• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

300,000 User Milestone! - Celebration Ideas?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I'm just gonna go ahead and vote that we call all of them "unofficial" because while I can totally vouch that Kura won't kidnap you and hold you for ransom, I don't know/trust other members to that extent. :P Not that I'm saying it would happen, but meeting people you only know online in an offline setting can indeed be dangerous. It's fine to set up unofficial gatherings or get-togethers among your friends (not like we can stop it), but I'd just worry about calling them official ones since if anything happens, that's kind of a big responsibility for staff. :(

I like meeting people from PC and encourage others to do it if they're comfortable with it so I think IRL get-togethers are a good idea, I just want everyone to be safe about it and I don't think it's something the staff needs to get involve with at all, unless they are going to show up to one as members. :P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm member 334,835 of 300,000...wait, that doesn't seem right...

Okay so Went and I just decided that we're going to do like a look back at PC over the last 5 years (because we can't get screenshots back from any further) of like things in between and every major event/change/interesting thing, since then, and we're going to make an album of it AND THEN we will release it on PC anniversary celebrations for y'all to see. n_n But for that we kind of need screenshots throughout the last few years and earlier than 2007 if possible from anyone because it'll really help us. We haven't really planned that much ahead other than it'll be on some online hosting thing for everyone to see lmao.

So ya, that's what we're gunna do. I figured cause it's relevant to this "celebrations" idea, it'd be the place to mention it and if y'all have stuff to contribute let us know!!
    Try using the Internet Archive. Here is November 29, 2002. As long as a page, an image, or whatever the media in question is is archived, it's there. In fact, another Web site went down in the last couple of years that had a program I liked on it; I found the download archived permanently in the Internet Archive and got the program on this computer. Comes in quite handy.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm member 334,835 of 300,000...wait, that doesn't seem right...

Try using the Internet Archive. Here is November 29, 2002. As long as a page, an image, or whatever the media in question is is archived, it's there. In fact, another Web site went down in the last couple of years that had a program I liked on it; I found the download archived permanently in the Internet Archive and got the program on this computer. Comes in quite handy.

Cyclone

Well while that can work, it kinda doesn't have all the specific stuff that can't easily be found. You'd need to look through 500 different things to remember a certain event you may have forgotten a date of, whereas the screenshots show it all in an easy archive without navigating that. We'd much rather have things that specific members thought was important enough to take note of :3

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • The Web Archive isn't a completely reliable source either. I think you'll have to have been on a page from the archive for it to take a snapshot of it, and that's mostly the index. And in the case I'm wrong, there's still the question of what of it we would need.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • The archive and CloudFlare page in my experience has only caches the front page (/index.php) so unless you're going for main styles I'm afraid the Wayback Machine and stuff aren't gonna be too useful.

Though I'm tots fine with only things dating back to 2007 - I only came around Apr 2011 in seaech of RH so 2007 is enough of a trip for me if that's all you can manage. However if you could go all the way back to the first editon of PC (Ikonboard, you said?) that would be wonderfullies ^^ and oh! Tell us newbies where PC came from...someone mentioned pe2k, what's that? Why'd we split?

Of course this could be asked to one of the older members but a group retelling would be so much more fun ^^

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    The archive and CloudFlare page in my experience has only caches the front page (/index.php) so unless you're going for main styles I'm afraid the Wayback Machine and stuff aren't gonna be too useful.
    That might be true of forums, for sure. However, just to give an example, going to this page (actual Web page) and clicking the download link fails, while going to this link (download link, don't click unless you've seen the first link and actually want that thing) will allow you to download the exact file from that broken link on the live page. So yes, things off of the front page can also be archived. You might decide you want to take a regular site down in a few months but want it always available, you can request backups of whatever you want backed up and it'll be there forever (if anyone remembers the site URL). Almost like free hosting, you can even include the link in a blog or something.

Of course, I don't encourage doing this with a Web site as who knows if they will clean out stuff years from now to free server space, thus removing your archive. Just saying it can be done.

Cyclone

(Requility, feel free to edit the second link out if you want, I'll rewrite if you don't want that link here so as to not need the link.)

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • How about I become an admin and then control PC like Lerroux xD
    I don't know if this has been said but how about a top 5/10 favorite forum backgrounds like Nimbasas Shining Beauty and other stuff like that. Sorry, this is all I got. :)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I dont know if it's been said already, I didn't read the other ideas, but why not have a sort of archive page or sub forum? It could be the forum equivalent of a museum? We'd have a timeline, perhaps snapshots of different scenarios, a page full of former staff, etc?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I'm just gonna go ahead and vote that we call all of them "unofficial" because while I can totally vouch that Kura won't kidnap you and hold you for ransom, I don't know/trust other members to that extent. :P Not that I'm saying it would happen, but meeting people you only know online in an offline setting can indeed be dangerous. It's fine to set up unofficial gatherings or get-togethers among your friends (not like we can stop it), but I'd just worry about calling them official ones since if anything happens, that's kind of a big responsibility for staff. :(

I like meeting people from PC and encourage others to do it if they're comfortable with it so I think IRL get-togethers are a good idea, I just want everyone to be safe about it and I don't think it's something the staff needs to get involve with at all, unless they are going to show up to one as members. :P

Yeah fair enough. The only reason why I thought it would be nice to actually plan something (official or unofficial) is.. because most times you never know who's close enough to just say hi. Like for example, when Abnegation invited CatDog over and then extended his invitation to Drakow when he asked. Now going to someone's house is way more personal and a whole other story but.. if there was a thread about it, then it might be nice for some Pokecommunity members to meet and become friends.

I figure making a thread in one of the sections, whether it be the anime section or announcements or something.. that October MCM expo in London is a good meeting place. Security is there, and there are hotel discounts (if people want to travel a bit farther) and a lot going on, too. It can be something that's more safe, and if someone feels uncomfortable and wants to leave, they can still enjoy their day at the expo and not feel like they are "stuck" in the middle of the city not knowing where to go. They also don't need to pay for any expo ticket unless they specifically want to go into the merchandise area (unlike some other cons) so it sounds good to me.

Because you know me, too. I'm a tiny girl. I have to think about safety, too. Everyone does, and everyone needs to look out for themselves and the people around them- because obviously even randomers can be a hazard, not just PC members. But every meetup I've had has been great so.. I figured why not extend that invitation, right?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • I dont know if it's been said already, I didn't read the other ideas, but why not have a sort of archive page or sub forum? It could be the forum equivalent of a museum? We'd have a timeline, perhaps snapshots of different scenarios, a page full of former staff, etc?
    Yeah, that sounds like a wonderful idea! I've seen that you can lock forums once you're done with them, so why not do a temporary sub-forum for Community Announcements (or something) while we're at it and doing other things to celebrate? Because I tell you, 10 years is a big enough deal to warrant an entire forum :3

Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    This subforum should definitely have a '10 years ago' photo thread, where users post photos of themselves/something they were doing 10 years ago.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Hm. I'm not that sure I have any photos from 2002 :P

But yeah, sounds like a great idea! It could be like the Post your Pics thread in the OC&D but for the past. And the DCC equivalent could be the place to tell stories :P

And then on top of that, you have the normal Get-Together which would be nice :D so much partying to be done

ash_pikachu_98

Prince of Pokemon
    Years
  • Yeah fair enough. The only reason why I thought it would be nice to actually plan something (official or unofficial) is.. because most times you never know who's close enough to just say hi. Like for example, when Abnegation invited CatDog over and then extended his invitation to Drakow when he asked. Now going to someone's house is way more personal and a whole other story but.. if there was a thread about it, then it might be nice for some Pokecommunity members to meet and become friends.

I figure making a thread in one of the sections, whether it be the anime section or announcements or something.. that October MCM expo in London is a good meeting place. Security is there, and there are hotel discounts (if people want to travel a bit farther) and a lot going on, too. It can be something that's more safe, and if someone feels uncomfortable and wants to leave, they can still enjoy their day at the expo and not feel like they are "stuck" in the middle of the city not knowing where to go. They also don't need to pay for any expo ticket unless they specifically want to go into the merchandise area (unlike some other cons) so it sounds good to me.

Because you know me, too. I'm a tiny girl. I have to think about safety, too. Everyone does, and everyone needs to look out for themselves and the people around them- because obviously even randomers can be a hazard, not just PC members. But every meetup I've had has been great so.. I figured why not extend that invitation, right?

Regarding your idea, what would you think of maybe a custom Google Map where each user enters a pinpoint with their zip code? Or for an even broader radius, their area code. The map pin would be titled with the individuals tPC username and from there the rest is pretty straight up. Thoughts?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Regarding your idea, what would you think of maybe a custom Google Map where each user enters a pinpoint with their zip code? Or for an even broader radius, their area code. The map pin would be titled with the individuals tPC username and from there the rest is pretty straight up. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about that cause that would be infringing on privacy, but maybe the zip code of the potential meeting area would be.. and then see if people can make it.

For example, I was planning it in late October 26/27 here while the anime expo is going on:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=exce...ter&hnear=London,+United+Kingdom&z=12&iwloc=A

I figured, make a thread about it a bit closer to the date.. say it's an unofficial PC meetup with some other info about like.. stays, hotels, risks for younger people wanting to come, etc. And then just seeing if people can make it like that.

ash_pikachu_98

Prince of Pokemon
    Years
  • I'm not sure about that cause that would be infringing on privacy, but maybe the zip code of the potential meeting area would be.. and then see if people can make it.

For example, I was planning it in late October 26/27 here while the anime expo is going on:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=exce...ter&hnear=London,+United+Kingdom&z=12&iwloc=A

I figured, make a thread about it a bit closer to the date.. say it's an unofficial PC meetup with some other info about like.. stays, hotels, risks for younger people wanting to come, etc. And then just seeing if people can make it like that.

Well keep in mind the data would be user generated, so it's not like a staffer or something would enter it for anyone without consent.

Perhaps instead of using zip codes and postal codes, why not just say what city in which they reside in general? That way, you're not giving away specific details. Then, people that are in those cities can plan a get-together location.

GBAtemp had a similar idea where users posted their cities of residence and they plotted it out on a Google map. Perhaps we can do the same thing to plan out events in our cities, provided there are enough people in the area.

Using cities isn't a bad idea. I actually intentionally suggested area code instead just because I personally see that as more recognizable than some cities even right around me. For me 813, 727, and 863 cover at least a 60 square mile area with tons of cities included in them, yet I'd recognize those three numbers a lot more easily than some non major cities. Similar to with zip code, that covers a pretty wide area so if someone thought even that was too narrow of a location for their personal preference then they likely wouldn't be someone opting to take part in the first place.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Nyeh, the google maps thing sounds cool regardless of wether I'm going or not. I remember a poll once in the CQ&F like that, that was closed because it was deemed "inappropriate" or sumtin'. Now, an anniversary rolls around, that's a good time to bring that back!

Using cities isn't a bad idea. I actually intentionally suggested area code instead just because I personally see that as more recognizable than some cities even right around me. For me 813, 727, and 863 cover at least a 60 square mile area with tons of cities included in them, yet I'd recognize those three numbers a lot more easily than some non major cities. Similar to with zip code, that covers a pretty wide area so if someone thought even that was too narrow of a location for their personal preference then they likely wouldn't be someone opting to take part in the first place.
    Usually here where I live we call "area codes" instead "counties". For example, I live in Contra Costa, which then has Alameda as one of their sub-counties, etc. The more you know.

Annnyyyyways how about letting them choose? If you don't feel comfortable giving out your address, you could give them your zip code. Then, if you feel that that's too small, give them your city, county, state, and then finally your country? That way nobody feels obligated to reveal their privacy, and most likely more people will tell us, given that we don't require exact locations?

Last edited:

ash_pikachu_98

Prince of Pokemon
    Years
  • Annnyyyyways how about letting them choose? If you don't feel comfortable giving out your address, you could give them your zip code. Then, if you feel that that's too small, give them your city, county, state, and then finally your country? That way nobody feels obligated to reveal their privacy, and most likely more people will tell us, given that we don't require exact locations?

Bam. Simple as that. I like it. The graphical illustration is still present while letting the user just choose a preferred option themselves. Again, not necessarily an idea specifically particular for a meetup/celebration/etc, but a nifty concept in general to work toward in the future.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • What if we encouraged a 300,000 user milestone theme competition? I think it would help get some of the newer members get creatively involved. Then, whomever has the best one (decided by the community as a whole, like voting or something) will have their theme available to choose from in the theme selector. Just my idea, though.

Back