DDD?" since we are attention grabbers like that. |D;;

Back