• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th gen vs. 6th gen

Years
  • I've been taking a huge liking to gen 6 (XY in particular), but i'm very interested in gen 5 cause....idk, so in YOUR honest opinion, if you had to choose between gen 5 or gen 6, which is better and why?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Obviously generation V. The story was better. I'd never pick Generation VI over Generation V, as X/Y are my least favorite Pokemon games of all time.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I personally prefer Gen 5 to Gen 6. Gen 6 had some good stuff in it (Looker sidequest, trainer customization, Delta Episode, best breeding spot in the series), but Gen 6 was also where it got terribly noticeable that Game Freak was just churning out games without taking the time to polish them. XY's story was a huge disappointment, and it had a barebones post-game. Gen 5 has my favorite Pokemon in it, as well as my favorite side-event (PokeStar Studios), plus one of the better plotlines for a Pokemon game.

Though rn I'd probably take Gen 6 over Gen 7

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Gen 5 has the best narrative in the series and great amounts of content with significant postgames in both titles. Gen 6 have more of an attempt at narrative than most gens but they missed a lot of marks. The lack of significant content is what really hinders them though, especially on ORAS which neglected to include fan-favorite Emerald features.

Years
  • Gen 5 is the pinnacle of Pokemon games in my opinion and is better than Gen 6 in so many ways. Both the main story and the post game in Gen 5 games are so much better than in Gen 6 games, in BW2 you even have imo the coolest battle facility ever the PWT. I would never take Gen 6 over Gen 5.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Gen 6. I grew up almost exclusively with Gen 3, but skipped over to generations 6 and 7. The 3D world felt so life like and amazing to me.

I did go back into gens 4 and 5, but it did feel like a step backwards since I preferred the 3D over the 2D world.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Gen 5 started a lot of the trends that have plagued Pokémon in the past decade, but the quality was still damn good enough to be worth playing. B2/W2 are pretty feature rich.
    X/Y were horribly mediocre and OR/AS completely ignored Emerald, so yeah, no thanks.

Years
  • the Pokemon World Tournament alone in B2W2 gave far more replay value to me than XY did. not to mention fifth gen's characters were more enjoyable.

... although, this isn't to completely dunk on XY. i think it had some good points. i don't like fifth gen's Dream World and XY's PSS destroyed the Xtranciever thing that fifth gen had to communicate online. but unfortunately, sixth gen's faults were too many for me to enjoy, and there wasn't much for me to do after beating the E4 sans Battle Chateau which was only fun up to a point.

milcute

a sweet melody~
    Years
  • I'm in the minority here, but I never particularly cared for the story of Gen V. I think it's because I just don't like N; if you don't like N, you're gonna have a bad time playing Gen V. So naturally, I prefer Gen VI. Yeah the story and characters for Gen VI is pretty shallow, but I like it that way. The less story the better, I don't play Pokemon for the story.

Noctis

Finally back after some family problems
    Years
  • I like Gen 6 so much better. Yes Gen 5 had a much better storyline but Gen 6 introduced fairy types and mega evolutions. Fairy types gave us a better chance to get rid of dragon types which i had always had trouble with in the past(as any ice type in previous generations wasn't fast enough to take out dragons or to weak defensively and Dragon vs Dragon was never really a good idea) and mega evolutions gave us a chance to see some of our favorite pokemon become even better than they were before. Gen 5 just seemed kinda bland in a way. The storyline was beautiful and the characters were very interesting, but I would have to go with Gen 6 being the better of the two.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd go with Gen 5 for the main games as wasn't a huge Fan of X/Y but I will be doing a re run of the games when I'm finished with Platinum

May have a different opinion after the re run as I got through the game as fast as I could as wasn't liking the way the franchise was going.

But if your put ORAS in to the mix then I would have to say Gen 6 overall loved the remakes

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    unpopular opinion here, but I firmly believe there's never really been a good Pokemon story. I truly do not know what people are talking about when they mention the story in Gen V. When I talk about which generations or games I like I'm not talking about the story because they're forgettable and overall bad.

The biggest thing for me in a new game are the Pokemon designs and I think Gen V gave us some of the worst designs. There were also few characters I enjoyed. Also I see Gen V as the beginning of terrible Champions (ignoring Wallace). Alder and Iris are very bland and not exciting to face. I have really tried to approach bw with an open mind, but I cannot get myself to like it. Now bw2 I will give credit. I enjoyed the added areas, the addition of prior Pokemon, there are actually things to do in the post game, plus some enjoyable characters. I will say this gen has my favorite elite four.

Gen VI has really good designs imo, I enjoyed the addition of the fairy type, and trainer customization. Also the addition of wonder trade and the whole set up of the gts was perfect. Unfortunately xy was way too easy and Diantha was a bland ass champion. Also the post game was insulting. This gen has the Hoenn remakes which makes it a bit unfair to compare. I will say the removal of trainer customization was bull and the addition of the delta episode was so unnecessary. I really did not need Pokemon to add dimensions to try and explain things that didn't need explaining to begin with. It's Pokemon, it's not that deep. Lastly they cut the Pokemon Frontier. The thing that I was most looking forward to from the remakes wasn't in it...

It's hard to say which is better for me at this point because I have major gripes with both. If you want somewhat of a challenge gen V is better. If you care more about design gen VI is better.

Back