• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A Dark Story? [May contain spoilers!]

Years
  • This is a thread about Team Flare's plans, events that transpired in the past, and the Legendary Pokémon. If you haven't been at the stage where everything is explained yet and don't want to know yet, please don't read the spoiler.

Spoiler:

What do you guys think of this?

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
  • I'm way behind you, though from what I've gathered from the Glittering Cave Team Flare encounter, that does seem rather dark. They've said they don't care what happens to other Pokemon or other people as long as they can be happy- which I guess is true since they wouldn't need any specific people alive to go through with that plan.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Well, there was that one specific Team Flare member who something along these lines (might've been the leader, idunno):

Spoiler:

Actually, I do think it was Team Flare's leader that revealed this. Regardless, this only darkens the plot O_o

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • X was much darker than any of the other pokemon games. They went down a path I didn't think they would ever go in a pokemon games, though I don't yet know how it differs from Y

Don't read this if you haven't played it yet:

Spoiler:

Quite frankly, I'm happy GF went in this mature direction. I didn't see it coming, and it's definitely different from past endings

Years
  • Woah man, that's intense. I feel like I might not even wanna play it anymore, not because of the spoilers but because it's... So dark. I thought about buying myself Y and my daughter X but Im not even sure I want her to play it now. {XD} Because her head is just full of pink and rainbows and stuff, it might skrew with her brain. But back on topic, I like the new direction Tajiri took in this one. Good stuff.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    X was much darker than any of the other pokemon games. They went down a path I didn't think they would ever go in a pokemon games, though I don't yet know how it differs from Y

Don't read this if you haven't played it yet:

Spoiler:

Quite frankly, I'm happy GF went in this mature direction. I didn't see it coming, and it's definitely different from past endings

NO THEY ARE NOT KILLED WOW... THERE ARE MORE REFERENCES TO THEM AND U EVEN SEE SOME OF THE TEAM FLARE MEMBERS AFTER YOU BEAT THE ELITE 4..

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • NO THEY ARE NOT KILLED WOW... THERE ARE MORE REFERENCES TO THEM AND U EVEN SEE SOME OF THE TEAM FLARE MEMBERS AFTER YOU BEAT THE ELITE 4..

Spoiler:

Though I apologize if I was wrong

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • This entire post contains plot spoilers. Also, keep in mind that I played through X. I have no idea how different Y is story-wise, and I can only speak about X's plot.

I was pleasantly surprised with how dark the plot actually got this time around. When I first saw Team Flare I was all like, "Really? Their whole plan is to make a beautiful world for themselves? It's like Team Galactic's Cyrus meets My Little Pony. Great..."

Eventually, after talking to a bunch of random people along the way who provided some backstory and lore and progressing along in the plot, you get a sense that things are much heavier than they appear. A gigantic war happened in the not-so-distant past that nearly wiped out the region. The death toll was enormous (I can't believe they elaborated on that, by the way!), and I suspected that peace was only achieved at the cost of a huge loss of life. My suspicions were confirmed later on. I thought the backstory tidbits were excellently paced for those who were looking for them, and just enough to make things seem grim and urgent and hint that Team Flare's plans were more dire than they appeared. I never tipped those storytellers though. Screw them, I need to buy new boots.

What really got me was, at the climax of the plot when you head out to Geosange to stop the weapon from being activated, Team Flare members prevent access to the route to the south. They mention that they have to just block out the tortured cries of the Pokemon they're stealing the life from. I think that that little line of dialogue is the darkest Pokemon has ever gotten. Their blatant disregard for life kicked my butt in gear and, for the first time ever, made me actually want to beat the evil team. I didn't think of it as a side-plot that I had to suffer through, I was out for blood.

But, it's not all good, plot-wise. I felt that the way they shoehorned in Xerneas was kind of cheap. I felt no connection to the legendary at all. I think that the player needed some exposure to Xerneas outside of the incredibly vague legend we're told all of twice, and before the climax. Perhaps we could stumble onto the sleeping tree Xerneas before Team Flare nabs it? Could the player have been the one to inadvertently lead Team Flare to Xerneas' resting place? I think that would've given the legend some much-needed exposure. As it stands now, Xerneas feels about as legendary as a Rattata, to me at least. Also, Geomancy seems like a move that is easily exploited by whoever Xerneas is facing. I managed to paraflinch it so that it never got the boosts. Xerneas is absolutely cool in theory, being attuned to the earth and life force and all that, but the story made it seems quite flat. Even a small, post-game sidequest where you take Xerneas somewhere to get some flavor lore and a cutscene would go a long, loooong way into making it seem less flat.

In contrast, the climax of Platinum, while not as dark, certainly built up to an epic finale. Cyrus captures three legends and forges a chain out of their very essence to chain down and control the lords of time and space and create a world not unlike was Lysandre was trying to make. Accidentally summoning a being that is powerful enough to rip our world out of balance and destroy us all was pretty damn awesome.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
  • I felt that the way they shoehorned in Xerneas was kind of cheap. I felt no connection to the legendary at all.
    I disagree, I like the approach they took with this. From my understanding the legendary was the source of a weapon that could wipe out a vast majority of the human and pokemon population. This was just jaw dropping to me and made me even want the legendary more.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I disagree, I like the approach they took with this. From my understanding the legendary was the source of a weapon that could wipe out a vast majority of the human and pokemon population. This was just jaw dropping to me and made me even want the legendary more.

I can see where you're coming from, definitely, but I just feel like that all happened so quickly that I didn't really get a chance to feel that connected to the legendary. It was my understanding that with enough life energy from enough Pokemon and people, they could've activated the weapon without Xerneas.

They didn't really show us that part of the story, or really demonstrate how powerful Xerneas was. We were just told that life was being stolen from it and a bunch of other Pokemon, and then the weapon did all the work.

In my opinion, the problem was that they didn't show us Xerneas' power, they just told us about it. Not only that, they told us about it like 5 minutes before the fight. Compare that to even Gen 2's Crystal version where the legendary plot is paced out and well explained before you even get to Suicune/Ho-oh/Lugia. Sure, those legendaries aren't technically as powerful as a being capable of granting eternal life, but at least we get some story about them!

It was the pacing and how Xerneas was introduced that caused the disconnect for me, I think.

Back