• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4Kids Files for Bankruptcy: American Fans Rejoice

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
Years
  • The US makes as much money with entertainment as they do with exporting of products, or any other kind of marketing. (do correct me if I am wrong) With the loss of any sort of entertainment company or franchise it shows just how bad the overall economy is.

They make HEAPS of money, you're definitely right. In Australia- I'm not kidding- a good 70% of our TV programmes and movies are all from the U.S. of A. Given that Australia is only a tiny square in terms of the "bigger picture," the fact that they managed to get into fiscal trouble is a sad indication of how badly the U.S. economy got stung.

If you truly have a problem with the dubs then simply watch a subbed version of it, turn the volume down all the way and read the text how you believe it should be read. Heck make a company and develop and dub your own versions of the anime you wish, if it is good then kudos to you I shall watch it and eat my words, if not then perhaps you will have a thread on a forum somewhere saying to rejoice your impending bankruptcy.

Oooh~ diss. Burrrrn. =) People are much better at complaining than being proactive.

I must agree, Lillipup is one of the cutest pokemon out there right now. I do wish that I could get a shiny one though.

I know, right?! I mean, maybe I should consider breeding my Stoutland, as there is a 1 in 1,000 or so chance. Which is much better than 8,000. SHINY LILLIPUP!

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Subsidiaries like The Pokémon Company International in New York sending money to their parent company, Nintendo, all the way in Redmond?

TPCi is acting almost like an independent company, yo. I doubt Nintendo of America is actually pocketing anything from these deals.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Pocket the money was meant to be a metaphor and not taken literally - obviously money directly from the deal will no go directly into the pocket of Nintendo, I imagine the setup is a bit more complicated than that, but they will of course experience the benefits and rewards from it.

Yes they act as an affliate with some discresetion and freedom from the main brand and they don't send they money daily to their parent company. But essentially they are wholly owned by Nintendo and such as that is, their success will reflect on Nintendo's final balance sheet. Are you trying to say that if they fail, that won't affect Nintendo?

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Well, FINALLY! :cer_boogie: I kept on wondering why people still gave them anime (namely Dinosaur King) after the One Piece fiasco. The potential job loss is saddening, though... And though has produced adequate products (namely, the Pokemon dub and TMNT 2003), they butcher way too much these days. I mean, regarding Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece, if you have to spend that much time and resources for editing and censorship, you might as well just grab another kids' cartoon altogether. There are different age demographics for a reason... >_>

They did surprise me when they began showing subbed Sonic X anime on their YouTube channel, though I'm unsure of how faithful it actually is to the original.

And now they're in trouble with the Japanese producers of Yu-Gi-Oh!...hopefully, excessive anime censorship will cease, with companies producing more faithful translations of anime, as Funimation has been doing as of late.

And I'm glad TPCi is actually preserving a lot, if not all of the Pokemon anime's original music and kanji, rather than appear as if they're trying to hide something. I mean, the kids are going to find out that Pokemon is from Japan eventually, and I have no idea what is wrong with utilizing game music in the English anime adaptation as well (though thanks to 4Kids' excessive reusing of music, Best Wishes' tracks seem somewhat peculiar in the dub during certain scenes where I'd expect 4Kids' music).

I hope this means that 4Kids' VAs will be less restrained in terms of work, though (i.e., Veronica Taylor).

I have to admit, nearly all of 4Kids' theme songs I've heard are quite catchy, Pokemon and non-Pokemon alike. And their Pokemon theme songs do seem to have more effort invested in them (particularly in catchiness and length) than the ones that have been produced by TPCi lately. :<

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    4kids dub of Pokemon and the voice actors are a million times better than what is on now. If Ash doesnt speak, its fine, but sense hes the main character its rare he has a limited speaking role in any show.

Didnt mind the edits either.. ANYONE with half a brain could see that the donuts were rice balls. I was 9 and I could see that and it didnt bother me one bit. I cant believe people are celebrating this.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years

• Srsly..
    That dosent matter -_-

4kids did do a better job at dubbing the tpci. More interesting dialogue, catchier theme songs.
    I had no idea of japaneese pokemon really till heartgold/soulsilver time. I dont care how much 4kids changed it. IT WAS GOOD.
    Kids wouldnt understand riceballs lmao. not like that matters anyways. They just made pokemon to like America. to fit?
    idek.
    Its sad, I wish 4kids still had pokemon. well im watching jap versions of BW too (tpci just made pokemon to kidish. kids dont even like pokemnon, least not her.) But 4kids was awesome. Loved hoenn <3 & BF.

Back