• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 7th Badge: Psychic Gym

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
  • Yesterday I tried to win my 7th badge but failed miserably.
    This morning I tried yet again but failed as well.
    So now I'm just roaming around, any suggestions on what Pokémon I should use?
    I used:
    * Fennekin(I'll evolve him later): lvl56 with Psychic, Flame Charge, Fire Blast and Flamethrower
    * Lucario(the one you get with Mega Evolution): lvl51 with Power-Up Punch, Aura Sphere, Quick Guard and Bone Rush
    * Roselia: lvl46 with Synthesis, Petal Dance, Giga Drain and Toxic

Ps. My excuses if this thread had already been posted before, I used search but couldn't find one so..

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Easiest to go with that is catch an absol on the grassy area in route 8 which is in ambrette town,your gonna have to train it though,it comes at around level 15
    Pawniard is an option as well as it comes at a higher level at route 15

Last edited:

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
  • Easiest to go with that is catch an absol on the grassy area in route 8 which is in ambrette town,your gonna have to train it though,it comes at around level 15
    Pawniard is an option as well as it comes at a higher level at route 15

I love Absol! Was thinking of catching it but I was rushing too much to finish the game xD.
    Alright, I'll try doing that, thank you. What level do you suggest I should level them to (at least) around 45?

XpokeX

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    I love Absol! Was thinking of catching it but I was rushing too much to finish the game xD.
    Alright, I'll try doing that, thank you. What level do you suggest I should level them to (at least) around 45?

Since you just have 3 pokemon(4 counting absol) I'd say get absol to maybe 50 gives you leverage against the level of psychic gym.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
  • Since you just have 3 pokemon(4 counting absol) I'd say get absol to maybe 50 gives you leverage against the level of psychic gym.
    I have more pokémon though I picked those for the psychic gym but I guess it didn't go so well with those xD.
    Aight lvl50 it shall be :P.

XpokeX

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    I have more pokémon though I picked those for the psychic gym but I guess it didn't go so well with those xD.
    Aight lvl50 it shall be :P.

Absol should learn sucker punch by that level which could basically OHKO the leaders pokemon :3

Ash Ketchum 11

I'd use your toxic first then go get some hits In with flamethrower. Then maybe bone rush. Hope I helped!

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I breezed through that gym. I used Chesnaught, Pikachu, Talonflame and Lucario all at around level 58 - 60. Truth be told Lucario really wasn't that much help and I lost Pikachu after the first 2 hits. Chesnaught inflicted reasonable amount of damage but Talonflame pretty much took out the whole team single handedly its one of the best early pokemon you can get IMO. If you have one trained up high enough or you can get one then do. Also I would get a Haunter and train it up to about lv 50 and use that too. Between them they should make mincemeat of that gym.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
  • I had more pokemon on my team maybe that is why I didn't lose. Note that you have a fighting type and a poison type fighting against psychic types. A dark or/and a ghost type could really help you in this situation. Just do what was mentioned above capture an Absol or a Pawniard and/ or a Hunter and evolve it into Gengar or something like that. Try a strategy like mentioned above it helps. I see that you are on your way. Not that I'm rubbing anything in your face please don't misunderstand me but I found that gym super easy. :P

Yeah hence why I had Lucario and Roselia in my team. Didn't think Lucario would be squishy against them though. And my Roselia has no Poison type moves ggwp for me.
    Hunters are cool, maybe I could get one of those as well xD.
    Well, I always did poorly against Psychic Pokémon (maybe that's why I love playing with them?)

I breezed through that gym. I used Chesnaught, Pikachu, Talonflame and Lucario all at around level 58 - 60. Truth be told Lucario really wasn't that much help and I lost Pikachu after the first 2 hits. Chesnaught inflicted reasonable amount of damage but Talonflame pretty much took out the whole team single handedly its one of the best early pokemon you can get IMO. If you have one trained up high enough or you can get one then do. Also I would get a Haunter and train it up to about lv 50 and use that too. Between them they should make mincemeat of that gym.

Lucario was against some of them, sadly he wasn't that effective against the Gym Leader his Pokémon.
    I suppose I could catch Fletchling too then.

So I suppose my team composition would be: Absol, Pawniard, Gengar/Hunter, Talonflame and Fennekin or Roselia optionally (I probably would go with Roselia, since I remember how effective the moves were against Fennekin).

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    Personally I would switch the Fennekin out for a strong electric type. Pikachu did some serious damage to Slowking before it got knocked out. I didn't bank on its woeful defence though lol You'll have Talonflame covering the fire side of things so you are less likely to need Fennekin in this one.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
  • Personally I would switch the Fennekin out for a strong electric type. Pikachu did some serious damage to Slowking before it got knocked out. I didn't bank on its woeful defence though lol You'll have Talonflame covering the fire side of things so you are less likely to need Fennekin in this one.

Ok sounds good as well, since it's true there's a Slowking in that one. Aight. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I don't remember exactly what the Psychic gym leader's pokemon were, but I started with a Fennekin as well. I found him really useful when he evolved to Delphox as being Fire/Psychic type meant he was resistant to psychic moves and just had to avoid any water moves (does slowking have any water moves? - I would think so).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Seventh gym was pretty difficult for me, too. @_@; Thankfully, I had Blastoise on my team, and it was able to wall a few Pokémon and help me get through. Definitely would have lost without it, haha.

Years
  • Fennekin(I'll evolve him later): lvl56 with Psychic, Flame Charge, Fire Blast and Flamethrower

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you evolve your Fennekin? challenge?

Also did you fight all the trainer battles you can? You seem a bit underlevelled at that stage of the game with only three Pokemon. (Even if you haven't used EXP share)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Meh I blinked and missed the fight. My Greninja destroyed the Psychic Gym. Bug, Ghost, or Dark are all you really need.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2014
    haunter/gengar would still get hit hard from psychic pokemon though right? him being part poison. absol would be the best choice with night slash and sucker punch

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I'd advise you to use a ghost type Pokemon, I was able to beat her with my Gengar alone. If you can't find one then I'd happily let you use one of mine.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2014
    I would teach Fenniken Psyshock..most psychic types don't have great defenses..your two primary problems are that you're attacking them with special attackers & your types are weak against psychic types.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just beat that gym today. Charizard M slaughters everything. You've been rushing haven't you? My pokemon are around 56 and I beat it the last time I played. Now I'm on my way to Snowbelle City. Turn on Experience Share. The new way it works is actually really good compare to the old way.

Back