• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2014
    soulsilver question

could someone tell me what if any changes they made from the original

Years
  • I'll be glad to tell you that.

First, there is the Pokeathlon which is a minigame involving your Pokemon doing athlectics-style games and you earn points which can eventually be spent on prizes. Also, there is the Battle Frontier which replaces Crystal's Battle Tower albeit it's styled the same as the one in Platinum.

Aside from what's mentioned, pretty much a lot of things are very similar to the originals but all updated to 4th Gen standards. You can also look here to see all the changes compared to the original Gold & Silver.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Please HELP me on giving WONDER CARDS on MYSTERY GIFTs on Pokemon Platinum...

I want to have the Secret Key (and/or other event items) to my Platinum gameplay. Here is the situation:

I have my retail Platinum and a Platinum game and save on R4. Of course I have two NDSs. In the R4, I have the Secret Key Wonder Card and I want to give or send it on my retail Platinum. By the way, I used Mystery Gift editor to obtain the event/gift/card on the R4 Platinum. There is no give or send option on the R4 Platinum. What are the possible things I've missed? Activating the Myster Gift menu? Or missed obtaining the Pal Pad? I wanna have event items on my retail Platinum. Please guide me so I can have the events/gifts/cards on my retail Platinum.

Years
  • So i'm playing Platinum and doing a Blue Mono-Color (although at the moment I mainly want to catch Rotom so I can get a Gold Ticket for the Carnie games in the Carnival of Horrors). I pretty much know i'm gonna need Gyarados when the time for Gardenia comes, because otherwise i'll probably never beat that Roserade, considering everything else available to me is weak to Grass (except Luxio which likely won't do me too much good anyway). It says I can find Magikarp up to Level 15 with the Old Rod on Routes 203 and 204, but after a few catches on the Old Rod the highest i've found is Level 7 I think. How likely am I to find one at a higher level? Am I best waiting until Eterna to try for it?

Years
  • So i'm playing Platinum and doing a Blue Mono-Color (although at the moment I mainly want to catch Rotom so I can get a Gold Ticket for the Carnie games in the Carnival of Horrors). I pretty much know i'm gonna need Gyarados when the time for Gardenia comes, because otherwise i'll probably never beat that Roserade, considering everything else available to me is weak to Grass (except Luxio which likely won't do me too much good anyway). It says I can find Magikarp up to Level 15 with the Old Rod on Routes 203 and 204, but after a few catches on the Old Rod the highest i've found is Level 7 I think. How likely am I to find one at a higher level? Am I best waiting until Eterna to try for it?

I think you're just getting unlucky. I've done a bit of research and the ones caught on Route 205 only range from levels 3-10, same goes for Route 203. Route 204's can be as high as Level 15 like you said, but I think you're just unlucky with the levels of the ones you're fishing up so keep trying until you get a higher level one.

Route 204 is still likely your best bet since the other locations only get ones as high as Level 10. Good luck with the rest of the challenge btw, buddy!

Years
  • Ah, well i'm not very far in at all (I just started this evening and haven't even arrived in Oreburgh yet), and the Old Rod isn't doing me all that much good and even doesn't get me too many bites. I'd just rather have a Magikarp I won't have to waste too much time training up. I might try again after i've beaten Roark, but for now i'll just stick with the three I have.

Years

Use the Repel trick. Put a Pokémon at level 15 in front of your party and stand in front of the water. Spray a repel and then fish. Might take a while, but you should find one at level 15 on route 204. Good luck!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Use the Repel trick. Put a Pokémon at level 15 in front of your party and stand in front of the water. Spray a repel and then fish. Might take a while, but you should find one at level 15 on route 204. Good luck!

I tried that with my Level 14 Piplup - used a Repel and then the Old Rod on Route 204, and got a Level 5 Magikarp. So that didn't work.

Guess i'll wait until Eterna City to try for a high leveled one.

Years
  • Alright, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for contest help, but what would be a good contest moveset/nature for a Misdreavus or Mismagius? Because I want to do that for part of Necrum's Carnie games event for another ticket. Thanks!

Years
  • Alright, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for contest help, but what would be a good contest moveset/nature for a Misdreavus or Mismagius? Because I want to do that for part of Necrum's Carnie games event for another ticket. Thanks!

After some looking up on Bulbapedia, it appears the majority of Misdreavus/Mismagius' learned moves (both level-up and TMs) are categorized as Smart so you'll probably want to train it for a Smart contest.

I would post all the moves but my stupid browser is crashing on me all the time, but the recommended nature you'll want to use is one of the following: Careful, Sassy, Calm or Gentle. I don't know which one of those, or which moveset is the exact best but look it up and see what you think works. Good luck by the way, buddy!

Last edited:

BriCKson

Rarely comes out of Trade Corner... O.o
    Years
  • Kurt's Pokeballs

Hi!

So I recently decided to go back in time and play HG to catch pokemon in Kurt's special pokeballs, but now that I am getting the pokeballs I am having a massive debate on what to catch :(

Any recommendations on which pokemon would be best to catch to transfer up to x/y and ORAS? I know a lot of pokemon are played with their HA's being important. Which one's can you catch that don't rely so much on their HA?

Thanks! :)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • To be honest, it's entirely up to you! What kind of Pokemon take your fancy? I'd say pick your favourites to catch and transfer, you'll have more fun playing with them than anything else. :)

Also, I'm just going to merge this into the 4th Gen Help Thread!

Wings_of_Titanium

Gentleman Adventurer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2014
    Hey friends!

I'm trying to get the pal park working (transferring from Emerald to Platinum), but the migrate button isn't appearing. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right -
    - Beaten elite 4 & champion
    - Got national dex
    - Been to pal park, spoken to Oak, spoken to the operator who won't let me in until I've transferred some pokemon
    - More than 6 pokemon caught in Emerald
    - Emerald game saved in a pokemon centre
    - No HM moves among the migrants
    - The GBA game works, and its presence is acknowledged on the DS' launch screen.

Could it be that I'm using too old a DS? I've run out of things to troubleshoot, and the migrate option doesn't appear on the New Game/Continue screen in Platinum.

I might be overlooking something embarrassing, I haven't played anything (other than Platinum) since Gen II. And, y'know, just enough of Emerald to try to transfer one of the starters & wind up scratching my head on this forum.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Hey friends!

I'm trying to get the pal park working (transferring from Emerald to Platinum), but the migrate button isn't appearing. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right -
    - Beaten elite 4 & champion
    - Got national dex
    - Been to pal park, spoken to Oak, spoken to the operator who won't let me in until I've transferred some pokemon
    - More than 6 pokemon caught in Emerald
    - Emerald game saved in a pokemon centre
    - No HM moves among the migrants
    - The GBA game works, and its presence is acknowledged on the DS' launch screen.

Could it be that I'm using too old a DS? I've run out of things to troubleshoot, and the migrate option doesn't appear on the New Game/Continue screen in Platinum.

I might be overlooking something embarrassing, I haven't played anything (other than Platinum) since Gen II. And, y'know, just enough of Emerald to try to transfer one of the starters & wind up scratching my head on this forum.

Hummm, it... let me PM you about this if you not mind?

Sorry now I remember, you have to visit the professor in Eterna (I think that's the town) and then he will reappear at the park and you can enter then.

Last edited:

Wings_of_Titanium

Gentleman Adventurer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2014
    Hummm, it... let me PM you about this if you not mind?

Sorry now I remember, you have to visit the professor in Eterna (I think that's the town) and then he will reappear at the park and you can enter then.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to Prof. Oak in Eterna, he told me that Articuno, Zapdos & Moltres had been sighted in Sinnoh, but didn't return to the Pal Park. Do I need to catch them first?

If you're still willing to PM me, I'd appreciate the help.

Edit - nevermind. I figured it out. Turns out my copy of Emerald is a cheap knock-off. My first clue was that it looked kind of weird, but I put that down to not having played gen III before. My next clue was this problem, but I figured I just didn't know how migration worked. Then I found this - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/54339108?page=1 - and noticed that I did indeed get the dodgy message on startup. Then I looked at the seal, and noticed it was blurry and said "Seal of Quality," while my legit copy of Platinum was clear and just said "Seal." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/54339108?page=1

Guess I'd better go demand a refund. Thanks for your time.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/54339108?page=1

Last edited:
    Years
  • In Pokemon Soulsilver, if I defeat Lugia the first time I see it, will he, and if so, when and how often reappear?

Does that work for Lugia only or some other Pokemon as well?

Info Im finding online are very unreliable and everyone says something different lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back