• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4X games like Civilization

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
  • I've played a lot of 4X games but my favourite is definitely Europa Universalis IV. It's very different to CIV though. Unlike Civ, you have to pick an existing kingdom/nation the difficulty of the game will depend on the nation you pick (it's not artificially set like the game modes in Civ, but naturally so) because some nations are in terrible geopolitical situations and others are in great ones.

Also because there's just so many possible kingdoms to start with and so many different decisions and things you can do, games are generally much longer in EU4 than Civ and there's way more games you can play before it gets repetitive.

Like Civ, the complexity depends on how much of your kingdom you want to micromanage but it definitely has a higher potential complexity than Civ. That's not to say it's a high IQ game or anything though, I'm dumb as bricks and I still love it.

The DLCs for EU4 are better too, because they add more interesting mechanics than Civ's. They're interesting in that if you understand the mechanics added, you can circumvent, or even use it to your advantage. Civ'd DLCs seem more or less like unavoidable or mandatory events and such to me.

The AI in EU4 is also much better, honestly. Civ's AI is really not the best.

Civ does do some stuff better though. Especially some aspects of diplomacy. Being able to make trade deals and use those trade deals for war and peace and such is something that EU4 sorely needs but lacks. Also, unlike Civ, there's no winning in EU4. The game ends after a certain number of years and that's it. Whether the game is considered a win or not is dependent only on how satisfied you were with what you accomplished. This could result in games feeling less satisfying than Civ games though so that's a YMMV type thing.

Also, EU4 throws a TON more information at you when you start than Civ. It's not really complicated if you watch a few guides but it's just so much information for someone who just started playing. Because of this, the first time I tried EU4 I quit it after like an hour because I didn't know how to make anything happen at all. Civ's a lot easier to jump into and pick up which is better than overcomplicating things.

All in all, EU4 - best 4X game I've played.

Back