• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2D = bad?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • With the announcement of the upcoming Wario Land 5: The Shake Dimension for the Wii, a new controversy has arisen: are 2D games "too outdated", and thereby should be left for minor releases in portable systems; have they been definitely exiled by 3D and should be left to History, specially in this generation were graphics are almost all what many people care for; or can they still make good games?

My personal opinion is that, if gameplay and plot are good, and it can make you have a good experience, the format is not so important, specially after my old great experiences with old-style games.

Any opinions on this?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • I agree that people are too into 3D and realistic-style graphics in their games these days. It didn't seem like a while ago that 3D games were trying to find their feet (and they were rubbish too).

Seeing a 2D game, especially on a home console like the Wii, is a refreshing change of pace.

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • I think it comes down to developers generally not liking to be limited as to what they can do. A game can still seem appealing in a 2D setting, although you would be limited in many other ways. 3D simply has the benefits. Those are being much less work required from the artists considering the high quality of the animation, better hit detection, better feeling of actually being inside the world, better lighting, etc.

However, I understand that graphics normally become more important than the gameplay. Being eye catching is a major aspect and all, but it's the actual substance of the game that matters. That said, I find 2D games as to no way be outdated as long as they're pulled off really well.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweeties, 2D will NEVER die.

2D is not outdated, it only takes some effort for the genre to be executed perfectly.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I consider it to be of no importance whether a game is in 2D or 3D. What really matters when it comes to graphics is how aesthetically good they are. When games start sacrificing artistic value for hyper-realism, they lose a part of what makes the game-playing experience so unique. How much imagination goes into a game universe is far more important than whether it is in 2D or 3D.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think it depends what game you're trying to make. For a shooter, you don't want to be aiming at 2-D people, that's just retarded in this day and age. An RPG however (Golden Sun for example) is just as well if not better done in 2-D.

Years
  • 2D games will never be out of date. As long as there are developers willing to venture only as far as the 2nd dimension, the games that exist in it will always be. And as long as it is a pleasurable experience, then let them continue.

Back