• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6 questions related to Pokemon--

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    1. Do you check out pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and wikipedia, before posting anything related to pokemon information?
    Yes. I couldn't memorize so much information off the top of my head. Everytime I check, I learn something new though. :3
    2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world?
    Yes, and I've done some research on the poems and stories of the Canalave Library. That and I know my fair amount about the history of the Pokemon series.
    3. Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?
    Um, I've been told that I know an awful lot about Pokemon. XD So I guess no. But I do play it for entertainment too.
    4. Do you know that digimon copied the concept of pokemon?
    Digimon started as a series that was similar to the Tamagotchi for boys. It was a digital pet that was later made into the series that it is now. The only similarities that Digimon and Pokemon have is the mon / monster suffix and the fact that they both feature fictional creatures that befriend the human. Digimon's story is very different from Pokemon; Digimon can reincarnate if they die, revert to their pre-evolutions after a battle, and don't have the usual 8 Gym storyline.​
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon in the pokemon's story?
    I personally think that Mew and Arceus are of two different religions, just like our world has Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. So really, there's no telling which came first. There is no living proof that Arceus really did create the world; how would the professors know? So no telling yet. :<
    6. Why do you like pokemon?
    Because its fun and interesting? XD I don't know.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Xanthine, do you even know why Pokemon is written in the essential 50? If you say digimon is not in the essential 50 because it is not popular, you're wrong. It stated clearly in the description of the essential 50, "These are the innovators -- the creations which shaped entirely new genres. The revolutions that launched great designers to fame. The concepts that inspired countless other games. And of course the failures that brought mighty corporations to their knees." This source was from the main page of essential 50, describing why they wrote it...
    Do you even read, I SAID RE INVENTION, SO WHY THE #### DID YOU SAY IT IS VAGUE? If you want to say it is vague, you got to be logicial in that deduction too, and you just stated it isn't a logical deduction because it is vague, dots...

That post was okay up until the last couple sentences :| That's awfully rude of you, and you would have made the exact same point without being rude. Please be more considerate in the future, thanks :3

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    Sorry for my rudeness

Alright, I admit that i overeacted, but that was because they didn't read properly. Xanthine if you don't think you didn't read properly, then that's fine, just don't reply with another argument. If you want to continue this argument, please post a new thread on the same topic. And essential 50 are not articles for famous games, please look up on the other games in essential 50 as well. I only see a minority being popular games. Please read the description of essential 50 from the group of authors.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Alright, I admit that i overeacted, but that was because they didn't read properly.

Would've helped if you actually phrased things correctly. =/ As I've said before, your phrasing was incredibly vague and implied that you think that the one that comes later either always has to be a reinvention or a rip-off of an earlier work. The fact that everyone who responded to your argument with a similar stance as mine shows you that the actual problem is in the way you said things, not in whether or not we read correctly.

Yes, I posted this here. Why? Because you're still insulting me by implying I didn't read. Also, it's relevant in that we're arguing about whether or not your question (which really implies there's no right opinion than yours, given how you state "do you know that Digimon copied" and not "do you think that Digimon copied") is accurate or fair.

Also...

I only see a minority being popular games.

In that case, this author has no idea what would logically make a game influential. If a game isn't popular, not a lot of people know about it. That means it can't be influential because it doesn't have as much of an effect on the general populace. Why? Put it this way: If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to see it, does anyone care? Pretty much the same concept here. If a game has really incredible ideas but only a tiny fanbase, then it can't revolutionize anything because it doesn't have enough of a following to produce a market that would require it to be repeated or to produce fodder to be reproduced.

In other words, while being popular and being influential are two different adjectives, they really go hand in hand. The games in the list, then, would have to be popular on some kind of level, or they'd have no power.

Please keep in mind that this author is not the end-all expert on video games. (In fact, I could say a thing or two about the way he worded his opinion and how that compares to IGN or Game Informer's writers.) If you want to have your opinion, that's fine, but to argue, you'll want to look at more than one person's arguments. Just because he's published on a gaming website doesn't mean his opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

Artyte

Years

Please note that you were the one who started to talk aggresively first, because as you post things, I had been tolerating your 'you are' sentences, and I was trying to post nicely. But in the end you have been doing those repetitive statements, asserting I am wrong in your intution, that's why I am so fired up.
    Doesn't mean games that are not popular, are not influential, look up on the articles please. Why don't you read out on those articles of the games in essential 50 which you don't even recognize? At least I could understand that those that you described as unpopular, such as spacewar, herzog zwei, populous, dragon's lair, played an important role in influencing some games, that we now play, are popular.
    Seriously, use the word famous instead of popular.
    Yea, you really didn't read. I thought that those information were too clear for me but i'm surprised at the way you're explaining, criticising not just me but the author.
    AND I TOLD YOU NOT TO REPLY PLEASE? NO MORE FEUDS IN THIS THREAD. YOU WANT TO REPLY, START A NEW THREAD PLEASE.
    I'm not going to argue further because I find your "logicial deduction" is quite illogical like the one on 'In that case, this author has no idea what would logically make a game influential'. I'm not gonna say why I say so because you're just gonna argue your way and think it is correct, so if you want to argue further, please feel free to post a new one on this section or on the 'other's' section.
    Do you know how well these people are trained in rating games? They study a lot on gaming industries and gaming histories more than any of us here with a few exceptions. They are not employed to gibber, and what's more is that they work in a group.
    I would only debate on topics with people who argue gracefully, but not with people who are truculant and aggresive in speech, as I would get myself in trouble too (彼此少两句), and using words during arguements such as 'you are' to describe people from their own opinion instead of making an 'objective analysis'. Why don't you just get to the point instead of starting by describing what you think of me.
    THIS WILL BE THE LAST POST I WILL BE REPLYING SOLELY TO YOU, XANTHINE. I AM ONLY GOING TO REPLY TO PEOPLE WHO REPLY TO THE MAIN TOPIC ON PAGE 1 AND I DIDN'T INTEND TO ARGUE WITH YOU.

用自己的理论来争论此事是没用的. (If you don't understand, that's fine, if you do understand, i'm impressed. And it is nothing vulgar nor unpleasing to hear, don't believe me ask your chinese friends.)
    From yours truly...

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Please note that you were the one who started to talk aggresively

Actually, if we want to really start with who's been talking aggressively, we can start with the fact that you posted this thread to weed out the apparent n00bs of this forum while stating your opinion as fact. To be honest, while I'm blunt, I'm not attempting to insult anyone unless I feel they insult me. All you've been doing is trying to assert your own opinion as fact.

I would like to apologize if I've been coming off insulting. That's not my original intention. All I intended on doing is essentially to point out the fact that one of your original questions isn't necessarily accurate because of the way it's worded. In fact, it's actually not entirely true in any case because Digimon and Pokémon are two different franchises.

But in the end you have been doing those repetitive statements, asserting I am wrong in your intution,

The only reason why it seems repetitive is because you keep on repeating the same arguments as well, so I end up having to repeat facts I've already posted. And yes, fact. *motions to the articles I've linked to earlier*

At least I could understand that those that you described as unpopular, such as spacewar, herzog zwei, populous, dragon's lair, played an important role in influencing some games,

The way I see it is if it attempted to do something that isn't liked enough to be repeated, then it's not influential.

Yes, I've read some of the other articles. However, you're also not giving some of these titles some credit. Yes, Spacewar wasn't popular, but it was the first of its kind as well. It opened up an entire market and proved that it's possible to create video games in the first place. In a sense, though, it was also reincarnated several times throughout the years.

The other games are well-known titles (with the exception of Herzong Zwei, although if it's the game I think it is, then it's actually got a fair-sized fanbase as well). Sonic? The Sims? Space Invaders? Pong? Even One-on-One, King's Quest, and Ultima were popular back in their days. The only title there that doesn't seem to fit is E.T., though that's arguable on general gaming sites anyway. (The article itself seems to go back and forth as to whether or not it's actually influential, given how it's saying it's not actually solely responsible for the downfall of Atari anyway. So, I just WTFed there.)

Famous = popular in the case of the gaming industry unless there's something seriously wrong, at which point, we should hope you're also not influential. (Like with E.T.) As in, if a lot of people like the game, it will be famous because word about it would spread around. If not a lot of people have heard of it, then it won't be as popular.

I thought that those information were too clear for me

The way you worded things wasn't, as stated twice, not only by me but also by another poster.

but i'm surprised at the way you're explaining, criticising not just me but the author.

Because I disagree with the both of you, and you seem to be hailing your own opinion and his as absolute fact. Or you keep on using his opinion as proof for our original argument (that question #4 isn't accurate) and nothing else.

AND I TOLD YOU NOT TO REPLY PLEASE?

Don't request in all caps and with that kind of tone. It makes me want to reply anyway.

Do you know how well these people are trained in rating games?

Yes, but that doesn't mean one person's opinion is absolute fact. If you want to talk about facts, you'll have to look up multiple articles and try to figure out where people are coming from.

As it stands, knowing about games is one thing, but the author of these articles is mostly stating fact. Yes, I'm looking over the articles, and really, he's opinionated and snarky in some cases, and I'll have to disagree with some of his choices. (E.T. being the most notable case. Or, at least, his reasoning for stating why it's influential.)

And that still doesn't change the fact that you were trying to use one sentence in all of these articles to state a fact about an entirely different argument.

and what's more is that they work in a group.

This depends on the company. Usually, there's only one author of an article for obvious reasons. There might be an editor, but really, no one knows the content of the article better than the original author.

I would only debate on topics with people who argue gracefully,

I tried to start out gracefully. It only devolved because of your lack of support for your argument (i.e., one article does not a fully supported argument make), failure to fully support your claims (i.e., When you argued, you only spent a sentence detailing your thought process.), and tendency to not only state your opinions as fact but also insult your opposition.

So, to get back on topic, please provide more evidence as to why you think Digimon's a copy of Pokémon, given that that's what you originally stated.

用自己的理论来争论此事是没用的.

It's only useless because you're being rather stubborn here. =/

It's also fairly rude to attempt to speak to the opposition in a foreign language because it makes them think you're attempting to insult their intelligence.

Last edited:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Please note that you were the one who started to talk aggresively first, because as you post things, I had been tolerating your 'you are' sentences, and I was trying to post nicely. But in the end you have been doing those repetitive statements, asserting I am wrong in your intution, that's why I am so fired up.
    Doesn't mean games that are not popular, are not influential, look up on the articles please. Why don't you read out on those articles of the games in essential 50 which you don't even recognize? At least I could understand that those that you described as unpopular, such as spacewar, herzog zwei, populous, dragon's lair, played an important role in influencing some games, that we now play, are popular.
    Yea, you really didn't read. I thought that those information were too clear for me but i'm surprised at the way you're explaining, criticising not just me but the author.
    AND I TOLD YOU NOT TO REPLY PLEASE? NO MORE FEUDS IN THIS THREAD. YOU WANT TO REPLY, START A NEW THREAD PLEASE.
    I'm not going to argue further because I find your "logicial deduction" is quite illogical like the one on 'In that case, this author has no idea what would logically make a game influential'. I'm not gonna say why I say so because you're just gonna argue your way and think it is correct, so if you want to argue further, please feel free to post a new one on this section or on the 'other's' section.
    Do you know how well these people are trained in rating games? They study a lot on gaming industries and gaming histories more than any of us here with a few exceptions. They are not employed to gibber, and what's more is that they work in a group.
    I would only debate on topics with people who argue gracefully, but not with people who are truculant and aggresive in speech, as I would get myself in trouble too (彼此少两句), and using words during arguements such as 'you are' to describe people from their own opinion instead of making an 'objective analysis'. Why don't you just get to the point instead of starting by describing what you think of me.
    THIS WILL BE THE LAST POST I WILL BE REPLYING SOLELY TO YOU, XANTHINE. I AM ONLY GOING TO REPLY TO PEOPLE WHO REPLY TO THE MAIN TOPIC ON PAGE 1 AND I DIDN'T INTEND TO ARGUE WITH YOU.

用自己的理论来争论此事是没用的. (If you don't understand, that's fine, if you do understand, i'm impressed. And it is nothing vulgar nor unpleasing to hear, don't believe me ask your chinese friends.)
    From yours truly...
    @____@ Didn't I already warn you about being rude to members in this thread? It doesn't matter why, but you were rude to them after I directly told you to calm down. Xanthine, you need to calm down as well. I don't want to see either one of you arguing with each other again in this thread :/ If anything, take it to PMs~

Oh, and Artyte, even though you were the creator of this thread, you can't ban anybody from posting in it XD; If he had started a new thread like you suggested, it just would have been merged in here.

Now, both of you have been off-topic, so let's try and go back to it :3

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    1. Do you check out pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and wikipedia, before posting anything related to pokemon information?
    Sometimes. If I'm not sure about something; I might check one out. But, if it's regarding the first, second and third generation- I don't have to.
    2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world (i mean the history of the story, not the real world of what it was created in)?
    Yes and no. I know some of the history of it. But, my memory is a bit iffy there.
    3. (I rephrased it) Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?
    No. I play Pokemon because I've always liked Pokemon. (in fact, I liked the manga/anime first)
    I plead the fifth on this question.
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon (nothing pertaining to first drawn) in the pokemon's story (there is an answer but i won't say it)?
    I'm wanting to say Mew? But, I haven't played any of the new ones... so...
    Different reasons; it has great story lines, great characters, cute little monsters... what more could you want?

champ ben

Sceptile=annoyed trainers
    Years
    1. Nope
    2. Anime- a bit, Games- YA IM THE GAME HISTORY KING :D, Manga- WTF IS THAT?
    3. Not really I know about 130 pokemon on pokemon Ruby :)
    4. Digimon suck
    5. Thats gotta be CHarmanda, Bulbasaur or Squirtle!
    6. Ya know, I dont know! i suppos i just like thrashin the elite four :D

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Woah, this went so off topic... Geez...

Nope, not really...
    2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world (i mean the history of the story, not the real world of what it was created in)?
    Why yes, yes I do...
    3. (I rephrased it) Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?
    Nooo! Pokemon is my liiife. And hey, what's the point of asking this in a Pokemon forum?
    It did? I always had my shushpishionzz...
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon (nothing pertaining to first drawn) in the pokemon's story (there is an answer but i won't say it)?
    I'm not sure... Mew or Pidgey?
    O_O How do I answer this? I love it because...
    I couldn't say. I just do. I have since I was around six years old, when I got Pokemon Yellow for Christmas... So many times my friends have asked me why I liked it, and commented that I won't like it when I'm older, but they said that years ago, and here I am! I just... Do. Can't explain it, but it's love ^_^
    xX

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    No I don't.

Yes, of course.

No, I play it mainly for entertainment and I do know what pokemon are.

Well, they didn't really copy the concept because not everything in Digimon is the same as pokemon. Plus, I'm somewhat a fan of digimon. (I hate the first two and fourth seasons though)

It's Mew or Arceus. Although I won't say which one I think is the real "oldest" pokemon.

Mainly because of my two most favorite pokemon of all. (obvious who they are) :D

Immortal_one

Math is power.
    Years
    -Nah, not really
    -Yes
    -No, I'm a sap for storylines and such
    -Yes, unfortunately.
    -I'd say either Arceus or Mew
    -The same reason I play any video game; it's a fun break from my course work.

Years
    Not really...
    Yup
    Nope...I know a bunch of stuff about it :)
    Sadly I do...I wish they hadn't though
    I believe it's Mew
    Because I've liked it ever since I was a little kid, and it's just stuck with me :)

Years
    Sometimes
    Sorta? I need to finish Pearl ^^;
    I'm obsessed so no, I play it because I love everything about it!
    Sorry, I highly disagree. It definitely was from the whole tamagotchi phase and I guess since Pokemon was so popular they had it come around to try to compete with it or something :/ Bad timing? Haha. I love them both and wish people'd stop betching about it. Personally I enjoy the anime of Digimon much more than Pokemon, but the Pokemon games will always be superior.
    Mew or Arceus
    I love animals, so that just carried to all the unique creatures of Pokemon :) It's exciting <3

Artyte

Years
    I love animals, so that just carried to all the unique creatures of Pokemon :) It's exciting <3

Same as me! I love animals, except that they can sometimes be extremely noisy as a pet.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    1. Yes (Bulbapedia)

2. Yes

3. No

4. I don't really know. I don't know much about Digimon.

5. Well, Mew was the first Pokémon trademark ever registered,
    even before the name "Poket Monsters" (Pokemon)...

6. I used to see the first few Pokemon movies in theatres.
    Also at this time, I collected trading cards.
    For a long time after that, I fergot Pokemon even existed...
    But now I love playing the games and watching the anime.
    I don't really care about the trading cards though...

M O M U S U

Fail-safe
    Years
    1. No, but I check them occasionally for fun.
    2. Yes, I think it should be made into a chapter-book, actually.
    3. Of course not, I play them only because I love the POKEMON, not just the in-game worlds and all the fun things and places inside.
    4. Yes, but there's a difference... Digimon tanked c:
    5. I'd say the oldest Pokemon are the legendary Golems (Registeel, Regice, Regirock).
    6. Becuase I love the beautiful worlds, especially Johto/Sinnoh and i love all of the creatures.

Ice_Emperor

Emperor of all that is.
    Years
    As a former Digimon fan, I think I should just up and say if you know anything about it - It's not a bad copy.
    The original Digimon Tamagotchi's were created in 1997. Just one year after Pokemon.
    The term "Pokemon" was only used because it was compared to Digimon in America, as an Abbreviated term for Pocket Monsters.
    I'm really not approving of any of this Digimon bashing, People bash Pokemon and you get offended, so I find that hypocritical.
    The only time Digimon ever copied Pokemon is when it went even further downhill.
    Similar-
    They involve Monsters = So I assume Yu-Gi-Oh! and every other childrens TV show copied Pokemon as well?
    They involve People and Monsters = Well now, same can be said about Metabots in the same fashion as Pokemon. Metabee(Sp? Haven't seen this in forever) has a greatly similiar relationship as both Pikachu and Charmeleon/Charizard do with Ash with Ikki. I assume they copied it to?
    Both Attack- Really? Monsters that can attack? Blasphemy.
    Both involve Player vs Player battling- AGAIN, It's a Tamagotchi. And in the series, there were rarely ever two humans fighting with Digimon. In the V-Tamer Manga, I know it's different.
    Both Come from Eggs- Digimon came from Eggs before Pokemon. In 1997 Digimon could be born from Eggs, only since 1999 could Pokemon be born from Eggs.
    Have any of you ever played a Digimon game?
    Here's a run through of the ones I have been lucky to say I've played-
    Digimon World 1 - A souped up Tamagotchi with a small storyline. Bringing Monsters back to the City. Defeated The Bad Guy. No Gyms, nothing like Pokemon. Came out in 2000.
    Digimon World 2 - An RPG with Monster collecting and raising, you join a team and fight the evil jerk who is trying to do evil stuff. Released in 2001. Only minor similiarites, but seriously, it's only coincidance. Maybe The Server of Digimon And The way you get them to join you is similair, but you can say that about a lot of RPG's.
    Digimon World 3- This is where Digimon started going downhill. It's got a few similiarities. You have to beat the 8 City Leaders or something thereof, Haven't played the game in a long time. You have to Stop the Evil Network Agents from trying to take over the world. In Comic Books and Kids show, they're ALWAYS trying to take over the World. Came out in 2003.
    Digimon World 4- This game blew, we're not talking about this.
    Digimon Digital Card Battle - Again, just a stupid Card battling came. I can see some similarities with Pokemon, as you have to challenge people in every city and such. But I don't play the Pokemon TCG so I can't tell you how those two are like. 2001
    The Rumble Arena Series - A Smash Brothers with Digimon. Nothing to see here, move a long.
    Didn't play Digimon World Data Squad.
    Didn't play any Wonderswan games. =/
    The Battle Spirit Games - Just a little rumble arena for Gameboy. =/
    Let's please not talk about Digimon Racing.
    Digimon World DS - I know a little bit about this, seeing as my brother has it. It's just a simple thing. You belong to an organization and do missions for them. You collect monsters, we've been through this.
    Digimon World Dawn/Dusk- Pretty much the same as DS, but with the Digimon series starved for money copying more of Pokemon.
    Digimon World Championship - A tamagotchi, pretty much that battles already set up in it.
    Until Recent years the Digimon series has always held up on it's own.
    The anime is infinitly different, so don't go on about that.
    Now, don't call me a deranged Fanboy who wants to promote the garbage Digimon has become.
    I think it should be left alone to die, were people like myself can enjoy it knowing the series won't be used as a cash cow any longer.
    More recently, I've become a fan of Pokemon, but I still know Digimon was great series.
    Digimon just had bad timing.
    I'm not changing anyones opinions, I just wanted to speak my mind about the injustice against a once good series.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    No.

Uhm.. No.
    3. Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?

No, I play but I know what they are?

Uh.. No?

Uhm.. Relicanth? I dunno.

Cause it's fun. I used to love it. But it's just okay now. I love training.

Back