• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A black cat has just crossed your path...

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Are you a superstitious person? Do you believe heavily on good or bad luck? Do you even believe in all of the many superstitions out there?

I have a hard time when it comes to coins and stuff. If I see a coin facing tails up on the ground or something, I won't take it. I'm not even sure why I'm like this. I also don't like Friday the 13th either. D:

What about you?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I used to, but then I got over it. Now it doesn't phase me. It's like shouting "I'm gonna get hit by a car!" and then nothing happens.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
    A black cat has just crossed your path...

I do believe in luck, but I make my own.

pkmin3033

Sort of, but not really? Sometimes I perceive a rhythm in my life where a lot of good things happen to me, and I start expecting something bad to happen to compensate...or I experience a lot of bad things and wonder what the hell I did to deserve it and when life will stop punishing me for whatever it was. I know it's just my imagination, but sometimes life is just so draining that it really does seem like I'm going through a run of bad luck...I'm sure others know the feeling. That improbable circumstance feeling that makes you think some external power, be it a deity or some secret luck factor, is just screwing with you.

I'm not really superstitious, though. I used to wait for bad things to happen on Friday 13th, although I grew out of it after I had a couple of really good days and realized it didn't really have any basis; it was just another day of the week.

Years
    Sort of, but not really? Sometimes I perceive a rhythm in my life where a lot of good things happen to me, and I start expecting something bad to happen to compensate...or I experience a lot of bad things and wonder what the hell I did to deserve it and when life will stop punishing me for whatever it was. I know it's just my imagination, but sometimes life is just so draining that it really does seem like I'm going through a run of bad luck...I'm sure others know the feeling. That improbable circumstance feeling that makes you think some external power, be it a deity or some secret luck factor, is just screwing with you.

So you're more sort of the person who believes in a kind of karma rather than bad/good luck?
    I'm kind of that way. I tend to find myself thinking that the universe will sort of just balance things out. And that essentially whatever I put into the universe is what I'll receive back.
    I don't know, just a nifty idea more than a strong belief.

Years
    When I'm a kid, I actually believed it. But as I grow older, well, I don't care about that stuff anymore.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Hee. This thread title is funny because I was babbling about my black cat as I saw it. I was like: "She crosses my path all the time!"

But no, I'm not superstitious about much of anything. The only thing I have engraved in my head is this thing my parents invented - it's bad luck to have scissors on the bed. It was something that took me years to get out of because of how they'd yell at me whenever scissors were on the bed. But now that they're not really interacting with me anymore, I'm getting over that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I don't think I ever believed in this stuff, even when I was a little kid. I think I treated them as a game almost. Regarding black cats though.. I have two, and I could never think of them as unlucky :3

Yukari

I don't believe in luck. And I'm not superstitious at all either.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Ah, I believe more in Karma than bad luck/good luck. When I think about Karma, it comes in two forms to me - The first is fairly obvious but the lesser seen explanation, in the feeling of helping someone or otherwise making things better for someone else. That feeling seeing someone open a gift, or when someone thanks you for cheering them up and/or making their day better. I guess that sort of reflects what many have already said, but it's an accurate meaning.

The second, the more mystical form, being "The Great Equaliser", in that what goes around comes around comes into effect. Although it's slightly out there, I truly believe that acting in a way that harms someone else will come back to bite you in the behind eventually, in one way or another, and whether the person you've hurt knows or not. That pushing down a 1st grader in 3rd grade will have you falling down the stairs when you're 60, making fun of someone will cause a slip up that costs a job interview; Every choice, every action has a consequence. And despite not always seeming that way, I see that in some way it comes to everyone... And of course the opposite would be true, those who follow through as good people - especially through tougher times - will be able to find exactly what they need down the line.

I know it seems out there, and there's plenty of examples where it could be said the be proven untrue, but it's something I take a certain comfort in thinking of how everyone flows through the ripples created by their own actions.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm maybe like 2% suspicious, and that's usually only with freaky coincidental stuff like if I get a text/call when I pick up my phone or an IM when I sit down at my desk, that sorta thing. As for stuff like black cats and walking under ladders and everything, absolutely nah.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't consider myself to be superstitious, but a black cat crossed my path on January 1, 2011 and it was the worst year of my life. To this day, I think that had something to do with it. So maybe I am.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    i don't believe in superstition or karma or whatever

i just know that god is a **** and she has it out for me

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    The way I see it, things people can be superstitious about amount to things we can't understand. I firmly believe that it's far from coincidence these things that happen, but never for a moment do I think I have any idea of its working, let alone any control over it. I think it's simply the actions of that greater wisdom, that god, that higher power, just playing around. You never know what they're really gonna do, but as long as youré a smart and giving person you shouldn't expect too bad.

When I deify this power in my mind I do so much more in the fashion of the ancients, and not in the way of Judeo-Christians, mind you - I could go on for a while about how those people approach the gods wrong. To me these things are something to be both loved and feared at the same time, given respect, etc. You know, like the Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians did with their deities. They never had the idea to assume things like personal relationships with the gods or things like that.

Anyway, I digress. I credit the gods to what others call superstition. Let's try not to piss them off, eh?

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    I'm not superstitious, but I am cautious. Not going to barge in somewhere without checking my corners or behind doors. Look before crossing the road, don't text and drive (If teenagers want to do it, sure go right ahead, just don't devalue my property with your roadside memorial), drink two at the most and leave two hours later, drive like the police are on to you, that sort of thing. I'm only superstitious when the animals are running towards me, and away from whatever they're running from.

Years
    I'm not superstitious at all. I'm way too logical about these things. I always think: "There is no realistic way that walking past this cat is going to make me have a crap day".

I don't understand why people are superstitious, apart from them having previous experiences.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I'm not superstitious but I tend to add symbolism to almost everything in my life. I don't know if that actually counts.

Superstition is for children and religious people.
    Normally I would brush aside such a silly comment since I know you're trying to be funny and all, but superstitious people, while the basis behind their beliefs may be false, may use superstition (especially in the form of astrology or religion) to provide a sense of comfort in their lives. I do the same thing with the heavily symbolic way I view my entire life - I wouldn't call it "superstitious" but sometimes people do seemingly illogical things because there is a value that helps benefit their lives in some way.

The history of superstition is interesting, actually. Animals can be superstitious too and oftentimes it is caused by random negative reinforcement. In the cases of many common superstitions, such as walking under a ladder or breaking a mirror causing bad luck, it's very likely that either of those things could hurt you or people nearby, so it's kind of logical why people would be superstitious about it. It may not necessarily cause bad luck but it does prevent someone from doing something potentially dangerous.

Other superstitions evolved from symbols, such as the black cat being associated with witchcraft and forbidden magic.

Today, while most superstitions may not be literally valuable, they can help people emotionally and even spiritually. Some are invalid and may indeed harm people but most superstitions are completely physically harmless. So it can appear pretty bigoted when you claim that individuals who are superstitious are comparable to children. It's also pretty condescending to compare religious folk to children as well, but that's another issue for another time.

I guess what can be taken here is that you probably shouldn't make sweeping condescending statements about people that you only have an understanding of the most fringe of individuals in the group, because even if it's a joke, it won't always be seen that way.

Last edited:
    Back