• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

a decent water and fire type pokemon

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    My team right now is Bronzong, Ampharos, Primeape, Blazekin, Lopunny, and I want a GOOD water type.
    I have been trying a few water types out for my team and none seem to really be good at "running with the big dogs". I have tried Wailord thinking its superior HP would be great but sadly with all that HP it only withstands one or two normal hits. So that didn't work. Then I tried Walrein. Its useful to be able to Super Fang their HP in half and then Brine them away but its never fast enough nor does it withstand very much anyways. If a pokemon is going to be slow, it needs to be defensive. I was thinking of trying Swampert. Only one weakness. Would it be best to EV it in HP and attack? Or its defenses? Its stats seemed really good. Or is there another water type that might work better? I also wouldn't mind a better fire type. Blazekin is too slow and too fragile. I thought of Infernape but all you get with him is a faster, physically weaker, and just as fragile version of Blazekin. Primeape seems to do better than Blazekin and Infernape as fighters anyways since he only has two weaknesses and doesn't have to worry about being hindered by water, rock, and ground. So I might as well get a Fire type that isn't part fighting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    i would recomend slowbro (high defence and sp atk and also it knows the attacks yawn and slackoff) or staryu (a werry fast pokemon whit high special attacks that also can learn electric attaks)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Moving this thread to the In-game Team Help section as that is where these sort of threads belong.

If you want advice on compeittive battling teams try the Strategies and Movesets section.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Infernape, no questions asked. Physically frail means nothing when you OHKO everything lol. Grass Knot is more than enough to deal with those 'water ground and rock' types that you lose to.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Gyarados can work for a good water type. If you split the EVs between HP, Atk, and Speed and give it either Jolly or Adamant nature, it can turn out to be fairly bulky. Just make sure to teach it Earthquake to destroy and Electric types it may run into.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    i would recomend slowbro (high defence and sp atk and also it knows the attacks yawn and slackoff) or staryu (a werry fast pokemon whit high special attacks that also can learn electric attaks)

Did you mean its evolved form Starmie?

Infernape, no questions asked. Physically frail means nothing when you OHKO everything lol. Grass Knot is more than enough to deal with those 'water ground and rock' types that you lose to.

Yes, but to have Grass Knot, infernape would have to have a modest nature for grass knot to be effective? mine is adament. if it were modest it wouldn't have any fighting type moves to use. like i said before my primeape hits harder than infernape.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Yes, but to have Grass Knot, infernape would have to have a modest nature for grass knot to be effective? mine is adament. if it were modest it wouldn't have any fighting type moves to use. like i said before my primeape hits harder than infernape.

Infernape generally works best as a mixed attacker. A Naive or Hasty (+Speed and -Def or -SpDef depending on the nature)nature would be best for the Ape. Then a good moveset would be:
    -Flamethrower
    -Grass Knot
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Flamethrower and Close combat are your best STAB moves, Grass Knot hits heavy water, ground, and rock types, and either Stone Edge for more power or Rock Slide for accuracy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Infernape generally works best as a mixed attacker. A Naive or Hasty (+Speed and -Def or -SpDef depending on the nature)nature would be best for the Ape. Then a good moveset would be:
    -Flamethrower
    -Grass Knot
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Flamethrower and Close combat are your best STAB moves, Grass Knot hits heavy water, ground, and rock types, and either Stone Edge for more power or Rock Slide for accuracy.

So would it be best to EV it in speed and split the other half between both attack and sp.attack? Or let his speed be and EV both attacks?

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • but then close combat wont be so strong.

It doesn't have to be. It's strong enough with 120 Base Power + STAB (180 Base Power). And with Ape's high speed, it can still OHKO a lot of pokes.

Also, I'd keep Flamethrower. Fire Blast is too inaccurate and Overheat lowers your SpAtk. Although that's just my preference.

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
  • gyarados
    waterfall
    earthquake
    stone edge / rockslide
    ???

Last slot is up to you, you can use something like thunderbolt or flamethrower for more type coverage. Or go with something like surf to assist with in game movement. Dragon Dance is best BUT some times you don't need it because you have level advantage. Its all up to you :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    It doesn't have to be. It's strong enough with 120 Base Power + STAB (180 Base Power). And with Ape's high speed, it can still OHKO a lot of pokes.

Also, I'd keep Flamethrower. Fire Blast is too inaccurate and Overheat lowers your SpAtk. Although that's just my preference.

I just don't like Infernapes fragality. Thats why I am dumping my beloved Blazekin cause he is slow but powerful, yet has no defense and earthquake kills. Same with Infernape. Fast but not quite as strong and you already know the first OHKO he doesn't get he is a gonner. Any physical sweeper he doesn't knock off will surely blow him away with Earthquake. That how most of Blazekins fights go down but most outspeed him. My Primeape OHKO's Infernapes that don't finish off Primeape in one hit with Earthquake all the time. (And when Primeape isn't choice scarfed. haha) I still say Primeape is the better ape.

gyarados
    waterfall
    earthquake
    stone edge / rockslide
    ???

Last slot is up to you, you can use something like thunderbolt or flamethrower for more type coverage. Or go with something like surf to assist with in game movement. Dragon Dance is best BUT some times you don't need it because you have level advantage. Its all up to you :D

What nature would you give it?

Last edited:

Phantoon14

Actions Define Users
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    Seeming as how this is in-game..
    For Water I would suggest Tentacruel, it's a bulky water/poison that you could give good moves such as -
    Waterfall, Surf, Poison Jab/Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam.
    For Fire try out the Pokemon Rapidash, it's fast and if you can give it Megahorn, Flare Blitz, Bounce and another move depending on your liking it can be quite fearsome.

Remember: If you are having troubling picking in-game teams, use a Pokemon you never use. It "could" turn the tables in your favor.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    what about slowbro or slowking? I could make him a wall. raise his defenses in battle, then maybe trick room the turn before i start to attack. I would probably need a good attack or replace trick room with something to raise his attack power.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    Blastoise??
    High defense and special defense, EV's def 252 spdef 252 atk/spatk 6, nature would lower speed(already slow anyway) then you would just give it a moveset of:
    Iron defense
    Protect
    Aqua Tail
    Hydro cannon/Hydro pump

Milotic??
    high spatk and spdef, Ev's 252 def and 252 spdef, nature would lower speed, then for a moveset:
    Mirrorcoat
    Aqua Ring
    Raindance
    Aquatail

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024

what would you give slowbro?

Back