• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga 2016's Best OPs and EDs?

Years
  • It seems that half of the stuff I watched last year was either OVA or shorts, I've probably skipped loads of good stuff.
    Spoiler:

Most memorable was probably Dagashi Kashi,

Years
  • It seems that half of the stuff I watched last year was either OVA or shorts, I've probably skipped loads of good stuff.
    Spoiler:

Most memorable was probably Dagashi Kashi,

That's probably my personal nominee as well.

Bakuon!! has also stuck with me, as has Saekano (I was randomly hearing the song for this one in my head without remembering where it came from for months last year), but with Dagashi Kashi even the visuals have stuck, which can't be said for the other two.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Hmm I don't really pay attention to most ED's so I don't have any nominee for those but on the topic of OP's.

My Top 10 in no order:

- Konosuba
    - Musaigen no Phantom World
    - Boku no Hero Academia
    - Re-Zero
    - Sakamoto Desu ka?
    - a tie between Pokemon XY&Z (The original not the dub. XY&Z's original OP is super hype) and Pokemon SuMo (Well animated and light hearted fun)
    - Mob Psycho 100 (This would probably be my #1 if I'm listing these)
    - 91 Days
    - Hibike Euphonioum S2
    - WWW.Working

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • Mob Psycho 100 definitely has best op of 2016 imo. I really liked konosuba's ending and is probably my fav ending of 2016.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Enough people've said Mob Psycho that I don't really need to throw my hat into the ring for that in terms of openings, but there are others that are worth noting, I suppose.

Erased's Re:Re is kind of cheating because the song's from 2004(ish) and I didn't watch the show until this year, but even though it's pretty theme light the opening's pretty well coordinated and the song's memorable as hell.

Re:Zero's Redo wasn't close to the best of last year but I see Hacking to the Gate on lists enough that I'd say the latter mentioned opening can very politely eat shit for being an overrated opening that was never actually that good and Redo is the updated version of it that does pretty much everything better. And it's not even that good. Paradisus Paradoxum, the second opening, beat the shit out of Redo in terms of direction, ideas, the information being presented, symbolism, the song itself, and only really being worse in the way of the whole idea of returning to zero being tacked on more than anything else, though the end of the theme does redeem it in that regard. And while I generally don't like using the word overrated I think openings and endings are some of the few places where I'll actually throw the word around thanks to a common general disregard for the opening as a whole and instead favoring just the song or what have you.

Crazy Bizarre Town. chase. Great Days. All 2016, all probably some of the smartest openings in a long ass time, and all pretty much what I want to be made examples of. If you have a bit of time on your hands and you've seen DiU ('cause this is full of spoilers), I'd recommend checking this out. Couldn't appreciate these openings more after watching this:

Spoiler:

Oh shit, wait. No.

My second favorite was Disorder from Big Order. The show wasn't exactly popular but the song really got the shit end of the stick. The show's popularity was warranted, it was mediocre and the end was both rushed and ass, but holy hell was that opening fun. Up there with The Creator for me in terms of Yousei Teikoku songs. And the opening itself is pretty solid itself. Stylistic, fun, full of red herrings, and just a good time.

Spoiler:

And as for my favorite, Kamiiro no Awase by binaria, the opening to Danganronpa 3: Despair Side. Why? Because it makes for the perfect opening to the prequel to Danganronpa 2. It's by no mean the best opening on the list, it's pretty simple and it's symbolism is super on-the-nose, but as far as evoking feelings as a sequel and just being a memorable as fuck song, this one wins. I don't have too much to say about it since it's just better experienced than me explaining it.

---

As for endings, Konosuba's was comfy, but Danganronpa 3 Future-side's takes the cake for me easily. Without a doubt. It's probably one of the simplest endings- well, no. Simplest of the ones with any sort of meaning. But hot damn if this isn't probably one of my favorite endings in years. 'S been a while since I watched an ending every single time. I've been typing for a while and this post's long enough. But I love it. Here it is. No spoilers so just give it a watch. Or a listen, even.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • Enough people've said Mob Psycho that I don't really need to throw my hat into the ring for that in terms of openings, but there are others that are worth noting, I suppose.

Erased's Re:Re is kind of cheating because the song's from 2004(ish) and I didn't watch the show until this year, but even though it's pretty theme light the opening's pretty well coordinated and the song's memorable as hell.

Re:Zero's Redo wasn't close to the best of last year but I see Hacking to the Gate on lists enough that I'd say the latter mentioned opening can very politely eat shit for being an overrated opening that was never actually that good and Redo is the updated version of it that does pretty much everything better. And it's not even that good. Paradisus Paradoxum, the second opening, beat the shit out of Redo in terms of direction, ideas, the information being presented, symbolism, the song itself, and only really being worse in the way of the whole idea of returning to zero being tacked on more than anything else, though the end of the theme does redeem it in that regard. And while I generally don't like using the word overrated I think openings and endings are some of the few places where I'll actually throw the word around thanks to a common general disregard for the opening as a whole and instead favoring just the song or what have you.

Crazy Bizarre Town. chase. Great Days. All 2016, all probably some of the smartest openings in a long ass time, and all pretty much what I want to be made examples of. If you have a bit of time on your hands and you've seen DiU ('cause this is full of spoilers), I'd recommend checking this out. Couldn't appreciate these openings more after watching this:

Spoiler:

Oh shit, wait. No.

My second favorite was Disorder from Big Order. The show wasn't exactly popular but the song really got the shit end of the stick. The show's popularity was warranted, it was mediocre and the end was both rushed and ass, but holy hell was that opening fun. Up there with The Creator for me in terms of Yousei Teikoku songs. And the opening itself is pretty solid itself. Stylistic, fun, full of red herrings, and just a good time.

Spoiler:

And as for my favorite, Kamiiro no Awase by binaria, the opening to Danganronpa 3: Despair Side. Why? Because it makes for the perfect opening to the prequel to Danganronpa 2. It's by no mean the best opening on the list, it's pretty simple and it's symbolism is super on-the-nose, but as far as evoking feelings as a sequel and just being a memorable as fuck song, this one wins. I don't have too much to say about it since it's just better experienced than me explaining it.

---

As for endings, Konosuba's was comfy, but Danganronpa 3 Future-side's takes the cake for me easily. Without a doubt. It's probably one of the simplest endings- well, no. Simplest of the ones with any sort of meaning. But hot damn if this isn't probably one of my favorite endings in years. 'S been a while since I watched an ending every single time. I've been typing for a while and this post's long enough. But I love it. Here it is. No spoilers so just give it a watch. Or a listen, even.
    Oh boy, Big Order is the best comedy anime of 2016. I went in with zero standards, and I came out laughing my rear off the majority of the time.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I usually just skip endings (oops).

Favourite 2016 anime OPs were; Lay your hands on me (Kiznaiver), 99 (Mob Psycho 100), and Bye Bye Yesterday (Assassination Classroom S2). Alola!! (Pokemon Sun & Moon) and History Maker (Yuri!!! on ICE) were fun to listen to (although I didn't watch YOI).

Strikes me that I barely watched anime last year. I'll have to check out the top rated stuff soon. Not much from this year has impressed me outside Boku no Hero Academia and AoT that I'm only watching so that I don't reveal manga spoilers to my friends.

Haileo

Fluttershy is mai waifu
    Years
  • Netoge no Yome's OP because of Luce Twinkle Wink:

I also really loved Shokugeki no Soma S2's OP:

And how can we forget LL Sunshine:

Years
  • 2016, you already know, best OPs goes to Mob Psycho, Boku no Hero, Yuri!!! on ICE, and Shimoneta. The only good ending off the top of my head is from Boku no Hero as well.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
  • I don't watch all that much anime anymore (besides Fairy Tail, but that's just when I want the nostalgia trip), but I do remember a few that stick out for random reasons:

Do I even need to explain this? Three words: SO...MUCH...NOSTALGIA

For how underwhelming the anime was, the opening is really good!

Once again, do I even need to explain?

IMPORTANT EDIT: WHOOPS I just realized that this was just for 2016 anime...awkward.

Regardless these are good OPs, go watch them.

Back