• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I'd of NEVER watched One Piece if I hadn't seen the 4kids dub, this is the same as a lot of my irl friends who also watch One Piece now.

But can't we agree that it could have easily been FUNimation's dub that could have gotten you into it if you had seen it first?

You're lucky to know anybody like that by the way. I seriously can not name a single person in real life that hasn't closed their mind to the series thanks to 4Kids. Every single anime fan I know says the same thing, and all of them haven't even given the subbed version or the FUNimation dub a chance. You have to understand why it's frustrating. I'm pretty sure that at least some of them could find something to like in it, but nope "I saw the 4Kids dub, it was too kiddy for me."

Seriously, do not underestimate how bad that dub really was. All of the horrible one-liners that were totally out of character, entire arcs completely removed for no reason even if they would have significance later on in the series (which we should all know that they do because this is One Piece.), the Marine's guns being turned into water guns, Sanji's cigarette being turned into a lollipop (kind of understandable that they didn't want a cigarette, but... FUNimation did the TV edits a lot better by just not having it at all.), Sanji and Usopp's voices being HORRIBLE, a lot of the emotional scenes being totally ruined by edits, music, etc., the music being CHANGED (One Piece's BGM is some of the best around, and my favorite altogether. 4Kids crossed a HUGE line there.), etc.

I don't know why there's been a sudden backlash against the people that dislike 4kids.

Because it's a popular opinion, and popular opinions are not "cool".

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Because it's a popular opinion, and popular opinions are not "cool".

The actual reason is actually that this thread actually started as a troll thread, well, for those that don't pay attention to what Fox normally posts, but a few more "lol it's a troll" posts later, people started posting how they're not totally against 4Kids (argument being that they actually did bring people to subbed anime, or that they don't force people to buy the show (near none, if any, C&D letters to subbers)). Afterwords, the people that were completely against 4kids showed up and argued using one piece dub sucks as a point, and...ya, something like that.

Now that I've summed up this thread, Fox has had a successful troll, and this thread is actually starting to heat up now, I'm gonna close this thread.

/Closed

P.S. BTW probably some of the the only respect I have for Funimation is for redistributing the remainder of Geneon's dubs.

P.P.S. Worst (English) dub (of an anime) ever made is Cardcaptors [Cardcaptor Sakura], done by Nelvana. Unarguable Statement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back