• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3D or 2D?

Which would you prefer?

• 3D

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • 2D

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters

PokemonPichu

A pichu messing with glitches
    Years
    I would prefer 2D for Pokemon D/P. The game would have space for all the regions made: Kanto, Jotho, Hoenn, Orre, and even the Sevii Islands if it was 2D. Also the games would look better in 2D espannally on the DS. (The screen is too small...)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'd like it to be 2-D. Handheld Pokemon games NEED to be 2-D ...the 3D games aren't as fun... well...they might be if GameFreak made them...T-T

Anyhoo, I heard that Diamond and Pearl will stay with the 2-D graphics.
    Improve on them a bit, but keep them 3-D.

I'm curious to see how Pokemon will work with the touch-screen.

DarkThunder

!\X/=|Zap|=\X/!
    Years
    Drew said:
    I'd like it to be 2-D. Handheld Pokemon games NEED to be 2-D ...the 3D games aren't as fun... well...they might be if GameFreak made them...T-T

Anyhoo, I heard that Diamond and Pearl will stay with the 2-D graphics.
    Improve on them a bit, but keep them 3-D.

I'm curious to see how Pokemon will work with the touch-screen.
    Game Freak=2D
    Genius Sinority=3D
    Seeing as it's for Nintendo DS I wonder if they could make it 2D.It seem's to me that the chances are 2D 25% and 3D 75%.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    3D is cooler IMO. It's just the lame animation some of the pogeymonz get. Like Dratini for example.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
    2D until they can get cell shaded graphics on a handheld consol while still giving a long game.

ouendan

Video Game Nut
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2006
    I want a cel-shaded Pokemon game. Namco and Activision has proven that cel-shading can work on the DS. Either that or 2D Pokemon/Characters with 3D environments. Thought I know Game Freak will likely make it all 2D.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Cel shaded isn't all too good in games IMO. I mean the Wind Waker kinda lost some points because it featured cel-shaded figures. And the way pokemon have been depicted the last few years, a cel-shading touch-up might look a little screwed.

Nintendo freak

Pineapples!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 26, 2008
    Possible they'll make the graphics kinda like Paper Mario or and M & L PiT, like using mostly 2D, but a few 3D every once in a while.

ouendan

Video Game Nut
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2006
    Synchronize said:
    Cel shaded isn't all too good in games IMO. I mean the Wind Waker kinda lost some points because it featured cel-shaded figures. And the way pokemon have been depicted the last few years, a cel-shading touch-up might look a little screwed.
    I think Pokemon is more suited for cel-shading then Zelda ever was. While I love the art style of WW and really think it's better then the art for Twilight Princess, there is no doubt it hurt the series because it had more of a sense of realism, especially compared to Pokemon which is already looked upon as "kiddy" by the masses.

Besides that there is also the fact that cel-shading has gotten much better use since WW, like in Shin Megami Tensei and even the recent Tony Hawk American Sk8land on the DS which are games that people didn't frown upon because it was using cel-shading.

That said my real wish is just for the environments to use some sort of 3D engine, preferrably one involving cel-shading, while keeping the sprites for characters and pokemon. I think the idea could work very well with Pokemon. But things don't always look as good as they do on paper do they? :laugh:

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2006
    Personally im not worried. The 2D works fine. But the issue is battles. If they stick with the current battle formula, im sick of watching still images, or hardly animated images, just sit there while generic slashes and animations lay on them and they shake. Its stupid. Thats the problem caused by sprites, since it is far too difficult to do mass spriting (such as animating every move for every pokemon)

Instead, the perfect solution would be the current overworld (2D) with 3D cel shaded battle screens (that actually animate and contact each other with attacks)

mewtwo-EX

The original EX
    Years
    I'm hoping for 2D overworld, but similar to Ranger or GoldenSun. I think it's time they lost the top down look where people are all heads. The GoldenSun (dungeon) style for the whole game would be teh awsomeness. I would really like to see 3D pokemon with 2D effects for battle. The 3D models with 2D GFX worked well in Sonic Rush, I think it would mesh with pokemon nicely.

Years
    3D enviroment with 2D charecters sounds like a realy good idea to me. if that isn't used, then the kind of graphics that are on pokemon ranger would suffice.

and what does cell-shading look like? like could somebody post a pic of what it looks like? sorry, but i never even seen wind waker:nervous: .

ouendan

Video Game Nut
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2006
    vonboy said:
    3D enviroment with 2D charecters sounds like a realy good idea to me. if that isn't used, then the kind of graphics that are on pokemon ranger would suffice.

and what does cell-shading look like? like could somebody post a pic of what it looks like? sorry, but i never even seen wind waker:nervous: .
    Note: Tales of the Tempest is a much better representation of what cel-shading on the DS looks like. But there aren't any direct images of the game yet, so I posted the best I could find.

Wind Waker (GCN):
    3D or 2D?

Nocturne (PS2):
    3D or 2D?

Tony Hawk (NDS):
    3D or 2D?

Tales of the Tempest (NDS):
    3D or 2D?

Back