• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Day 2 - Your favorite character

Favorite character...I guess I'll go with Dark Voice from StarCraft II. I don't really have an exact reason for it, but I find it fascinating with him and Narud behind the culmination of the hybrids. Looking forward to what truly happens in Legacy of the Void.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
    Years
    (Gonna do both cause I can)

Day 1 - Very First Video Game
    That's hard. Um.....Pokemon Channel,XD: Gale of Darkness,Colosseum,Super Smash Bros. Melee or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle might be my first one. Can't remember.

SH*T! That's a hard choice. Okay,let's see.......I can't decide! There's too many that I like!
    Well,for a favorite female character,I would say either Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII,Elizabeth from Persona 3 or Rachel Alucard from Blazblue.

For a favorite male character,I would say either Hope from Final Fantasy XIII,Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII,Theodore from Persona 3,Dark Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising,or N from Pokemon: Black and White.

Again,can't choose. They're all so great! Oh,and there's more than the ones I mentioned. This is so hard,shooting myself might be the most easiest choice!

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    I like doing these, so I'll give it a whirl. I hope it's no problem if I do two days in one, as well!

Day 1: Very First Video Game
    I'm a younger sibling, so there was already an SNES, N64, and a ton of games in the household before I was born. But I'm pretty sure either Yoshi's Island or Diddy Kong Racing was the first game I ever played, and I still own both games and their respective consoles to this day.

Day 2: Favorite Character
    I have so many that it's really tough to decide on just one - not helped by the fact that some of my favorites with anything are prone to changing. If I can choose a group of characters in general, they'd be the Robot Masters from the [Classic/first] Mega Man series. And out of the robots, my favorites are Elec Man, Time Man, and Chill Man, along with plenty of others that would be too numerous to list.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm supposed to be on break, but I had to sign on and start this so that I don't get too far behind!

Day 1: Alli's first game
    To be technical here, I don't exactly know what my first game was. My grandmother had an SNES with Dr. Mario and Tetris and Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, both of which are game carts with more than one game. That being said though, to narrow it down to just one game overall, I'm going with Super Mario Bros. 3 as it was my first favorite game of all the games I had the chance to play first. I remember being three and loving it because...I was three...so was it...we had a lot in common, right? I loved the music, the overworlds, the power ups, the "toot" (magic flute), and I especially loved making other people play it for me so I could watch! Ha!

Day 2 - Alli's favorite character
    THIS PRECIOUS BABBU. If you were expecting anyone else, then you don't know me. lol To explain or to not explain...I guess I will. Jak is just a really enjoyable and entertaining character to me. He doesn't talk in his first game, but his facial expressions and sweet dance skills are perfect enough to give you enough understanding of his character. We see more development from him in the next games which go in ways different than one might expect after playing the first game, but I think they work. He is still the same goofball at heart and I love him for that. But he's tough and rugged...as if we need more of those, but still, I think he stands out. He's a literal tough cookie. Tough to crack, more grit than you'd want in that bite, but still there's a sweetness. Comparing characters to cookies...that's my life.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Day 2 - Your favorite character.

....Yeah, that's not a difficult question at all.

I suppose I'll dig deep into my childhood for this one -- I've always had a soft spot for Yoshi.
    They come in so many pretty colors, several of which I have on the shelf above my bed.

Spoiler:

He has almost always been my first pick in Smash. Growing up, I couldn't live without him in the first Super Mario World.. and then I consequently fell in love with SMW2: Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story.

There are so many damn games, lol, and with that there's so many wonderful characters to choose from.. but Yoshi is just too freakin' cute, he'll always be my favorite. c:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years

An easy choice. Auron from Final Fantasy X. He was the first character I remember having a voice and an actual character instead of simply being something that was just made and thrown in a video game. And even when I was playing the demo for FFX way back when he seemed like such a badass. And then after I spent nearly 1000 hours playing FFX and at least 50 hours playing over the same 10 minute demo for just about a year before actually buying the game it was just ingrained into my mind that this guy is the best thing ever.

pkmin3033

Looks like I'm kicking off Day #3 as well =p

Day 3 - A game that is underrated

I've said it before, but the first game that comes to my mind that says "underrated" is NieR. Criminally so. Released in the shadow of FFXIII, this was everything it wasn't: fun to play, emotionally charged, with a fantastic cast and some pretty shocking plot twists. It was also horrific in the graphics department, but that never mattered less in a game than it did here. It also has the greatest soundtrack ever conceived, which is the one and only department in which it has received praise from biased mainstream media channels who clearly didn't look past the graphics to see the diamond of a game lurking beneath it. NieR is tragically underrated, and it deserves better.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    It's still Day 2 for me!

I love this little guy! Diddy Kong is one of the best characters of all time in my opinion. I love his interactions with the other Kongs and have always found him extremely cool. He's still my favorite monkey to this day!

Years

Oh man, what can I say other than this game was amazing. The characters were memorable, there were funny parts throughout the game, and it was very engaging. Sure the story was a bizarre as a dog marrying some sunglasses, but it had a old timey charm to it. I was glad to hear it was going on the Wii U as a download.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    No kidding I was thinking of doing this for the Anime/Manga section a few days ago and never got round to it xD

Bit late so I'll chuck up yesterday's and today's entries.

Day 1 - Very first video game.

Jump Start Kindergarden

This is sort of a tough one but I guess you could count this one.
    You know those parents who'd get educational games for their kids.. yeah I was one of those kids.
    My mum got me a huge case of the Jump Start series from Kindergarden to Grade 6 (I think). I don't remember why but these games were my life. Grade 3 (I think) was my favourite, but I really remember there was a lot of things I enjoyed playing in Jump Start Kindergarden. From growing crops like farmville to some shape tetris game and at the end of the day, if I got enough stars I'd get to take a picture with one of the farm animals this kindergarden conveniently had.

More or less at the end of the day, my aim in life was to collect star stickers and take pictures with animals.

If that doesn't count, Pokemon Crystal would have been my first game​

After seeing one of my childhood friends own a Gameboy Color and a version of Pokemon Yellow, I was curious to what it was because I had never seen it before. He'd let me play a bit of it and from that small bit I played I was hooked. I asked my mum to ask Santa if I could have one, and what did I get that next Christmas? Pokemon Crystal and a gameboy advance!

Beat - JSR

It incredibly tough to say, but for the heck of it I'm going to pick Beat from Jet Set Radio generally because I love to play him the most. Just a runaway trickster who founded the GG's in the original JSR game and in the second game he steals the Goddess of Dogenzaka Hill and causes a blackout at 99th street. I love him for his mischief and along side that he is a talented skater and graff artist.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Day 3 - A game that is underrated.
    Going with the same game I wrote about in the underrated games thread a while back -

RULE OF ROSE

(via)

Rule of Rose is often criticized for its buggy combat, and because of the flaws in its gameplay and how frustrating it can be, the things that it does well tend to get overlooked. It's a shame because the concept is so unique, and the plot was very well written, though the game doesn't exactly hold your hand through the story and explain it to you. It's mostly told through cryptic narration (in the form of twisted children's storybooks), and you really have to pay attention to the details and symbolism in your surroundings to piece together what is actually going on in the game, which I find fascinating, and it's totally worth it because the true story is quite poignant and unsettling. Also, the music is hauntingly beautiful.

Like I said in the other thread, as a game with undeniably bad gameplay, it obviously does fail on some level and doesn't deserve a great rating, but it's just a shame that everything else it does well is often dismissed because of that aspect.

Last edited:

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years

Descent: Freespace series. One of the best space-sim games during its time, and yet it was never truly known worldwide. Even to this day, I label this as one of the most memorable games I've played in my gaming career.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, what qualifies as an underrated game....?

Well, to put something down, it's not so much underrated as it is niche, but the Disgaea series. Or really just the stuff Nippon Ichi makes in general.

Iiiiif I can think of a better answer I'll edit but that'll probably not happen

Yukari

Nier
    is the first game to come to mind. Sure, it has horrible graphics, but The game is fun,the soundtrack just might be the best soundtrack in a video game ever, and it has a really good story.

It's a shame it got so much flak from critics.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

I usually go with the Baten Kaitos games when this question comes up. Two overlooked games for the Gamecube, that really deserve a spot with some of the other high profiled games on the system. The games have their flaws, like the VA's (particularly in the first game). but it has arguably Sakuraba's best work, along with some of the most beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds. That game had some pretty awesome design to it; with some of the cities being the most imaginative I've seen in any game. Story in both were engaging, and while the card battle system can take awhile to get use (especially in the second game) it's pretty fast flowing and fun.

But hey, they did get a song included in the lastest SSB game, so I guess it's a start. {XD}

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Underrated game...?

I will say Zero Escape series once again. People tend to bash it because it's a VN, even though it has deep storyline and probably one of the best puzzles I've ever seen in a game.

Years

I have no idea which games i play that are underrated. I guess Strife? Only example i can think of

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Ah, another day of not having an answer. But I will go with a character I quite enjoy from a game I'm currently playing to make up for it. Disgaea 4's protagonist, Valvatorez, is one of the most unique protagonists that NIS has managed to spit out. He's a role model for what a demon should be without being stereotypically evil. Unlike Laharl, who was a malicious demon bent on defending his throne, and Mao, who summoned a hero to the Netherworld for the sole purpose of stealing his humanity to become stronger (and, in turn, slowly turning the hero into a demon), Valvatorez is a chivalrous demon that isn't particularly "good" or "evil", and with good reason. He believes that demons need to be a symbol of fear for humans, but that's all. He has no desire to kill or take over anything- after all, he's a mere Prinny Instructor, and he takes pride in that fact.

This is what makes him so interesting. He's chivalrous and really only cares about upholding and protecting the state of the netherworld, and those that he allies himself with he makes damn sure will stay safe (due to his manifisto of never breaking a promise, hence the game's subtitle). He's a hero to some extent but he has no problem with the fact. And yet, despite all this, he never feels like a human or a Lawful Good demon forced into an evildoer's shoes. His reasons for doing anything and everything is justifiably within demon law, and while even characters within the story seem to question his morals, it's no wonder why his party is so loyal to him. He may not be my favorite character in general or even in Disgaea, but he certainly does make an impression as a likable protagonist.

Underrated? Hm...I'm going to have to go with Time Hollow. For those who don't know, Time Hollow is a DS Adventure game about a kid who gets a pen that, when used, can open a pocket in time. From there, the player would alter things in the past and change the present as a result. These "things" could range from minor alterations to death, and their affects on the future tended to be major more often than not (thanks to the butterfly effect and whatnot).

It wasn't the best adventure game, but if I were a more review-savvy gamer and based my purchase on the reviews it got, I would have avoided that game like the plague. It's a shame, really, because it has a nice concept and and pretty good execution as well. The main character looks a bit generic and the characters aren't as memorable as those from, say, Ace Attorney, but they're far from bad or boring, and the game itself is a good length.

Back