• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3-D vs. 2-D In Pokemon Games

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I'll admit that the BW sprites looked a little weird when the camera angle shifted, but that is the only problem I've had so far. Pokemon will not stop advancing in graphics until they have something like Colluseum and XD except it's a main series game. ON A HANDHELD SYSTEM. Deal with it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The 3-D feel of the Gen IV-V games are a major improvement over Gens I-III, so I like the graphics of Gen IV-V better.

Nameless.

Graphics don't typically make or break a game for me as much as the gameplay itself. Graphics are nice to have when done right but it's really not a huge factor when I play Pokemon.
    Both pseudo-3D and 2D in Pokemon are really nice to me, but the 3D needs to actually -become- 3D so the label is correct. :B

It might be hard for me to get used to full 3D, but it was fun when I played.. say, Pokepark and the Shadow Pokemon games. :] Someday would be nice. :3

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    Honestly, there's no point in complaining about it. Whether you like it or not, the graphics are going to keep moving toward 3D. Most people see that as an improvement (although I am aware that some don't).

I for one am very happy with the changes made. I think they have improved the look and feel of the game with each installment and generation. I love the 3D they've added to BW, and I'll be thrilled if they go even further with it in future games/gens.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Graphics don't typically make or break a game for me as much as the gameplay itself. Graphics are nice to have when done right but it's really not a huge factor when I play Pokemon.
    Both pseudo-3D and 2D in Pokemon are really nice to me, but the 3D needs to actually -become- 3D so the label is correct. :B

It might be hard for me to get used to full 3D, but it was fun when I played.. say, Pokepark and the Shadow Pokemon games. :] Someday would be nice. :3

My minor issue about the advancement of 3D is about the actual battle screen. If Game Freak switches from depicting Pokemon with 2D pixelated sprites to using 3D models, exactly what is the point of the console game other than the RPG (already seen in the main series) and the mini-games (they don't exactly make a game; hence the term mini-games)? I'd prefer for the battle screen to continue using animated 2D Pokemon sprites to permit the console games to continue staying in relevance.

I mean, every console game to date has used 3D artwork while the main series handheld games continue to use 2D Sugimori artwork, so 3D does seem to be a main draw for the console games... :\

Last edited:
    Years
    I personally like the step forward to 3D in Pokemon games. Sure, it does look pretty stupid when a character's face becomes distorted when you're walking away from/towards them, but it's only the beginning of 3D in Pokemon. I'm sure the graphics will become more improved as more games are released. :>

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    My minor issue about the advancement of 3D is about the actual battle screen. If Game Freak switches from depicting Pokemon with 2D pixelated sprites to using 3D models, exactly what is the point of the console game other than the RPG (already seen in the main series) and the mini-games (they don't exactly make a game; hence the term mini-games). I'd prefer for the battle screen to continue using animated 2D Pokemon sprites to permit the console games to continue staying in relevance.

I mean, every console game to date has used 3D artwork while the main series handheld games continue to use 2D Sugimori artwork, so 3D does seem to be a main draw for the console games... :\

The ability of the 2D sprites to do things is rapidly reaching it's limit. The amount of work it takes to animate all 649~ Pokémon in 2D sprites is immense, and I really doubt we could see much more animation being put into the sprites other than a few more generic reactions, especially considering Game Freak need to redraw the sprites again to fit the large screen resolution of the 3DS - along with making the battle scenes fill the screen on a system that has a much wider aspect ratio than the DS. Pokémon unfortunately doesn't have the liberty of a lot of sprite-based RPGs that predominately feature human units who can share a common base for their animations.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I have to disagree with the claim the 3d graphics make it look childish - that I don't quite understand (never mind the fact the main audience for Pokmon are kids =p).
    In the tower place in the second city, when it shakes, the background gets messed up. Same in the gym some tiles are messed up.
    At that point I set the game down. I'm not playing a game like that. Luckily I got it for twenty bucks with another video game from Best Buy.
    That...sounds like you had a faulty game - I never encountered stuff like that and that's after playing the actual game and roms a few times in which one might expect it to be faulty. Certainly though IMHO, in the case of HGSS vs GSC... HGSS wins hands down in the graphics department.

I can't see the games going back to 2D either, especially with the arrival of the 3DS very soon.

Years
    Well, I personally find it a good way to portray Pokemon games, 2D got boring after Gen 2, whcih made Gen 3 a bit boring for me. So Gen 4 and onwards was a pretty good idea to make it 3D, I mean the build looks fantastic. Though the characters looked chubby, but Gen 5 fixed that. There's not much else I can think that they could improve by using 3D, except make it 4D. And our minds explode

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    I would love a completely 3D pokemon games like the classic ones. I don't care if its on a handheld or console...I just want one!!

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    Nostalgia appears to be the reason everyone hates 3D. I'll say at least this: I hate the BW grass tile, HGSS is much better since there isn't any space between the grass.

I've played Colosseum and I like that style, though it is dated and the 3DS can easily beat that.

Gilgαmesh

I honestly can't say that I'd rather stick to the past than adjust to the present.

What this means that I can't really feel like I'd be used to Pokemon having the same 2-D graphics with every single generation being released. 3D is being a major step forward from this, and D/P(well, the entire fourth generation actually) is pretty much a step in the right direction for me. When I first purchased the games, I was pretty much addicted to them not just because of the gameplay and whatnot, but the graphics too. n___n;

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Nostalgia appears to be the reason everyone hates 3D. I'll say at least this: [S-HIGHLIGHT]I hate the BW grass tile[/S-HIGHLIGHT], HGSS is much better since there isn't any space between the grass.

I've played Colosseum and I like that style, though it is dated and the 3DS can easily beat that.

:cer_laugh: This reminds me of the people who, when HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions were released, said "OMFG the grass looks slightly different! Ruined FOREVER!"

The ability of the 2D sprites to do things is rapidly reaching it's limit. The amount of work it takes to animate all 649~ Pokémon in 2D sprites is immense, and I really doubt we could see much more animation being put into the sprites other than a few more generic reactions, especially considering Game Freak need to redraw the sprites again to fit the large screen resolution of the 3DS - along with making the battle scenes fill the screen on a system that has a much wider aspect ratio than the DS. Pokémon unfortunately doesn't have the liberty of a lot of sprite-based RPGs that predominately feature human units who can share a common base for their animations.

Aren't 3D models more difficult to do than 2D sprites...? :cer_confused: Normally, I wouldn't object at all to actual 3D Pokemon models in the handheld games, but exactly what is the point of the Pokemon console games, then, if the main series handheld games feature the exact same 3D effect? I always viewed the "3D battle screen" as a major perk for the console games, while the handhelds simply fused 2D with pseudo-3D. I really feel that the console games would be somewhat redundant if the handheld main series acquire 3D battle screens. The only differences would likely be a few mini-games and a (possibly) halfbaked RPG plot, hardly enough to justify the continued purchases of console games IMO.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Building a 3D model pays off much better in the long run then trying to draw animated sprites in higher sizes each time - especially on the scale of Pokémon. It's not feasible to advance Pokémon's battle graphics any further while still using 2D sprites - and making use of 3D models allows them to be recycled and used in other parts of the game much easier than a static sprite. If you make a model that's already too good for the system to render, you can scale it down while keeping a better version around to use for a future date.

I don't care about the console games so I don't give two hoots what they do once the handheld series makes a jump to 3D, when they're not the big moneymakers for the series.

Last edited:

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    My answer, wait until 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future we switch to a 3rd person perspective. Not exactly on the 3DS itself, but still, I would like it.

But seriously, once 3DS, there's going to be no going back to 2D graphics for Pokemon. But because 3DS is designed for three dimensional graphics, I assume that they will be semi-mind blowing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Impressions of playing BW -

Game Freak, really, really want to make a fully 3D game. They're using camera angles so much and full 3D graphics for the event cutscenes. It's just that the DS would choke at trying to render people and miscellaneous things like trees or signs while also rendering all the existing building geometry.

Last edited:

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    Personally, I think the 3D Graphics in B/W look promising.. I'm really excited to see what hackers will be able to do with these new tiles/sprites/ect. :)

Back