• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A Big Pain In My Rear!!!

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    Scripting is not my section, but wouldn't you need to script
    nearly every tile to show the pokemon's emotion? Then again, they
    cancelled that for Amity Square, so I think they'd just do something like
    "Chikorita looks discombobulated!" or something. Actually, it' be pretty nea
    if the starter followed you around (even though I predict Elm tells you to
    walk with the pokemon when going to Mr.Pokemon just to be safe
    from the dangers of tall grass). Think about it. They'd probably make
    an overworld animation where you send your starter back into the
    pokeball when you go surfing or something, like:

Would you like to surf? YES
    Chikorita! Return! (Animation)
    (Surfing)

Years
    yes. thats true, it w3oudl take alot of work and spcae. But hey, the new DSi is out. By the time HG/SS is out, the DSi's price will probably go down (especially ig here in North America we get it in like December. Go Christmas Sales! =]), so they will probably make the game with the DSi, since i believe it can gold more space and do more things. So ya...

And like everybody else has said, you can easily evolve them on Pidgeys and whatnot!

Years
    I'm just happy they are actually taking the time to remake this game for us. It's nice of them to actually make the game that many have wanted since RSE. They are probably trying out this feature w/ the starter to see if how many people like it or not. If we don't like it, they don't have to have it in the next game (if there is one). I'm happy with just New Bark Town so far. I'm happy about these graphics. BTW, the tree is more like the Platinum tree, not the trees in Diamond and Pearl. I like the look of this town so far and I'm happy with these little details. I appreciate the fact that they are even making this remake and we should be grateful that Pokemon is still around. I know Nintendo will make good decisions. They know what they are doing.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I personally like the concept of the starter being able to follow you around, I just hope it continues when it evovle. As for those of you bashing on the sprite look, I agree it isn't the best, but like said above it could get better and there is a possibility this was only a early version of the game...Game Freak still needs to work out the kinks, maybe add in or take out a few things, and check all the statistics of the game to make sure it's running and functioning well. So who knows, this vid they shows in Pokémon Sunday could have been a beta game, whil the final cut might be more imporved...Just give it some time, and we'll see how it turns out eventually.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I couldn't agree more with f l a s h. The sprites are not half bad, and I bet all of you guys will get used to it.

As for the starter following you everywhere, what about when you're surfing?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Maybe, the pokemon would return to their pokeball then.
    It might be hard to put the trainer and the starter sprite onto the original surfing sprite.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    I would adore having my all time favorite Pokemon Skipper (Swampert) following me around. I mean me and Skipper; we like Ash and Pikachu, tiiiight :D lol

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I think its just restricted to the Johto starters and I would find it tedious if not a big sad point if it does not follow you through your quest and its evolving and it walking through the game in its later stage not only marking your progress but making it feel like you are actually going through a quest with your first Pokemon instead a bunch that mugged you in the grass.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think if they keep the daycare the same, most other pokemon should be able to follow you. If anyone remembers, you could actually go in and check on your pokemon in the GSC daycare. If they do that, then naturally all pokemon would have spritesheets, or at least a front sprite (probably for bigger pokes/legends). It would be awesome if you could have a wailord follow you, but it'd be a pain. Probably only smaller land pokemon...

Last edited:

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Whoa, steady there. Who said anything about scripting? For code like this, all GameFreak would need to do is change the source code and add the other character, and give it a variable that allows for switching. So the only real unfeasibility is making sprites for every single Pokémon for the overworld.

Well, I know in GBA games each script is referenced with a certain sprite through AdvanceMap, so I figured the same would have to be done in these, reference each different script with a different sprite. :/

Back