• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Day 8 - Best soundtrack

I think this is also something else I've often praised in my posting in VG haha. But anyway, my pick for this day is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The tracks for all of the dungeons in this game are astounding. They really lend a hand to making the experience more atmospheric and you feel like you're really in the Goron Mines, the Lakebed Temple, or the City in the Sky. The music literally puts you right in those places. Then let's talk about the boss battle music! I love having different themes for each boss. While I do appreciate games with one general boss battle theme, having each boss paired with a different track really gives them more depth and personality I feel. For example, the track in Fyrus' battle goes well with his movements in the opening cinematic for the fight. All the boss fights feature a triumphant piece when you're landing blows on the boss as well and that makes it feel like you're really accomplishing something there. I love it. And then of course there's all your overworld themes and your character themes, like the well known Midna's Lament. But I'll leave it all at that before I gush too much.

Alli's top TP tracks:
    Fyrus
    Midna's Lament
    Lakebed Temple
    Malo Mart

Honorable mention to Chrono Trigger which is the first game I've actually made a conscious effort to get a physical copy of the soundtrack. It's amazing as well and I can't think of a single track that I dislike.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Day 8: Best soundtrack.

Pretty simple answer for me. It's been about 15 years since I played Chrono Cross, and to this day it's still my favorite video game OST of all time. It undoubtedly nurtured my love for video game music, and I've yet to hear tracks contain the amount of emotion that this game invokes. It feels that without voice acting to display and convey emotion, the burden is left to the music, and Mitsuda did a masterful job here (as with CT).

Some personal favorites:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    A week late so I'll put Day 1 to Day 7 in spoilers

Spoiler:

Day 8 - Best Soundtrack

Sonic Heroes (GCN/PS2/XBOX)

Not counting the cheesy as fuck Crush 40 themes, this game has a outstanding soundtrack that always fitted the situation and the overall upbeat nature of the game.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    Day 7 - Favorite video game couple

I can't remember any games I've played where there was a developed, canon pairing in the story/series. Though after thinking some more, I did remember SonAmy from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. I know that one is a bit of an unpopular opinion with some, but I really like those two even though I know a friend of mine can't stand that ship. It seems like SonAmy fans might have their way in the end, if the rumors/teases that Sonic Boom might make the pairing canon [to that continuity, anyhow] become true.

Day 8 - Best sountrack

Ooh, super tough... There are so many games I've played that have had amazing OSTs. If I can pick a series as a whole, though, my vote would be tied between Sonic the Hedgehog (especially Adventure 1) and the original Mega Man games. I can't choose, because both have really lovely musical selections that I just enjoy listening to.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Day 8: Best soundtrack.

I don't want to be that guy who just keeps posting Final Fantasy, but I'm just going to keep posting Final Fantasy because it's true. Final Fantasy X (original not remastered) has the best soundtrack imo. I'm sure there's other games that might have a little bit better soundtrack, but I either haven't played them or they weren't good enough to remember. So deal with it.

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
    Day 9 - Saddest game scene.

While not tear-jerking, I'm giving the nod to the first Kingdom Hearts for when Sora used the Keyblade on himself to release Kairi's Heart

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years

Once again, something from the Walking Dead is stealing the show.

Either this...
    Spoiler: Season 1 Spoiler

I freakin' miss Lee.

or this...
    Spoiler: Season 2 Spoiler

Couldn't leave Kenny. Bros for life and Clem backed him most of the time.

Years

I remember the scene in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword when Zelda finally explained who the heck she was and how she was going to sacrifice herself by going into some serious deep sleep (like thousands for years sleep) to prevent Demise from resurrecting himself as quickly as he could. Like that was a very emotional scene and my eyes were sorta forming tears, but my bros were in the room as well as my dad so I had to suck it up and act as cool about it as I could.

[ythd]1WfLojq2BBQ[/ythd]

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Day 9, Saddest game scene

When it comes to choosing the saddest game scene, I would have to go with the death of Sargent Johnson in Halo 3. What makes his death so sad is that not only was he one of the few characters to appear in Halo Combat Evolved to Halo 3, he was also a fan favorite. Plus when adding in the books, he was the only Human to not only see the end of the Human Covenant War, but also the start of it. Plus he was also a
    Spoiler:

Yukari

You are genuinely stupid if you didn't think I was going to post this. But Aerith's death in Final Fantasy 7 is easily the saddest moment in video games for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Day 9 - Saddest game scene

Honestly, nearly every major plot point in Mother 3 gets me sobbing every time, but I always dread Chapter 6 - Sunflower Fields. I'm pretty sure it's only there to make me cry. It doesn't have any fights. No new enemies, no major plot progression, and it's the shortest chapter in the game. Lucas and Boney land in a field of sunflowers and Lucas sees his mother in them, as they are her favorite flower. Then you've got your Love Theme kicking in and he runs out to reach her and...chapter 7.

But I will say, the final battle in the game always has me drowning in my own tears, so I'd say they're on par with each other. ...Okay, well, I'm gonna go cry now.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    or this...
    Spoiler: Season 2 Spoiler

Couldn't leave Kenny. Bros for life and Clem backed him most of the time.

YEAH you're like the only other person I've talked to about this game that actually likes Kenny too. I got the same ending as you, all the feels.

Day 8 - Best Soundtrack.
    I'm gonna step away from the Squeenix games a bit for this one since I've included them in quite a few of my answers already, and I think it's fairly well known they have good music. c:

TO THE MOON

In general, I'm a bigger fan of melodic/atmospheric tracks as opposed to battle music from OSTs - I like those too, I just find that when I'm not in game, I'm not very likely to pull up a battle theme to just listen to, but I do tend to listen to the quieter, orchestral or piano/acoustic pieces from games when I'm just sitting around.

This is not the most dynamic of OSTs with lots of variation or anything, but for the reason that I love every single track on it and will listen to the entire thing beginning to end repeatedly and still get chills from it, I'd say this is one of my favorites. It's so beautifully put together that I think it would be enjoyable even if you haven't played the game, especially if you like this kind of orchestral music. I said that there isn't a lot of variation, but that's not to say each piece isn't distinct from one another - they're all pretty 'soft' pieces, but unlike a lot of games that recycle the same theme or riff using different instruments and beats, they really took the time to compose all these different songs to fit each scene, and it works really well in-game and out.

I really want to shut up about this game but I honestly can't think of another scene that made me sadder than this, so, same answer as mage Zero

ZACK'S FINAL STAND / ZACK'S DEATH

I don't think it's a huuge spoiler since I've had this very scene in my signature for the past couple weeks, and as the game's a prequel to FFVII mostly everyone that plays or intends to play it goes in knowing exactly how Zack's story ends, but spoiler tagging anyway just in case and it's long af again

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Spoiler:

fixed your links for you. the

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Day 9 - Saddest game scene

Not to jump on the FF bandwagon, but I remember getting pretty damn emotional as a kid at the FFX ending. Particularly Yuna whistling in vain by the shore. ;-; I was left with an empty feeling for a couple days, lol.

Back