• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 3 on 3 BATTLES!!!!

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
  • Quoted for truth.

I thought this was a terrible idea at first because I kinda' hate double battles, but then I realized the reason I hate double battles is because it's tough pairing just two Pokémon that compliment each other. I think 3v3 will work way better than doubles.

It'll also play more like traditional RPG's where you have full parties to work with. This makes me think we'll see more cleric types like Blissey in the new gen.

I wonder if we'll get a Triples Battle version of Plusle and Minun...

Gear + Plusle + Minun = Super high power!??

@World

Sparking Wild Bolt
    Years
  • IMO it's a bit too crowded looking...
    But it'll be fun for sure :D . We'll need many new combos. I just hope there isn't a triple gym leader, taking on three annoying Pokémon isn't fun.
    Also how would that work in routes? You need three trainers to see you at the same time? Or like with the twins? hm...

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • IMO it's a bit too crowded looking...
    But it'll be fun for sure :D . We'll need many new combos. I just hope there isn't a triple gym leader, taking on three annoying Pokémon isn't fun.
    Also how would that work in routes? You need three trainers to see you at the same time? Or like with the twins? hm...

Me too. Tate and Liza is really giving me a headache too. Double Gym is a bit risky.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I think the increased possibilities mean people will get a big starting advantage. If you throw in 2 to 3 strong, you are well on your way to oblitirating them lol. I dunno. I think it will be fun.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2011
    Personally, I think it's pretty cool. I mean, considering you throw out half your team, it could make those battles go by even faster than double battles did. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a triple battle gym leader!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    Sending 3 against 3 at once doesn't sound right, it would be just too crowded...

On the other hand, a way they could make this awesome is that they allow you to send as many pokemon you'd like up to three.
    THAT is something I'd have wanted since RSE.

An even more interesting execution of that would be being able to send and recall pokemon mid-battle without necesary replacing. Turning ANY battle into a possible double, triple, or outnumbered battle, instead of being a silly gimmick that shows up a few times in-game. But that'd require some crazy rules as it could be broken very easilly.

hever

猿も木から落ちる
    Years
  • Golden Sun has it, and I'm guessing GF wanted to implement it to please different spectrums of preference.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Why do Pokemon battles in the style of Disgaea sound like such a good idea?

It's interesting, anyway. I'll have to try it before I have a real opinion.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    It should be quite good but I think it will also be very confusing, especially competitive battling

surf and earthquake hitting pokemon individually will be a nightmare on time and wat are we meant to do if EVERY POKEMON IN THE BATTLE has intimidate? i do not want to see "_____s intimidate lowers _____s attack" 30 times!

Last edited:

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
  • GF keeps adding more pokemon to the battlefield but they haven't given me the thing I've wanted since RBY--a fifth move slot. Before people say that would make it too easy, I know I heard a Golden Sun reference here or there. Count the moves you can do there...
    A 3-on-3 battle sounds like something I'd do for the novelty of it, but I hope it wouldn't be something forced too much in-game (ie: Eterna Forest, Stark Mountain etc...). Hopefully you can force singles battles like in DPP.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    if you had a good team you could pwn. how would the trainers look like. 3 peoples blocking your way.
    for friend battles it terrable, because half of your team could go down in a single hit. :(

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    I think this idea is great! GF has added this, and it's going to be a perfectly good attempt at balancing without Buffing/Nerfing already made moves and pokemon!

I assume there will be special moves to counter Earthquake and such. I think that this will make some pokemon a little more effective in battle (And with the guesses om moves, I think there will be a class of pokemon that primarily use moves that heal and defend!) and probably mean that battles get a little more interesting.

Also, I assume all the whiners are like that because their team might not be as good, and they'll have to rebuild their winning stratagy.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I like the idea but if only you battle 3vs3 on some important moments, a gym battle, a fight with team rock...with the new villans, the battle for the championship, etc.

Back