• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] 32Mb rom advantage

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2015
    Is there any advantage using a 32Mb rom for hacks? Is XSE exist a tool that double the size of the ROM and i'm thinking if it would be good for a great hack.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    All the GBA pokemon roms (well, perhaps except for Emerald) have more than enough free space on their own so expanding them isn't necessary (unless you plan on building something crazy (like a game inside a game) that tools such as XSE aren't capable of).

For example, > 50% of the data of a FireRed rom is "empty" (filled with 0 bits). And the used data (< 50%) contains all the in-game functions - not just the maps, scripts or graphics. So running out of free space shouldn't be possible (even if the same scripts were multiplied inside the rom like XSE probably does).

Most of this won't probably make much sense right now but I wrote it as an informative post for others too :)

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    Well, expanding is very useful if you plan on implementing major things, such as high-quality music or animations. Otherwise the available free space is more than enough.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2015
    So, i was planning on insert more than one region in my hack, and i need to create too many maps, if it reach the limits of the rom then i will need to expand?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
    So, i was planning on insert more than one region in my hack, and i need to create too many maps, if it reach the limits of the rom then i will need to expand?

Yes, and expanding isn't actually a bad thing. A lot of people look at it as a bad thing because the patching formats were unfortunately designed to only support 16MB ROMs. That and a lot of tools don't support it, despite the fact that expanding gives you an entire 16 extra Megabytes to work with, which is 2x more free space than without expanding. So my suggestion would be to fill up the first 16MB, then expand if needed.

Back