• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[64-bit Windows 7/8/10/11] Easy Decomp Installer (NO WSL OR COMMAND LINE)

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Easy Decomp Installer

Have you ever wanted to use the decomps without the elaborate installation process? You're in the right place!
    I've packaged together everything you need to build the disassemblies and decomps into a single download with some scripts to make the installation process as simple as possible for Windows users.

Download The Easy Decomp Installer (MIRROR)

Installation instructions:

1. Download and extract the easy decomp installer. Make sure that the the file path at which you extract it doesn't contain any special characters or spaces.
    2. Run the included install.bat script. Type the number corresponding with the decomp or disassembly you want and press enter.
    3. Wait for the decomp/disassembly to download and compile.

If the process doesn't end in an error and you get a ROM file in the folder of the disassembly/decomp, you will have successfully setup the disassembly/decomp and you can start romhacking with it.

The disassemblies/decomps are downloaded in the easy_decomp_installer folder. In addition to the source files and build artifacts, they will also contain two additional helper script files:
    _make.bat - Compiles the project applying any changes you've made to the source files to the ROM.
    _bash.bat - Opens a bash shell. You can use this to run command line tools like git or make.

NOTE: Since this is using MSYS, compile times will be slower than with WSL, so the manual installation is still the better option if you aren't lazy or using Windows 7/8.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Are there any additional dependencies this needs? I got an error about pkg-config being missing, and then libpng.pc after I installed that. I'd love to be able to use this, but I can't without knowing what's required to set it up.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Are there any additional dependencies this needs? I got an error about pkg-config being missing, and then libpng.pc after I installed that. I'd love to be able to use this, but I can't without knowing what's required to set it up.
    There should be no external dependencies whatsoever. I didn't include pkg-config because it wasn't actually necessary. As you can see, that error happens in the video too but the decomp still compiles fine.

Is it actually preventing compilation for you and if so which decomp/disassembly are you having this problem with?

Years
  • There should be no external dependencies whatsoever. I didn't include pkg-config because it wasn't actually necessary. As you can see, that error happens in the video too but the decomp still compiles fine.

Is it actually preventing compilation for you and if so which decomp/disassembly are you having this problem with?
    Oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit. I assumed it had failed because the command line had stopped updating for a while, but it seems I just didn't wait enough. I'm using the vanilla pokeemerald disassembly (option 0). I went and tried it out again, actually waiting for it to work this time, and what happened was this. Worth noting that I do have pkg-config in the dependency folder in a place where it's being recognized, which is potentially interfering with things. I'm running Windows 10.

1701271616954.png

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit. I assumed it had failed because the command line had stopped updating for a while, but it seems I just didn't wait enough. I'm using the vanilla pokeemerald disassembly (option 0). I went and tried it out again, actually waiting for it to work this time, and what happened was this. Worth noting that I do have pkg-config in the dependency folder in a place where it's being recognized, which is potentially interfering with things. I'm running Windows 10.

View attachment 108954
    I think the issue might be that the path to that folder contains an apostrophe (and spaces, which could also break something). Try placing it somewhere else.

Years
  • I think the issue might be that the path to that folder contains an apostrophe (and spaces, which could also break something). Try placing it somewhere else.
    Well, dang. That was precisely it; I moved it to a space- and apostrophe-less filepath and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help, and for the tool!

Back