• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th generation starter thought

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
Years
  • Hmm... I prefer original and not mix instead. But, just like D/P.
    Fire afraid of Water but when it evolved, the Fire can defeat Water because Empeleon is water and steel type and Infernape is Fire and Fighting instead. Steel afraid of Fighting. So I think maybe 5th Generation will be like that. Just an opinion

This is an interesting point.

Anyway, I understand that Nintendo will most likely never change the starter's base types from Fire, Water and Grass, but would ground, electric and water not work, too?

I'm sure a Ground/Fighting Pokemon would be easy to make. Water/Psychic sounds kind of cool, and Electric/Dark is... well, good enough. xD

Though I suspect there's a flaw in my theory that I've over looked. Does anyone see any?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Im going to post this and if anyone goes for the F/D/P triangle im going to have to flame read this and then go with the choices your given:
    The only possible starter triangles (i.e. three types that are weak to one another in a rock-paper-scissors fashion and the same with resistances in reverse) other than the traditional Fire/Water/Grass are Rock/Fighting/Flying, Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground. (Before you send me an error report about it, NO, DARK/PSYCHIC/FIGHTING IS NOT A TYPE TRIANGLE. See the FAQ entry on the subject for details.) We are not likely to get such starter triangles, however; Fire, Water and Grass are both traditional and make sense as representatives of three elements while the other triangles are pretty much out-of-the-blue incidental relations that happen to come out of the type chart.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • going by the pattern of Generation 3 & 4 I have concluded that the Grass Starter in Generation 5 will be bird-based...

Agree, or not?

Years
  • how about having another version like yellow? Interrupt the usual starter type ritual that way.
    I'm not sure which the Pokemon would be, pikachu worked because it was so iconic.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    well. why not
    Water/ Dragon
    Fire/Dragon
    Grass/Dragon
    ???

A great, yet simple pokemon type.
    It would be nice also because dragon pokemon are introduced at the beginning of the game.
    however it will probably stay the same for the new games, if there will be new games.
    Something like this or like the Special pikachu edition(not yellow) would be perfect.
    However it still would be cool to see a mix in the types, or just a mix in the pokemon.
    Like a fire bug, since bug is more closely related to grass than fire.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Grass/Dark

Fire/Fighting

Water/Psychic

I just had extreme deja vu. O_O

Anyway, I'm sick of Fire-Fighting. No more! That would be three generations in a row. Something interesting...I'm still waiting on Fire-Ice, Fire-Electric, Fire-Water, and Fire-Grass.

That's what I'd like to see. Something different.

Grass-Steel or Grass-Electric.

Water-Fighting is all I've got for that.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • well. why not
    Water/ Dragon
    Fire/Dragon
    Grass/Dragon
    ???

Personally, I think that looks more like a Legendary line-up than a Starter line up.

As for me, I'd go:

Fire/Flying - Because the combination is just really nice, and we've not seen it since Charizard. I'd love another fire type Starter that turned into something with flight. XD

Water/Electric - Never done in Starters, and I think it would look interesting to see what they'd come up with for that kind of Starter type combination. Also normalises the weakness to Electric types.

Grass/Ground OR Grass/Rock - Both are natural earth-bound elements, in both cases, and since Torterra was a Ground type, maybe the use of a Rock type, next time around, would be pretty interesting to see.

Bear in mind, I didn't take into account a secondary counter-type triangle, because they don't do that, themselves.

red king

The Sky Of Your World
    Years
  • nice combinations of starter glaceon yeah i like to see to a fire-flying and water-electric will be a nice touch to a starter and grass-rock or ground are allrigth torrterra is the best grass starter in my book

Years
  • Look at the pattern people

Well with every other starter pokemon it has been Fire water grass i personally do not thing they are going to change that right. and the other pattern is that they are all special in element and if you look at all previous starter pokemon thay have had a physical and a special element and i do not think they are going to change it so if im right the elements that they will be are:
    Normal
    Fighting
    Flying
    posion
    Ground
    rock
    Bug
    ghost
    Steel
    Please let me know what you think about what i said

Last edited:
    Years
  • A grass/psychic starter is unlikely, it has too many weaknesses. A Grass/psychic type has one of the highest possible number of weaknesses for any type combination, I do believe.

Although depending on looks (shallow of me, I know) I would probably find myself choosing it simply because I have a love for psychic types =]

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
    Years
  • Water/Dragon
    Grass/Rock
    Fire/Dark

But I wouldn't think they would use those for the starters. Maybe for their last stages though. But Nintendo will always use Water/Fire/Grass.

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    A grass/psychic starter is unlikely, it has too many weaknesses. A Grass/psychic type has one of the highest possible number of weaknesses for any type combination, I do believe.

Oh my gosh! What was that? *Takes out Pokedex*

"Celebi is a Grass and Psychic type Pokemon. It is also extremely usable in competitive battling between trainers."

=D

Years
  • True, but if you look at the people who are going to be playing they will very often be kids new or relatively new to Pokemon.
    I reckon grass/psychic will be a put-off for new trainers because of the number of weaknesses.

Personally, I LOVE Celebi. But unless said trainer knows what they're doing, he's gonna get the floor swept with the green fairy D=

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    True, but if you look at the people who are going to be playing they will very often be kids new or relatively new to Pokemon.
    I reckon grass/psychic will be a put-off for new trainers because of the number of weaknesses.

I haven't a clue what kind of kid or newcomer actually analyzes the number of weaknesses in a final evolution of a starter and bases their decision off of that. =P

Back