• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5 Centimeters per Second

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I just want peoples opinion on it. I plan to watch it so don't give out any spoilers please.

But, before I watch it, I have a few questions;
    Is it really sad? I mean I've read about it and it seems kind of sad.
    How would you rate it out of 10?
    Is it one of your favorites?

Thanks for answering them. The reason I asked this was because I want to finish up 2 more series before school starts, because I can't watch anime during the school year.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I watched it and here's my opinion. It is sad, very sad. There are many depressing moments, a lot of dialogue, and generic characters. I almost killed myself in some scenes. Despite that I actually enjoyed it, but I can't say it's near my favorites. If I would rate it, it would be a 7.5 to 8 max.

If you enjoy tragic pasts, romance and some disappointments, then this is for you.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I watched it and here's my opinion. It is sad, very sad. There are many depressing moments, a lot of dialogue, and generic characters. I almost killed myself in some scenes. Despite that I actually enjoyed it, but I can't say it's near my favorites. If I would rate it, it would be a 7.5 to 8 max.

If you enjoy tragic pasts, romance and some disappointments, then this is for you.
    The thing is each time I watch a sad anime, I get all sad inside and kind of depressed. I don't like the feeling of that. D:

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Watch a comedy anime at the same time or eat while you're watching. There are many who dropped this anime for the same reasons such as yours. This anime will leave you wondering if, and feeling depressed. But the romance in it will counter that, so does the art, the sound, and the story. xD It has 3 episodes; each 23 minutes. It will end quickly xD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Watch a comedy anime at the same time or eat while you're watching. There are many who dropped this anime for the same reasons such as yours. This anime will leave you wondering if, and feeling depressed. But the romance in it will counter that, so does the art, the sound, and the story. xD It has 3 episodes; each 23 minutes. It will end quickly xD
    Still, the feeling of depression lingers on. Like for example, I watched an anime called H2O; Footprints in the sand, that was sad for me and I still feel it D:

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I can't help you there..you seem very sensitive to those genre. xP

Here is a link to the anime. Read some reviews. They will show you what people felt after they had seen the anime. xD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I am D:

Anyways, thanks for the help, I just want to see what some other users have to say xD

Years
    I'd say 5cm/s' rendition of romance is more realistic than most anime production out there, so that could either mean it'll be heart-breakingly depressing or just plain boring. I don't think that the characters were generic; none of them would fit a particular anime stereotype out there. Their portrayal is that of normal people out here in the real world, but I guess that'll seem generic to some. For me, I gave it a perfect score because some of the theme it touches on really hit it home for me, and the beautiful animation and music is almost perfect. But don't let me raise your expectations too high and go in disappointed. I'll just say I recommend it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'd say 5cm/s' rendition of romance is more realistic than most anime production out there, so that could either mean it'll be heart-breakingly depressing or just plain boring. I don't think that the characters were generic; none of them would fit a particular anime stereotype out there. Their portrayal is that of normal people out here in the real world, but I guess that'll seem generic to some. For me, I gave it a perfect score because some of the theme it touches on really hit it home for me, and the beautiful animation and music is almost perfect. But don't let me raise your expectations too high and go in disappointed. I'll just say I recommend it.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I probably might watch it :D

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I found it very, very sad. If you don't like that lingering sad feeling afterward, you're out of luck, since this does that pretty strongly.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    y'know, whenever i try to watch this movie, i am always interrupted about halfway though for an unusual saline solution materializing in the ocular regions of my body, consequentially fogging my vision, halting any further progress.

what the hell, dudes!?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    If you don't like sad movies, don't watch this. It's a very realistic portrayal of relationships and distance and the ending will not leave you fulfilled. But that's part of its charm, to be honest. It packs a very emotional punch and it's quite possibly my favourite anime, so I can't not recommend it.

I say watch it with a box of tissues at hand and then line up something light and fun like a few episodes of Chi's Sweet Home afterwards to boost your spirits. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    If you don't like sad movies, don't watch this. It's a very realistic portrayal of relationships and distance and the ending will not leave you fulfilled. But that's part of its charm, to be honest. It packs a very emotional punch and it's quite possibly my favourite anime, so I can't not recommend it.

I say watch it with a box of tissues at hand and then line up something light and fun like a few episodes of Chi's Sweet Home afterwards to boost your spirits. :P
    I guess I'll watch it when I'm really already sad xD

Years
    It's a beautifully composed film on all levels. I think the running time was milked a bit because it dragged in the middle, but apart from that pacing issue it was indeed awesome.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    You guys are making me want to watch it no D:
    I don't want to see the sadness though D:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    5 Centimeters, I would definitely recommend. I can't help but repeat what everyone else has said about the sadness factor. This movie's a pet favourite of mine. I've gone so far as to limit myself to watching it too many times this year to avoid getting bored of it.

Anyway, like others before me have said, this movie packs an extremely strong emotional punch wrapped around excellent, almost photorealistic, scenery, an amazing soundtrack which accentuates the moments of emotion which we see so much during the entire movie, and an amazingly realistic plot line.

It is incredibly sad, but I will still recommend this movie to you despite warnings of not for the faint-hearted because this isn't meaningless weeping. It's real life. This movie emulates real life so well that I almost died during the movie. I literally (Yes literally, and not figuratively) felt my heart wrench during one part. And that wasn't even at the climax. It was just the first episode. You can really sympathize with the characters despite only having been introduced to them for five minutes or so.

This movie is the culmination of the beauty and tragedy of existence that I would really, really, recommend you to watch it. It makes you think. And, if you've been through what the protagonists have been through before, it'll make you reflect on those moments which you might have done better. Choices you could have made.

I guess, the only con with this movie is that it's a bit too slow for some people. Some people. If you're used to action sequences, don't hope for any of that in 5 Cm. I mean, the movie doesn't even try to exxagerate the plot for greater effect. Sure there's some pretty awesome camera work, but that's as far as they go in making it seem larger than life. The plot seems like something that happens everyday and yet we just don't see it because it doesn't always happen to us.

/End Sappy Review.

I'm sad now. I watched this movie a few months ago and it still brings tears to my eyes.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    5 Centimeters, I would definitely recommend. I can't help but repeat what everyone else has said about the sadness factor. This movie's a pet favourite of mine. I've gone so far as to limit myself to watching it too many times this year to avoid getting bored of it.

Anyway, like others before me have said, this movie packs an extremely strong emotional punch wrapped around excellent, almost photorealistic, scenery, an amazing soundtrack which accentuates the moments of emotion which we see so much during the entire movie, and an amazingly realistic plot line.

It is incredibly sad, but I will still recommend this movie to you despite warnings of not for the faint-hearted because this isn't meaningless weeping. It's real life. This movie emulates real life so well that I almost died during the movie. I literally (Yes literally, and not figuratively) felt my heart wrench during one part. And that wasn't even at the climax. It was just the first episode. You can really sympathize with the characters despite only having been introduced to them for five minutes or so.

This movie is the culmination of the beauty and tragedy of existence that I would really, really, recommend you to watch it. It makes you think. And, if you've been through what the protagonists have been through before, it'll make you reflect on those moments which you might have done better. Choices you could have made.

I guess, the only con with this movie is that it's a bit too slow for some people. Some people. If you're used to action sequences, don't hope for any of that in 5 Cm. I mean, the movie doesn't even try to exxagerate the plot for greater effect. Sure there's some pretty awesome camera work, but that's as far as they go in making it seem larger than life. The plot seems like something that happens everyday and yet we just don't see it because it doesn't always happen to us.

/End Sappy Review.

I'm sad now. I watched this movie a few months ago and it still brings tears to my eyes.
    Thanks for the recommendation :D
    I'll probably watch it tomorrow :x

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    You're kidding me, right? Don't tell me that a sad ending is going to keep you from watching this masterpiece. Sad endings can be just as satisfying as happy ones, if not even moreso. It really takes something to be able to invoke such emotion through such a short story. It certainly isn't something that most movies can do.

But 5 cm/s does just this, and it does it well. I'm not really one to cry at sappy love stories, but 5 centimeters per second just has that special quality to it--the realism; the subtlety. It draws you in, but not in the way that most dramas do. The characters are nothing particularly special--in fact, the movie as a whole portrays a seemingly normal situation. The characters and their actions just seem... so natural. That's the beauty of this movie. It's simple, yet effective. Their emotions are not always explained directly, per se. But for some reason you can feel everything that's going on. The lifelikeness of the anime is simply astounding. 5 centimeters per second puts you right into the story. It provides a different type of action.

And hell, even after I've typed this you probably would have already watched this. But there is no end to the amount of praise I can give for this movie.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I watched it already XD
    It was really realistic and showed a lot of details. Its sad, but I still enjoyed it.

Back