• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#@&%!!!!!!!!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Without using any examples in this thread please do you swear a lot?

If so, why? Do you feel it adds more impact to what you're saying, helps show that you're irritated / impressed / whatever, or something completely different and if so, what? And another thing for those of you who do swear, is it a habit you'd like to change or does it not matter very much to you? Also who do you find yourself swearing around most?

For those of you who don't, why not? Do you not believe you need to swear to get your point across, or do you just feel generally unpleasant when you swear? Or again, it might be something completely different. Under what circumstances, if any, do you swear?

And a few general questions.
    > Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?
    > Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case.
    > Do you swear as much online as you do offline?

Fire away and yeah uh keep it clean please!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I swear many times a day on and offline, I doubt there are any days where I Don't swear. It's out of habit, more than anything else. I don't think about saying it, I just do it. I totally do not want to change it; it's just a word, anyone who thinks it's bad is either middle class or uptight for no good reason. I think it's a part of modern culture and there's no reason to reject it or be offended by it.

Only time I hate hate HATE swearing is in literature/poetry; it has no place there and it annoys me so much to see people including it in writing. When you are creating literature you have the entire language at your disposal and using curses is just a stupid cop out when you could choose something so much better. Music and film are different though, it's okay there.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011
    I tend to swear when I'm being earnest (and frustrated)... or when I'm driving.

I'm trying to cut down on the first bit simply because, well, it's not a very good habit to suddenly start cursing left and right: it's something I'd like to control instead of having it control me. People tend to take arguments - however well-reasoned - less seriously if there's an inclusion of a tactical F-bomb.

As for the second case... well...

In my defense those eighteen-wheelers deserved it. :P

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    I don't swear much at all, partially because it just seems weird to me when I do say swear words, and partially because I know that when I do cuss people shut up and listen to me. XD Pretty much the only time I would swear is if someone REALLY got me angry, which doesn't happen often. Of maybe if I got shot or something. Idk. XD

No I do not. I am perfectly fine with it. ^__^

Again, no I don't. In fact, people who know me and know I don't cuss often will sometimes cuss and then apologize because they think it will offend me. I just laugh and say I don't care. ^__^

Pretty much, I swear equally in both. XD Maybe a little more online, just because it is more prevalent in my online life than in my offline life.

Last edited:

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I say "Dammit" quite often, but other than that I don't actually curse a lot.
    Not really.
    It depends. If the person is swearing to express their anger, that's fine. But if they're swearing at somebody, I find that to be pretty offensive.
    I probably swear more offline. But again, it's mostly "Dammit."

Ayselipera

I swear a pretty good amount on and offline. I probably do a bit more offline though since it seems more natural just to say a lot of swears then to type them all out in succession if I'm on a rant or whatnot. I don't get irritated by people who swear regularly and I don't find it offensive. Generally speaking though I'll hold back on my swearing if I'm around someone who I can tell wouldn't appreciate it, but those kinds of people usually aren't friends of mine so this only happens in casual conversation anyways!

Not really sure why I swear as much as I do. I mean sometimes I feel as though certain sentences just need a swear in them to emphasize whatever I'm trying to say or sometimes they add humor. Most of the time though if I start swearing a lot I'm ranting about something that annoyed me.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I don't swear that much out loud. But I have like an inner demon within me with all sorts of crazy thoughts, which includes cursing, rudeness, etc. But outside I'm all quiet.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I haven't sworn since 9th grade. At all.

Yes, it's pretty annoying. If every other word you say is a curse word, I'm just plain not ever going to talk to you.

Yes, I do find it offensive. They're bad for a reason. (Why that reason is, who knows, but that's still how I take them.)

I type acronyms like wtf, but I don't really think that counts. If so, then I do online more.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It honestly depends on who I'm around, just like many other "parts" of me, so to speak. As far as I know, there are only two people that I would actually be willing to swear around, and that's my sister and my best friend. Mainly because I know that don't mind it (because I don't do ti excessively) and they don't find it offensive if I do.

Like many other things, I guess swearing is another way to show how comfortable i am to showing my 'real' self around you. Nothing means that I don't know how you feel about it/haven't really gotten to know you (or I know how you feel about it so I don't do it if you're uncomfortable). Then there is 'freakin' which I say irl alllll the time, and when I'm talking to someone/people I'm comfortable with I'll probably say it every now and then.

As long as the person I'm talking to doesn't say it excessively of offensively to someone, then I don't really mind it. It's just another way to express someone's thoughts and opinions to me. While yes there are other ways to do so, it also shows some personality, I guess you can say.

With that said, I definitely 'swear' more offline than online. I think online I've just begun saying 'freakin or flippin' and I think I've actually stopped (or tried to) because every time I have someone have said that I'm being rude or mean. And people wonder why I don't express myself how I really feel a lot.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I make sailors blush.

Nah. I only get annoyed if they started cussing a LOT out of nowhere because they think it makes them look cool. I've approached people about it before haha.

It can be offensive, depending on the context used. Otherwise, honestly bad words are just ways of expressing what you're talking about.

I'm actually trying not to cuss as much as I have been. But I cuss less offline, just because I only remember not to do it offline haha ;__;...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I say, "dammit" and "crap" out loud sometimes, but I say the S and F words to myself.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?: I don't really mind.
    > Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case: If you're doing it too much, then it's offensive because people may not respect you much for using too many swear words.
    > Do you swear as much online as you do offline?: Not that often.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I swear way too casually for my own good, online and offline. It annoys me when people constantly use swear words (every few words), but apart that, people can swear whenever they want and not annoy me. It's not the big deal some people make it out to be. I understand why swearing would be frowned upon in very formal occasions, but outside of that? Swear all you want, sailor.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    I hate it when people swear constantly. Makes them annoying. Everyone once in a while it's okay. But too much is stupid.

I don't swear. I never did. I think that if you need to use swear words to get across your point frequently then you have some vocabulary problems.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Swearing means absolutely nothing. I don't find them offensive or not offensive as long as they aren't used in a derogatory or disrespectful manner. To me, they're just like any other word. I curse moderately, and I really don't care if someone curses as long as they don't throw it in every other word they have to say. That can really get irritating and it makes it seem like they're just trying to impress people around them by showing that they can curse, which isn't at all impressive.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I swear quite often, but not like every other word.

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly? Nope. Not unless in extreme situations.
    > Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case. latter, because I've been pretty much "desensitized" by it by this time.
    > Do you swear as much online as you do offline? Not really. If I did have opportunity to swear in this forum freely, I would do it here, but it's against the rules so I try to stay away from this business.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I swear quite a bit, but actually more around my family than my friends at college...

> Do you get irritated by people who swear regularly?: I don't mind.
    > Do you find swearing offensive or inoffensive? State why in either case: I personally don't find it offensive, just unprofessional if it's someone who's in some position of power doing it. Among friends, I'm fine with it.
    > Do you swear as much online as you do offline?: No, it's against the rules here on PC :P

Years
    pardon the block of text

I tend to swear a lot offline, but it depends on the situation. At work I am usually good about not swearing when I'm at the front, because that would be bad for customers to hear. When I'm out of work, haha, I do. Online, obviously I don't on PC (I don't even let myself hit the censors) but while on MSN I will. I think I swear a bit less online. I'm not really sure why I swear at all outside of stressful situations. tbh it's probably a bad habit I should break.

I don't care if people swear or not, that's their business. Just as long as they're not one of those people who swears every other word, anyway. So I don't take offense.

Uh, is it offensive? It depends on the word. Some really are, and I try to avoid them (and fail when speaking, online not as much). Others, not so much.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I use my fair share of foul words. I do not get irritated by people who use the word every so often. I probably have started swearing just a little too much. What bothers me, though, is when someone is talking to me and I hear. "So, then I <insert swear word>, and he <insert swear word>, so I uh.. <insert swear word>. Just, dude, <insert swear word><insert swear word><insert swear word><insert swear word>." True conversation. .-. Mainly one word in particular.

Not really. It's my mouth, I'll say what I damn well please. If someone chooses to get offended by it, then that is their choice. I can't control what does and doesn't offend them. I think, that in excessive cases(like the one above) it is quite trashy. It doesn't look good, you should have some class. Curse words aren't meant to be everyday vocabulary, they are meant to be used was they are needed. They are strong words, with strong meanings, and they should be used when you need you get your point across, strongly.

No. Because I'm typing. Most of my swearing is because I'm just so used to hearing it all around, that it just comes out naturally. Yeah, kind of sucky I know. But it is what it is. I don't say them as often as some people do(haven't said one today.) I think I probably typed a few today, but those pretty much had reasons for them to be.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    No, because I swear really, really often.
    I find swearing offensive when they're swearing at me. I find swearing inoffensive when they're swearing with or for me.
    Probably less online than real life. :D

Back