• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4Kids

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Nooo....This is the right forum. Anyways, otaku get nnoying like this. They'll go off and ***** about evry single little name change and edit a show gets...kinda makes you wanna slap someone just for the sake of doing it.

Kenta

OK! Kanpeki!
    Years
  • On a similar note, do you have any intentions of releasing any other Japanese series in their original format?
    We expect every series we license to be released in its original form.

I'll hold ya to that Khan. That means Pocket Monsters too :P

Evil Togepi

Yu-Gi-Oh GX owns my SOUL!
    Years
  • Hummmm, that article is quite intresting and it's at least answered why they have postponed the uncut Yugioh DVDs (*Which are the only Yugioh DVD collection I'm getting*) and it's pretty good news that they are looking at releasing all their licensed shows in their original format at some point.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    They just need to learn that anime isn't only aimed at little kids ._. having uncut versions later during the day on some channels would be a lot better :3 the dumbing down and editting is so painful >.<

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
  • DF dadragonz said:
    They just need to learn that anime isn't only aimed at little kids ._. having uncut versions later during the day on some channels would be a lot better :3 the dumbing down and editting is so painful >.<

Yeah, but despite what you guys think, there is reasonsing behind why it's editted... business reasons and societal reasons. I'd rather get these "painful" edits you call it than not get it at all... more specifically for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. I don't doubt that the dubbed version of other animes are bad, but in the case of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, they're done pretty well with little effect on the storylines... with the exception of Yu-Gi-Oh and future episodes regarding the Memories Saga.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ...I still stand by my opinion of 4kids. I already know they make all their cuts to make their anime appeal to a younger demographic; I figured that much was always obvious.

But... why don't they just pick up an anime that already fits their intended market instead of choosing something that won't go down properly without major editing? x_X; (Well, I suppose I can find the answer to that on my own quite easily, but it still bothers me. :\) Ah well, no use complaining since it won't get me anywhere. @_@; (Although it's still fun. XD)

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
  • Lightning said:
    But... why don't they just pick up an anime that already fits their intended market instead of choosing something that won't go down properly without major editing?

While that may be true for most anime they get their hands on, I'm glad they got ahold of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Regardless of their track record for other shows, they've done a pretty darn good job with these two. Maybe not the best, but certainly worthy of complimenting a little.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Arigeitsu159 said:
    While that may be true for most anime they get their hands on, I'm glad they got ahold of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Regardless of their track record for other shows, they've done a pretty darn good job with these two. Maybe not the best, but certainly worthy of complimenting a little.
    I think it's that most people don't like the choice in voices, not the editing. Either way people make it bigger than it should be. Pokemon and Yuugiou were meant for kids, but as well, in Japan the children are use to different types of shows. While American children...aren't. Causing the heavy editing, for Pokemon and Yuugiou they really haven't done much wrong, aside from the voices used in Yuugiou, and Pokemon is one of the best 4Kids dubs ever.

Though there are shows that did suffer a lesser fate, One Piece for instance. A lot of the story is getting hacked out, a lot of the voices don't match(though I am amused they got Luffy's voice perfect), it's just a bad dub. By the time the Alabasta arc comes around, most of the story is going to have to be changed due to the content of that arc.

But either way, One Piece season two is getting an uncut dub, which will hopefully air on Toonami next year.

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
  • Blue said:
    I think it's that most people don't like the choice in voices, not the editing. Either way people make it bigger than it should be. Pokemon and Yuugiou were meant for kids, but as well, in Japan the children are use to different types of shows. While American children...aren't. Causing the heavy editing, for Pokemon and Yuugiou they really haven't done much wrong, aside from the voices used in Yuugiou, and Pokemon is one of the best 4Kids dubs ever.

Though there are shows that did suffer a lesser fate, One Piece for instance. A lot of the story is getting hacked out, a lot of the voices don't match(though I am amused they got Luffy's voice perfect), it's just a bad dub. By the time the Alabasta arc comes around, most of the story is going to have to be changed due to the content of that arc.

But either way, One Piece season two is getting an uncut dub, which will hopefully air on Toonami next year.

I'm curious... why do people have a problem with the voice actors in Yu-Gi-Oh... I mean, aside from this season's voice actress for Mai...? The voices seems to fit the characters just fine.

In the case of One Piece as you just illustrated above, this is why I get a little upset when people talk bad about Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh dub because they are just descently compared to what could have happened. Granted I'd probably be upset that One Piece if I were a fan of the show, but I'm not, so it doesn't matter to me. Yeah, 4Kids doesn't always get it right with every show, but at least give credit when they do for the most part. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Arigeitsu159 said:
    I'm curious... why do people have a problem with the voice actors in Yu-Gi-Oh... I mean, aside from this season's voice actress for Mai...? The voices seems to fit the characters just fine.

In the case of One Piece as you just illustrated above, this is why I get a little upset when people talk bad about Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh dub because they are just descently compared to what could have happened. Granted I'd probably be upset that One Piece if I were a fan of the show, but I'm not, so it doesn't matter to me. Yeah, 4Kids doesn't always get it right with every show, but at least give credit when they do for the most part. ;)
    Usually the voices don't match, Yuugi is supposed to have a soft voice, almost girly, which implies that he is fragile and not as strong as Atemu. The English voice for Atemu has the tone right...But the actor just get can't emotion across, he comes out so stale. Those are my only real problems with the dub...And also Jounouchi with his New York accent.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Kirby...direct to video movie...Not in theatres? No no...NO!!! ;-; 4Kids, in my opinion "screw up" a lot of the anime they dub...
    Here's how they do it. [https://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145[/url]

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    You mean the movie that is made of the final three episodes, right? I thought that was gonna air on TV O.o

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
  • Blue said:
    Usually the voices don't match, Yuugi is supposed to have a soft voice, almost girly, which implies that he is fragile and not as strong as Atemu. The English voice for Atemu has the tone right...But the actor just get can't emotion across, he comes out so stale. Those are my only real problems with the dub...And also Jounouchi with his New York accent.

Well, at least you're being subjective about it rather than knit-picky and not just saying "it sucks" without any reasonsing behind... which is why I've always respected your opinions.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
  • Blue said:
    The English voice for Atemu has the tone right...But the actor just get can't emotion across, he comes out so stale.
    I dunno. Last I checked, Yugi's voice was never meant to have two different voices. o_O; IIRC, "Yami Yugi" was always meant to be just regular Yugi..only more confident sounding and tough. Not a completely new, rough, deep voice. o_o;

There's also the fact that Seto's voice is really lacking any kind of emotion and he's not always supposed to an ass. :| Eric Stuart makes him sound like a stale, emotionless Brock with a low tone.

And yanno, I'm glad someone else brought this up. Why the hell doesn't 4Kids just grab anime that's already appropriate for them to air? Newsflash! Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece aren't exactly intended for small children. :|

Releases of everything they dub in their original format? Highly doubt that. Where's the uncut/uncensored with Japanese audio Pok?mon, One Piece, Sonic X and so forth? Where's the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh?

I say they're full of it. >_>

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Elite Trainer Raven said:
    I dunno. Last I checked, Yugi's voice was never meant to have two different voices. o_O; IIRC, "Yami Yugi" was always meant to be just regular Yugi..only more confident sounding and tough. Not a completely new, rough, deep voice. o_o;

There's also the fact that Seto's voice is really lacking any kind of emotion and he's not always supposed to an ass. :| Eric Stuart makes him sound like a stale, emotionless Brock with a low tone.

And yanno, I'm glad someone else brought this up. Why the hell doesn't 4Kids just grab anime that's already appropriate for them to air? Newsflash! Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece aren't exactly intended for small children. :|

Releases of everything they dub in their original format? Highly doubt that. Where's the uncut/uncensored with Japanese audio Pok?mon, One Piece, Sonic X and so forth? Where's the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh?

I say they're full of it. >_>
    Usually anime aimed towards kids doesn't create the toy sells that they want for the show to work. That's always been and always will be one of the biggest factors in wheater an anime for kids works or not.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • It all comes down to what can make the most money in the end. YGO may not be intended for small children, but it has products that you can sell to make it "last" longer. Sure Upper Deck's one of the crappiest TCG companies around, but they're still making the cards and somehow the show and the cards hit it off synergistically. Of course, for the non-small children audience, this is similar to a rip-off, as we'd prefer to have them uncut to begin with. Marketting said otherwise.

As for me, I thought 4Kids have terrible voice acting in comparison to the originals (shown in examples above me).

Bottom line for me, as long as it's not one of the anime that I watch or would watch, I don't care how much they butcher their series. Keep them away from NGE tho. O_O

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ...so am I the only one who still, well, despises the Yuugiou dub? o_o I'm not as annoyed with it now as I was a year or two ago since the series ended and I haven't so much as watched the opening of the dub for about two years. But... yeah. I still hate it. (With the possible exception of that duel between Yami Yuugi and Yami Bakura in DK, there is no Shadow Realm. Even then, I don't think there was one; something else was used to describe that. x.o;) Blah, oh well.

Elite Trainer Raven said:
    There's also the fact that Seto's voice is really lacking any kind of emotion and he's not always supposed to an ***. :| Eric Stuart makes him sound like a stale, emotionless Brock with a low tone.
    Um, actually, Brock's english voice actor is much better emotion-wise than his Japanese one, I've found. ^^; I think it was most noticeable for me in the episode when Mokuba was flown over his head on a helicopter or whatever... o_O In the Japanese, Kaiba was shouting "Mokubaaa," but his tone never changed. xD It was so strange.

I dislike most of the voices in the dub. They all sound the exact same. Like, maybe I'm just used to hearing the different intonation of Japanese voices, but I mean... if you listen to the Japanese voices of the main enemies in Yuugiou and then compare them to the voices of their english counterparts, you'll get my point. Pegasus wasn't that bad -- he still kept that "pretty man" thing in the dub fairly well, but all the others didn't fare so well. To me, many enemies in the dub sound exactly the same. x_X It's the same generic voice doing everything to cut costs. Ugh, I just can't stand it; I need variety there so I know who's speaking. <_<

(I completely gave up on trying to like dub voices the moment I heard Varon's (?) Australian accent. Ew. Where did that come from!? Coincidentally, I think that's also when I stopped watching the dub. Hn.)

Kurosaki

Well, it's true that they *majorly* screw over all the shows they dub. But for some people, you have to take what you can get. Sure, the Yu-Gi-Oh dub may be majorly screwed, but its the best most people can get. I used to watch it all the time since it was all I had, but now I just DL the subbed episodes off the internet.

Hurey789

Bleach Fan
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 25, 2007
    Do any one like Mew Mew Power?

I just like Sergio in Mew Mew Power !

Lightning's edit: I've edited your second post into this one. Please don't double post because it's against the rules. ^^;

Back