• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2011: The Year in Downfalls

Years
  • ITT: Why 2011 was the year of the downfall - the end of many longstanding cultural institutions, from TV to sports to political revolution, etc.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/the-year-in-downfalls-201112#slide=18

After the Arab Spring, when dictatorial regimes in Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen were toppled or at least changed forever, it was hard to look at 2011 as anything but the year when things fell apart. For millions of people around the world, life will never be the same. So what other mass institutions crumbled this year?

In 2011, things changed in many ways:

• The "Arab Spring"
    • The Fall of the Murdoch dynasty
    • Fukushima Disaster in Japan, natural disasters all over the world
    • Famous marriages ended- Kardashian, McCourt, Lopez, Moore
    • End of the Oprah Winfrey Show after 25 years
    • Disgraced Politicians - Anthony Weiner
    • The fall of Penn State
    • CERN 'disproves' a century of Physics
    • The Royal wedding
    • End of DADT
    • Credit downgrades hit the US & Europe
    • World Population hit 7 Billion
    • Final Space Shuttle Liftoff
    • 10 year anniversary of 9/11
    • Death of Osama Bin Laden & Kim Jong Il
    • The end of the 9 Year long Iraq war
    • The death of many famous people - Elisabeth Taylor, Steve Jobs,

Not be a downer, but 2012 is right down the corner. Is our society falling apart at the seams, slowly but surely, or are things just improving as we progress further in this current millennium? Is all this change inevitable?

Last edited:

RedSox71

I am a pineapple
    Years
  • This year was definitely a unique one, and a very significant one. I will definitely remember 2011 for a very long time..I mean, everything happened, like you said. I don't think the world will be the same. Not sure how, or to what extent, but things are definitely changing. I'm not sure for the good or bad, either. Especially with the death of Kim Jong-Il..it's going to be interesting to see what happens next. I'm nervous.

Living in Pennsylvania, I think the Penn State thing had a big impact..a larger impact than it should have. This used to be "Nittany Lion" country and now this town has lost that identity. I'm not sure. Like, in the days following it, I was almost ashamed to be from here lol. But that's just me. My dreams of going to main campus are not crushed.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    You forgot to mention that the speed of light was surpassed. I think that's quite note-worthy.

But yeah, this year was definitely an eventful one. To answer your question, I think change is inevitable. I'm glad to see these things happening. I'm just a bit nervous about Kim Jong-Il's death, I haven't heard any good news concerning the possible replacement of his son Kim Jong-un, South Korea must be going nuts.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I had to google to see who those famous marriages were. >_> Not sure if they are even 1% as important as most of the other events listed.

Unless listing that is a joke, then forgive me. <_<

But yes, this was a VERY eventful year. People have had it with their corrupt governments in many countries. It makes sense that motivation to stand up to it dominoed around the world.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    Gadaffi isn't on the list? He was a Libyan dictator and died a horrible death.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    CRAPPY OPINION #695 COMING RIGHT UP

• End of the Oprah Winfrey Show after 25 years

still crying over this r.i.p the oprah winfrey show i love you oprah

I wouldn't say society is falling apart at the seams, I think this year has just had more 'controversial' things happening in it than others of late. Ok, that probably doesn't make sense idk. Although I think that the world is slowly but surely getting worse, I don't think we're at the point where 'society is falling apart at the seams yet'. Don't get me wrong, I understand completely why you would say that, I'm just not fully convinced myself.

Years
  • Don't forget the credit scores of many countries being downgraded.

As much as there were a lot of things "falling apart" (although I don't see why you single out Oprah, "famous" marriages failing, Pen State, the royal wedding, and Elizabeth Taylor - none of these is really that unique and/or important despite media coverage) that phrases makes it sounds like only bad things happened when there have been some rather good things to come out of 2011. Germany pushed forward on removing nuclear power in light of what happened in Japan. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed in the US. Syria just agreed to let outside observers into the country so even there things are turning around for the better.

It's definitely a year for things changing, but I think we have a lot to look forward to if things go well in 2012. The foundation for lots of good changes is here right now thanks to everything that happened this year.

You forgot to mention that the speed of light was surpassed. I think that's quite note-worthy.
    I think that's in the "CERN 'disproves' a century of physics" bit.

Years
  • Don't forget the credit scores of many countries being downgraded.

As much as there were a lot of things "falling apart" (although I don't see why you single out Oprah, "famous" marriages failing, Pen State, the royal wedding, and Elizabeth Taylor - none of these is really that unique and/or important despite media coverage) that phrases makes it sounds like only bad things happened when there have been some rather good things to come out of 2011. Germany pushed forward on removing nuclear power in light of what happened in Japan. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed in the US. Syria just agreed to let outside observers into the country so even there things are turning around for the better.

It's definitely a year for things changing, but I think we have a lot to look forward to if things go well in 2012. The foundation for lots of good changes is here right now thanks to everything that happened this year.

I think that's in the "CERN 'disproves' a century of physics" bit.

The year in changes is probably a more apt description, being a year of great change. I'd still be a bit wary of some of it though, the lack of stability in other countries right now is very worrisome. The conflict in Syria could escalate into full on civil war, and don't forget the heightened tensions with Iran.

Back