• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#22 Stripping All PC Ranks

Years
    If this were to happen, then what would concern me? Likely the fact that if people could lock and unlock whatever threads they wanted, or file reports for whoever they felt was necessary, then we might have a hard bunch to round up.

But i'd dig checking out what's in that staff forum though.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Well, at first I'd think it would be cool, since we'd all get the same perks and whatnot. Like what Pendraflare said, I'd love to see what's in the staff forums ;o

But after a while I imagine that people would start stepping up as mods, even if they're not exactly... mod-material. Let's face it: a lot of people want to be the leader. And when everyone wants to be the leader, it's going to be complete chaos. I imagine drama everywhere. Random people would be giving out emblems to those who don't really deserve it, or maybe someone would be giving emblems to his or herself. I imagine some troll renaming every forum to something silly, and another member desperately changing it all back to its original name. In short, people would start abusing their power.

If, one day, the staff would actually strip all PC ranks (which is extremely unlikely), I would leave, but not immediately. I'd want to see if it would turn out the way I think it would, heh.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ranks, even staff ranks, are cool. It gives people something to strive for and others to look up to. You can argue about elitism and stuff all you want, I think it is good as it is now when people who donate money to keep the site running get a rank to show for it, and where not just anybody can be a mod because they want to. It's human nature to adhere to some kind of hierarchy, all the way since stone age. That does not mean it can't be somewhat democratic and let everybody have a say!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    PC would become an anarchy of trolls and scammers. It would be unusable, and everyone would leave, which would cause the trolls to leave, and the forum to be dead.

But then...once the forum dies, one member would emerge from nowhere and revive it, and original members would start flocking back to the newly revived and revolutionized PC. That member is...

Spoiler:

Just kidding... But something similar would probably happen, with the whole forum likely dying of being full of trolls and stuff.
    But luckily this won't ever happen...right, El? ...(Unless he's being Matt da rebel and wants to destroy PC)

Tek

Years
    Basically, this is what I see when everyone was stripped of their ranks :x

#22 Stripping All PC Ranks

all hail lord helix

Actually I'm glad you bring up Twitch plays Pokémon, because that experiment is totally applicable to this discussion.

Anarchy can be fun on its own, and even useful when it's balanced with a structured environment. But if we took all the structure away, played only in Anarchy mode, it would be really difficult to accomplish anything. As we all know, people love to act out impulsive desires when they're on the internet and don't have to wear their social persona.

I'm not familiar with how Wikipedia operates, but I imagine we could learn something from their structure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Well, the place needs an admin; if everyone could access the admin CP this place would be locked by the first troll to change the password and log out. So, given an admin whom only performs server/site maintenance, and otherwise lacking order, I guess TPC would end up like 4chan's /vp/, which isn't a bad place unless my standards fell through the Earth's core or something.

Back