• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3rd gen jump to X and Y?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2013
    I haven't played Pokemon since 3rd gen... but I still love playing Emerald to this day, I am currently watching the Indigo League right now, and I've played half of Pearl as of now. Do you think I could just jump to X and Y or should I go through the games in between and learn all of the Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I mean, if you want. But its by no means necessary. I think you could learn all the Pokémon by going to Bulbapedia or Serebii.

Although, Black, White, B2, and W2 are all pretty fun.

PokemonCollector-N

Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • I would think that really depends on your capacity for enjoyment when you're not fully aware of all aspects of the game. Some people don't like playing a game when they don't know every Pokemon, their types, move pools, etc. Where as some people can go through a game not knowing any of that and have a great time all the same.

I guess it really comes down to what kind of player you are. You can always look up the list of Pokemon online and get caught up, or just rough it out and see how you fair in trying the games right away. I'd say, really, consider what you want to know within the game and then go from there. If you're okay not knowing every Pokemon right off the bat, I'd say definitely jump in. If you really want to know them all, you can play the games between or of course just look it all up online. There are some phenomenal databases for Pokemon out there.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If you want you can, but it's not necessary. I myself enjoyed Gen 3 itself even though I didn't play Gen I or II and it turned out to be fun...I realized just how many Pokémon I haven't seen even from the original 2 gens, it was really fun.

Nakala Pri

The Pokemon Data Base shows every single Pokemon, so you should be able to see 'em all and learn their stats and have a look at their sprites.

Do what you wanna do, don't let us stop you. :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    In my opinion, if you want to spend the extra money, go for it. W/B and W2/B2 are really good games, but if you skip the 5th generation, it won't ruin your experience in X and Y. It's not like things from earlier games come into important aspects of the story(Except for maybe Red, in G/S/C). If I was you, I would get X and Y, and then get the 5th generation games. It doesn't really affect how you view the games.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    You don't need to play the pokemon games in a particular order. I would encourage you to play a 5th gen game though but it's up to you.

Particularly if you want to migrate your emerald and pearl pokemon, without a 5th gen game it'll be impossible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    I don't blame you man, Emerald is my favourite game thus far too. The only things i've found to be very different between the older and current gens, are the amount of new moves and the physical/special split. There's also a considerable power creep from gen 3.

This is nothing major, but you will feel a little out of the loop if you skipped from gen 3 to gen 5 let alone straight to X and Y

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
  • What's cool about Pokemon is that you can jump right into it without much knowledge of prior generations, or no knowledge at all. While the other games in between 3rd generation and 6th generation are fun and all, you wouldn't really be missing that much by skipping out on them. You can either learn the Pokemon by experiencing them in the game, looking them up on the web, or both. I know that's what I'll be doing for the newer Pokemon once these games reach release.

Years
  • While the underlying mechanics between Gen III and Gen VI is vastly different, nobody should really have much trouble going from older Pokemon game to newer.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • What's cool about Pokemon is that you can jump right into it without much knowledge of prior generations, or no knowledge at all. While the other games in between 3rd generation and 6th generation are fun and all, you wouldn't really be missing that much by skipping out on them. You can either learn the Pokemon by experiencing them in the game, looking them up on the web, or both. I know that's what I'll be doing for the newer Pokemon once these games reach release.
    This. It's not like the Pokémon games have some over arching story like series like KH (which will leave on confused if one doesn't play them or google up the info from the previous games). One could even play B2W2 and enjoy it as it wasn't too focused on the prequel's story as one would think of a sequel.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I would wrap up Pearl, and then jump to X/Y.

In 4th generation, Platinum is basically the same thing as Diamond/Pearl but with a few extra additions (similar to how Emerald is for Ruby/Sapphire.) Personally, I don't think it's worth playing through Platinum if you already played Pearl.

Did you ever play Gold/Silver? Heartgold and Soulsilver are remakes of those games. I think you could skip these games. If you were to choose to play either Platinum or HG/SS, I'd say play HG/SS, but still you could skip these.

Generation 5 made a huge change. Whereas games like Platinum and Emerald are just D/P and R/S with modifications, Black and White 2 are sequels to Black and White. Remember how in Gold/Silver, you visited Kanto 2 years later to find how it changed? That's kind of what Black and White 2 does. Many people predict that Generation 6 (X/Y) might do the same thing.

So I'd say either: Finish Pearl (4th gen), jump straight to X/Y (6th gen)
    or: Finish Pearl (4th gen), play Black/White2 (5th gen), and then play X/Y (6th)

It kinda depends on how much free time you have to play pokemon. Sabrewulf made a very insightful point, that Emerald/Pearl pokemon cannot be transfered to 6th gen until they're transfered to 5th gen. (But then there's the possibility to consider that a friend could let you borrow their 5th gen game, purely for transfering purposes.)

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • While I'm personally a bit OCD about making sure I play the games in the order which they were released (although with D/P and B/W I didn't play either of them until a couple years after their initial release and honestly I still see a few Gen V Pokemon that I have no idea what they are because I rarely see them outside of gameplay), I don't think that skipping a generation or two will make a new game any less enjoyable.

If you are feeling compelled to play X&Y when they are released I completely encourage you to play them! :) I'm sure if you still enjoy Pokemon you will enjoy the new games regardless.

Back