• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Generation Storyline Questions.

Years
  • The arcs in the manga take place one after another because, well, it's a manga. And they have a separate canon from the games, so you can't just say "it happened in the manga" as evidence.

Gold/Kotone and Lucas/Dawn have corresponding adventures because the Red Gyarados is in the Lake of Rage at the start of DPPT.

Similarly, Red and Brendan/May correspond with each other because 1. it was stated by Nintendo (I think) and 2. unlike GSC and RBY, where you need a Time Machine to trade between the two heroes, you only need a long-distance trading machine to trade with R/S/E.

So it goes FRLG + RSE -> HGSS + DPPT

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think it's worth pointing out that while Johto and Sinnoh's storylines are roughly within the same timeframe, they're not completely paralleled. If you think about it, Sinnoh would actually start sometime in the middle of Johto's story. Consider:

*The beginning of Platinum features the Red Gyarados report, and soon after mentions it disappeared. So clearly Lucas/Dawn began their quest shortly after the player catches/defeats Red Gyarados in Johto.
    *Jasmine's appearance in Sinnoh means it's probably after she gets defeated by the Johto hero. After all, she has nothing better to do.

So while third-gen is probably all occurring at once, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is chronologically latest, but only by a little bit.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I think it's worth pointing out that while Johto and Sinnoh's storylines are roughly within the same timeframe, they're not completely paralleled. If you think about it, Sinnoh would actually start sometime in the middle of Johto's story. Consider:

*The beginning of Platinum features the Red Gyarados report, and soon after mentions it disappeared. So clearly Lucas/Dawn began their quest shortly after the player catches/defeats Red Gyarados in Johto.
    *Jasmine's appearance in Sinnoh means it's probably after she gets defeated by the Johto hero. After all, she has nothing better to do.

So while third-gen is probably all occurring at once, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is chronologically latest, but only by a little bit.

yes i agree with you and this have sense, unfortunelly we don´t have a specific time line to check how the events of the diferent games happened but this make them more fun too because we practically can create our world of pokemon and re-invent the history, jeje, well i think...

Years
  • Okay. Here is what happens in order of timeline, kay?

1. Hoenn events (R/S/E)
    Around a year or so...
    2. Kanto events (FR/LG)
    3 years later...
    3. Johto events (HG/SS)
    4. Sinnoh events (D/P/PT)

Same time, though the Johto events are already well on there way (the Red Gyrados event happens when you start your journey, and by the time you hit Sunnyshore the events in Johto are over, and Jasmine has come to the new region).

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2021
    From Steven's appearance along with Cynthia in HGSS, it's fairly safe to assume that Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh all take place about at the same time.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    3rd Generation Storyline Questions.

If you look between Johto and Hoenn, you can see the Battle Zone!!

And one of the islands just below Hoenn looks like the island for Ever Grande to be on

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    I accept with information:GSC/HGSS and DPPt take place the same time because of the Red Gyarados report at the start of D/P/Pt (which must've happened before Gold/Crystal/Kotone captures/defeats the Gyarados), references to Elm's recent report on eggs, etc. It's important to note that RGBY/FRLG and RSE had next to no Johto references.

Years
  • 3rd Generation Storyline Questions.

If you look between Johto and Hoenn, you can see the Battle Zone!!
    Although that piece of land looks similar, the Battle Zone is actually the southern tip of Russia's Sakhalin Island.

You can see Sakhalin located above Hokkaido/Sinnoh.
    Spoiler:

What does Steven's appearance have to do with the time line?
    That's what I don't understand either. :l

Last edited:
    Back