• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Blast from the Past! Blue vs. Silver

Blue or Silver?

• Blue

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Silver

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • A Blast from the Past! Blue vs. Silver
    A Blast from the Past! Blue vs. Silver

In RBGY and FR/LG Blue (Gary) plays the role as your rival. He's always in a hurry, doesn't care about people and is always cocky and trying to beat you. He becomes the Elite 4 Champion that you have to beat to finish the game. He cracks a lot of jokes at you and didn't quite train his Pokemon with the full respect they should've received.

In GSC and HG/SS your rival is Silver. He is ruthless, cold-hearted and stole his first Pokemon. He treats his Pokemon with no compassion and hates Team Rocket. He believes they are weak and we later find out he is Giovanni's son. After he losses to Lance, the dragon trainer, he realizes that he needs to treat his Pokemon with more respect and he starts growing more friendly with them as you can see when his Golbat evolves to Crobat. However, for the main part of the series, he was ruthless.

Which rival did you like more? The cocky one or the cold-hearted one?

Raczack

Gunslinger
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    Tough call on that one, and I only barely chose Blue. Silver I think was the better character and I always thought he was cool, but Blue pulled enough surprises on me when I first played through that I couldn't help but include him. Suffered quite a few surprises with his random appearances that by the time Gold and Silver rolled around I was twitchy and ready for it. But Blue, he gave me a run for it when I was least ready, and nostalgia is why I care about either of them in the first place.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Hard to decide, but I would ultimately choose Blue.

Silver's back story and development is rather unique and interesting (compared to the vagueness of Blue's story), however, Blue wins it for me in the end because he truly exemplifies what a rival is.

He's always constantly ahead of you at every turn, he's constantly taking the piss out of you for always being behind (thus giving you the motivation to catch up just so that you can kick his cocky butt), he's got one of the best teams out of any NPC in the game, and he's the only rival character to become the League Champion and the first rival to graduate to Gym Leader (plus his team is WAY more of a challenge than Cheren's). He has accomplished the most out of any in-game rival; even through 6 generations, there is yet to be another rival character to equal his greatness.

The selling point for me though is the sheer satisfaction you get after beating him and taking his Championship crown. That initial feeling is one of the best experiences I've had in playing the game.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love them both, but personally, I prefer Silver over Blue. Blue's based off Gary, and that's pretty cool, but the story about Silver's father (or was it his mom?) being supposedly associated with Team Rocket really intrigues me. Plus, him going up against them increases my interest even more; I mean, why would he want to go up against people that his dad businesses with? d: Not only that, but throughout gameplay, he always provides tough challenges when facing you. When I'd battled him at the end of Victory Road, he wound up defeating me, causing me to get back into Pokémon Center through this place all over again from beginning. It was sort of frustrating, but still, haha.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • I seriously have no idea, to be honest. xD;; If Blue was introduced before Gary, then yup. you're right.

The Original Pokemon Red and Green Versions were released in Japan in 1996 and the Anime in 1997. I guess I'm right.

Although, Pokemon Red and Blue Versions' international release in 1998-1999 coincided with the Anime's international release so I can see how you made that mistake.

It's cool though. :)

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I personally think Silver is better than Blue. I liked Silver's character development, even though it was rather small. I like his design, too. I mean, dat red hair. <3 With that, he wasn't a total dick like Blue was, instead just being...emotionless. I like.

His Pokemon of choice appeal to me, as they remind me of Cyrus. All the Pokemon you would consider evil are on his team, being mostly compiled of Ghost, Poison and Dark types. The backstory of him and Giovanni was really interesting, as it was the first time I heard of a rival being related that closely to an evil team, let alone an evil team leader.

he's also a monster coach.

Years
  • It's tough for me to pick, as the two of them are easily my favorite of the rivals overall, but I guess I'll go with Blue. At least he was able to accomplish his goal of becoming the Pokemon League Champion, and was a guy you liked to hate, since he was being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. As for Silver, I loved his backstory and reasons for hating Team Rocket, but I don't think that we ever got to see his full potential.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I still call him Green instead, haha.

Anyways, I choose Silver. He was really an antagonist, not annoyingly cocky like Green/Blue was but sorta properly evil. You disliked him but felt sad for him at the same time, especially in the end.

If this was the PokéSpe manga instead of mostly the games though, I'm not so sure and might have picked Green. Both have cool backstories there, but Green turns into a really interesting character starting with the Yellow arc imo, while Silver of course have interesting stories with Blue (the girl, Leaf or whatever) and Giovanni.

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
    Years
  • I prefer Silver as a rival since he's my favorite rival and his battle theme gives me more spirit to defeat him.He is the best rival in the game since he realized that he should love his pokemon in your final battle.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Never got why people LOVE Silver so much.

All I ever do is complain about design I know, but seriously Silver's design is horrible. I am not frightened by an angry redhead with daddy issues. I don't even feel bad for him I am just annoyed the entire time. Idk Silver just gives me that "sorry for himself angry at the world vibe" and I hate that.

I love Blue (though i usually refer to him as Green also) simply because he is cocky and loves himself. Lol maybe it's because in real life I find myself enjoying these types of people. I am amazed by people who think they are the ♥♥♥♥ and I don't mean that in a bad way. I am literally just like "wow you truly think you're that awesome good for you." In a world where most people look down on themselves these people stick out to me.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I prefer Silver mainly because he has a sub-evil-ish attitude and that Blue is totally annoying. All he ever did was place his unstable footsteps before ours until he finally fell down during the Pokémon League.

Silver's story is more amusing, though, as he managed to steal (read: Pokénapping is bad) a Pokémon from Professor Elm and made it his strongest. He also gets hilariously picked on by Lance, which is a good sight to see. Apart from that, his constant ignorance to how we always beat him and he still has his head up high is amusing.

Back