• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

9/18 - COTD - Charizard (EX: Crystal Guardians)

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
Years
  • 9/18 - COTD - Charizard (EX: Crystal Guardians)

Rate & Review.

Thanks to Water Pokemon Master from www.pokebeach.com for the scan.

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
  • Ah Delta Charizard. When i saw it at first i thought "How can they spoil such a good card". The only use is it's Poke-Power when you play it from your hand, after that it's worhtless. Discarding 2 Metal Energys is a waste since there are almost no cards to retreive them. If you still decide to play it use it in combination with Pidgeot of EX: Holon Phantoms, since his Rotating Claws can retreive metal energy. However you still need to swicth the energy to Charizard, this card is just useless.

2/10

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...Well, what about Dark Metal, Rainbow, & Double Rainbow Energy? This thing is more powerful than the first responder gave it credit for.

7/10

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
  • 120 is maybe a OHKo on the defending pokemon if played correctly, but losing 2 Metal energys (which provide 20 resistance when normal metal) is a waste. Special energy cards is a possibility, but still you can use them better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    2/10???? Thats a seriously poor and unrealistic mark, this card is good. =/

Great types, Metagross DX abusable, Peal of thunder is an awesome power. Can OHKO any non ex. Really good pre evo cards. DRE, Dark Metal, Rainbow, SCRAMBLE etc etc. No one would run just Metal energy cards with this deck.

Man... o.O

7/10

Last edited:

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Great types, Metagross DX abusable, Peal of thunder is an awesome power. Can OHKO any non ex. Really good pre evo cards. DRE, Dark Metal, Rainbow, SCRAMBLE etc etc. No one would run just Metal energy cards with this deck.

Man... o.O
    Peal of thunder has very limited use. I mean, come on! You can look at the top 5 cards of your deck, take all the energy and then discard the rest only when you play Charizard from your hand. And the discarding of two metal energy cards just to knock out one Pokémon is ridiculous.
    120 is maybe a OHKo on the defending pokemon if played correctly, but losing 2 Metal energys (which provide 20 resistance when normal metal) is a waste. Special energy cards is a possibility, but still you can use them better.
    Yesh, what he said.

I also agree on Hayate's 2/10 rating.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    2/10... omg... this is a RIDICULOUS rating.:laugh:

Firstly, only Ichapokemr and myself have mentioned running this card with anything, other than Metal Energy...

Lets go through the facts.... :\

HP: 120.. Isn't that the highest HP for a non ex? well yes, yes it is..
    Type: L & M. Wow! dual type! That IS good, particularly when it can use M energy advantage. L type? lets splatter some Pidgeot d and Ludicolo's whilst were at it too.
    Name: Not an ex - thank god. And a delta type? there are SO many cards that benefit delta pokemon its not even funny.

Stage: Its a stage 2, not the best stage of course, but its pre evolutions make up for this BIG time.
    Firstly Charmeleon, for stage 1 and 3 energy 60 damage is very good. Also it's a fire type making a versatile 3rd type hitter (other than L and M) in a deck. Also using Rage with a memory berry or meteor falls on Charizard d can be devastating.
    There is another Charmeleon, but this is the better of the two.
    https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/excg/029.jpg
    The same with both Charmanders, average attackers and an OK basic.
    Now lets think about this, ignoring Rare Candy, A LOT of energy can be put on this before Charizard d is played.

Bottom Stats: Ok, weak to water, but being a L type shouldnt be too much of a problem anyway. Average retreat cost for a stage 2.

Right thats done.. Lets move on.

Power: Peal of Thunder. Not the best power I've ever seen. But it could be worse. Just make your deck to suit this power by increasing the energy count, run Macargo DX, play Bannette ex, just do something! This power can be really good if it's used correctly, energizing a Charizard t2 becomes a possibility. Attaching on average 3-4 energies in one turn sounds quite good to me.
    And you don't have to use it, if you don't want to... it's optional. =/
    And when Charizard d's power has no more use? Good! use this as an opportunity with good trainer cards! such as these two: https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/excg/074.jpg
    https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/exuf/083.jpg

Right.... moving on.

Attack: Metal Burn. Admittedly this attack is not the greatest attack a Pokemon could ever have, but it is hardly a reason to give a card 2/10..
    120 damage? Hold on thats a load of damage isn't it?
    The person who said discard Metal Energy, I mean come on. Why would you just run Metal energy to discard?? Why not use a better option? This attack OHKOs any non ex (under usual circumstances) and popular ex cards in the current format, such as eevelutions, Medicham and Bannette. So use.. Double Rainbow Energy, Use Scramble Energy, Use Dark Metal Energy, Use D(elta) Raibow Energy and so on.
    If you actually would decide to playing just Metal Energy and no other special energy cards, that is actually your own fault and a bad idea.

And guess what! There are cards which nobody has considered so far that could make Charizard d playable.
    Metagross DX, this card is such a good combo, its obvious.
    https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/exdeoxys/011.jpg
    Memory Berry and Meteor Falls - if you don't want to attack with Metal Burn.. well, don't. Charmeleon has its own good attacks that Charizard can also use.
    https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/excg/080.jpg
    https://www.pokebeach.com/sets/exdeoxys/089.jpg

In conclusion, to give this card 2/10 is a joke. If played well, in a properly designed and thought out deck, this card is very good. Currently in Japan, combined with Rage on charmeleon and memory berry, Charizard d is a powerful card in the metagame.

7/10 again...:\

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
  • You are talking about few situations were this card could be useful. But you can't count on it these situations may happen everytime. This card is just rediculous. It's pokepower is useful, but not worth to include the card only for that reason into your deck.

Then the attack, as i said before: Having only 1 attack which also needs discarding energy is a total waste. Retreiving special energy cards is possible, but you need several cards to let them return back to D Charizard.

About the "fantastic 120 attack" it surely is a joke! There are enough other pokemon who with that amount of energy can perform better attacks that also provide positive side-effects instead of discarding 2 metal.

Discarding 2 Metal also is a wate for defence: 2 Metal give a metal Pokemon 20 extra defence. You can come with cards like Dark Metal and D rainbow energy, but fact is they can be used much more better then on a Charizard.

Again, this card only is useful when you managed to play it correctly, but you need to concentrate a great part of your deck to supply D Chaizard with those energy again and again. Once those cards ran out, it's defenceless.

Last, i still give this card a 2/10, however a 1.5/10 may suit it better. You seem to find this card "great", reason could be you recently discovered it in a booster pack. Well fine, i'm happy for you. I only point to the facts and not live in a dream.

Greetings,
    Hayate.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I can't believe I have to spell this out everytime I review a card..
    Do you play Modified or Unlimited? Do you even play the card game competitively? More importantly, do you even play it at all?

You are talking about few situations were this card could be useful. But you can't count on it these situations may happen everytime.
    Did you even read the post I just wasted my time typing out? What would be the point in running a card in a deck if your not going to adapt your deck to ensure a good likelihood of this card being played to its potential.
    Almost every Pokemon Card that has ever dominated the Modified format is near hopeless on its own; Examples Lugia ex, Dark Dragonite, Manectric ex without the deck being adapted to fit its playing style.
    You cannot simply throw in a Charizard d line into a standard deck, hope for the best and go ahead to win a tournament. This card definately requires a lot of thought.

Then the attack, as i said before: Having only 1 attack which also needs discarding energy is a total waste. Retreiving special energy cards is possible, but you need several cards to let them return back to D Charizard.

About the "fantastic 120 attack" it surely is a joke! There are enough other pokemon who with that amount of energy can perform better attacks that also provide positive side-effects instead of discarding 2 metal.
    As I also previously stated, Charizard d is best played to its best potential when used with other cards, particularly Charmeleon, Meteor falls/ Memory berry.
    If you need cards to get special energy back.. why arent you using them?
    Nor did I quote "a fantastic 120 attack".

Discarding 2 Metal also is a wate for defence: 2 Metal give a metal Pokemon 20 extra defence. You can come with cards like Dark Metal and D rainbow energy, but fact is they can be used much more better then on a Charizard.
    AGAIN, I stated, a single good player with common sense would not put a Metal energy onto Charizard d.. Why? because its a waste. There are so many better options than Metal Energy, Scramble and Double Rainbow Energy are the most obvious.
    If you do want to run Metal energies and want to move it? use Gardevoir d or something. Want to retrieve it? run a Metagross DX line or play energy charge.

Still having problems? DONT USE THIS ATTACK... save it as a last resort and use the rage combo.

And they can "be used much more better than on a Charizard" - I'm sorry? Could you give an example? They are uncommon cards, they suit Charizard d. What else would you do with them? Keep them in a binder and waste your 4 Metal Energy Cards? No offence, but that is one of the worst reasons I've heard for a while.

Again, this card only is useful when you managed to play it correctly,
    If your not going to play ANY card correctly, don't bother playing it at all. From your arguement you have only demonstrated some of the worst possible methods of playing this card.

Last, i still give this card a 2/10, however a 1.5/10 may suit it better.
    In all realism, the worst card I can think of is Base set Gastly. https://www.pokenightmare.com/tcg/baseset/050.jpg and that only scrapes a rating in my opinion of around 2/10. To compare a card that has appeared in tournaments to the same level as Gastly is just appaling.

You seem to find this card "great", reason could be you recently discovered it in a booster pack.
    Matter of fact, I don't own this card at all and you are assuming way to much.

I only point to the facts and not live in a dream.
    The facts? If anything your pointing miles in the wrong direction. And the reference to me living in a dream? :/

And to put a card that has being rated unjustly 2/10 into a positive perspective. In Japan, (where modified is RS-On still) Charizard d is a deck that has appeared a number of times in the metagame.

Secondly, I am a qualified POP Professor for the card game. Which suggests to me that I'm a tad ahead of the rulings, metagame and playing of cards than most people here, and also my decisions are slightly more reliable and reasonable.

Finally, Pojo.com also reviewed this card for Modified, each giving scores out 5, from mostly good & credible reviewers. The average score was 3/5 (or 6/10) which is a lot closer to my 7/10.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    You are talking about few situations were this card could be useful. But you can't count on it these situations may happen everytime. This card is just rediculous. It's pokepower is useful, but not worth to include the card only for that reason into your deck.

Again, this card only is useful when you managed to play it correctly, but you need to concentrate a great part of your deck to supply D Chaizard with those energy again and again. Once those cards ran out, it's defenceless.

Last, i still give this card a 2/10, however a 1.5/10 may suit it better. You seem to find this card "great", reason could be you recently discovered it in a booster pack. Well fine, i'm happy for you. I only point to the facts and not live in a dream.

Greetings,
    Hayate.

Hmm...

4x Dark Metal
    4x Delta Rainbow
    4x Scramble
    4x Double Rainbow
    4x Metal (if you REALLY want to)

Add in searchers and there's about half your deck...not to mention most of those can go on and then come right off for the instant attack EACH turn...

As for the Meteor Falls combo, jwilso72, I wasn't aware of that (I'm very much behind on new cards)...it might deserve another point with that trick.

~Solarys~

OMG, loli~~~!!!111oneone
    Years
  • If you use Holon Tower stadium then you don't have to discard anything to my understanding, because you are not using METAL energy on him.
    Peal of thunder is absolutely useless, because it just end up wasting your cards if you dont have that many energies in the top 5.

anyway, the bottom line is, having only 1 attack with a negative side effect is rediculous on a stage 2.

3/10 I say.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    If you use Holon Tower stadium then you don't have to discard anything to my understanding, because you are not using METAL energy on him.
    Peal of thunder is absolutely useless, because it just end up wasting your cards if you dont have that many energies in the top 5.

anyway, the bottom line is, having only 1 attack with a negative side effect is rediculous on a stage 2.

3/10 I say.

Lol. Actually Holons Research Tower is one of the worst stadium cards to play with Charizard d. The cards text is:

"Each player's basic energy cards attached to Pokemon that has d on its card are both their usual Energy type and [M] type but provide only 1 Energy at a time. (Has no effect other than providing Energy)."

This makes ALL basic energy cards attached to Charizard d, count as a Metal energy (the player has no choice).

Charizard d attack states: "Discard all [M] Energy attached to Charizard." Note it does not say Metal Energy Cards. Therefore if Holons Research Tower is in play ALL basic energy cards attached to Charizard d will be discarded as well as any Metal providing energy cards- so it will discard at least 4 cards.

~Solarys~

OMG, loli~~~!!!111oneone
    Years
  • oh sh!t... i misread the attack text, as normally it says M Egy "cards"... my bad!

Still, this card isnt worth playing...

anyway im the sort of dude playing the Energy spamming style with my Dusclops ex :D, and the pwnz0r GARDEVOIR EX in the last season... i've won a few local leagues with that style - its fast and good against newbs, i say, but it does get boring after a while - i mean, having 30 energies in your deck virtually disables u from doing anything other than spamming energies...

PS: how does rainbow and stuff count, do they count as metals in that case? these new rules get me confused sometimes...

Last edited:

QFred

Behold...
    Years
  • Indeed this is the first time I've seen a so active COTD thread!

And Charizard d is a good card... with the right attachment and the right stadium... it can rock!

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    At the end of the day the majority of TCG players will play this card because of favouritism. If they like Charizard, they'll still play it even if they don't think it's very good.

IceKitten

Sneasel! Ice Beam!
    Years
  • This card isn't very good IMO, but you can use it with DBE in your deck, Metagross DX which can transfer Metal energy and Energy Charge (a bit risky but meh).

You could use Rainbow Energy too if you want to damage yourself if it's worth it o.O

Back